“Beware...Nasty, nasty hotel.”

Ranked #446 of 507 Hotels in Houston
PR
“Beware...Nasty, nasty hotel.”
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I went to Houston to take a national test and had reserved another 3 star hotel for my stay but when I arrived at 11 pm the hotel was closed due to recent hurricane and neither expedia nor the hotel had informed me. Since it was the week of the Latin Grammys it was very dificult to find another hotel and after being on the phone for one hour with expedia they told me this was the only hotel they could find me and advised me that it was not a 3 star but a 2.5 star hotel. From the outside and lobby the hotel was shabby but not as scary. After cheking in I wandered looking for the room and in the way what I found was a nasty green pool (like the photo from the other review), and nasty hallways full of trash and old appliances.
The hotel is definitively not even 1 star. The room smelled, had a dirty, wet carpet with a big stain, the sheets were itchy and best of all the wall had a big hole, that when I called to report it, they just told me "it's ok". I only stayed there because it was 12 midnight, in the middle of a storm and there was nowhere else to go. After all I should have stayed in my car because I could not sleep all night from the allergies and the smell, I did not dare to shower there and left the next morning to find another hotel. Ohhh... and I tried to go online that night to see if I could find anything else and they didn't have internet (they told me they did).
It was a horrible, horrible experience. I would advise anyone not to stay there. Thank God I found ohter hotels for the next days (Days Hotel-good and Clarionn Inn-excellent) and the test was not for another day.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank PR_Young_traveler

Couples
Solo
Houston TX
Reviewed September 2, 2008

This hotel. .located at Beltway 8 and 290, was selected for its location for an interview with a new company. (The company does not yet have a local office and we wanted to find a temporary place for people to stay while they were here in Houston) We had not (yet) checked in, but my colleague and I were sitting in the lobby (no one else around; this place does NOT serve breakfast) having a conversation while waiting for several other people. We were only there approx. 15 minutes when the manager confronted us, saying that unless we had "business there" we would have to leave. "We can't have strangers holding meetings in our lobby" he informed us. My associate and I closed up our notebooks, and went outside. We met the rest of our group and told them what happened, and we went up the road to a more hospitable Starbucks and held our meeting there.

The Hotel Preet (one of two in Houston) is a former Holiday Inn that has seen better days. I cannot assess the condition of the rooms because we did not check in. However, the lobby was, well, clean but shabby. The front desk clerk was not particularly friendly, and downright hostile to the one guest I saw her interact with. The guest had interrupted what seemed to be a long personal call the clerk was having with someone on the phone. .

• Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank BizTraveler1011

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

Dallas
Reviewed May 1, 2007

This place was terrible. Green pool with Frogs! Exposed electrical wiring! Unidentifiable stains on walls! Mold in shower. Generally dirty. I didn't even put my dirty socks on the floor. Only stayed here because I arrived after 11pm and it was too late to go elsewhere. Left this morning to find a hotel 20 miles away.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank abcdDallas
Denver
Reviewed February 18, 2007

I booked this hotel online using Hotels.com which I have always found to be a reputable site. Hotels.com has it listed as a 3 star with lovely pictures. This was not the case when we arrived. There was only one other car in the entire parking lot! The rooms were disgusting and had a terrible smell. We found stains and hair on the sheets. It is not located in a good neighborhood at all. Very hard to find. The man behind the desk was adequate. When we went to return our key 10 minutes later due to the state of the rooms, the woman behind the counter did not seem a bit surprised. She was helpful and seemed like she got that lot.

I will never go to that hotel again. The three stars should be changed to 1, at the most. Needless to say we got our money back.

• Liked — nothing!!!!
  • Disliked — everything!!!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank efh7557
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 28, 2004

We just went to Houston on a shopping spree and we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Northwest Freeway. We rented 3 rooms and stayed for 3 nights. The service was terrible. There was some kind of weird odor near one of the rooms, we complained to the front desk, they promised to send someone from maintainance, they never did.
The following day we tried to enter the rooms and the three rooms had been "decodified"!!!!! we complained and got new keys.
We got into our rooms, 9 p.m. and the three rooms hadn't been made!!!!! We complained and nothing! When we arrived back home on December 7th, I immediately sent a letter to the Hotel Chain, and so far haven't yet received a response! So do yourselves a favor if you go to Houston, Texas, skip the Holiday Inn Northwest Freeway.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member