“Good option for medical patients”

Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area
Ranked #185 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My mom and I have stayed here when visiting MD Anderson. The rooms are spacious and ours were clean with the normal amenities, the beds are pretty decent. When my mom stayed here she wasn't feeling well and the hotel staff helped her with the breakfast buffet every morning. I'm very appreciative for your kindness and assistance. It's really a short drive to MDA and if you don't have a car the hotel runs a shuttle to the medical district.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Heather C

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff met your expectationis. It is our pleasure to create an enjoyable and peaceful stay, especially for any guests visting our excellent medical center.

If your travels bring you back to Houston, we hope to see you again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your mom.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is obviously an older hotel and could really use a facelift. The hallways are dark and just don't look fresh. There are smoking rooms in the hotel so there is constant wave of stale smoke in the elevators and various areas. We are here because my sister is visiting MD Anderson Cancer Center. The free hourly shuttle to the clinic really made this what we needed; clinic parking is outrageous. We found evidence of a previous guest in our room which was disconcerting, but David at the front desk is always kind, patience and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Andrea T.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is important and we review it with our staff to improve.

We are glad that the hotel met your expectations and the the shuttle was convenient. We hope that your sister's treatment is going well.

I apologize for the isue with your room. We are looking into how a lapse in our high hourkeeping standards may have occurred to correct it.

If your travels bring you back to Houston, we hope you give us another opportunity to regain your trust and confidence, and stay with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a day last year in June. The check in staff was very busy and it took them some time to finally get me a room. The room was nicely made up but the air conditioning did not work that well. The parking outside is not shaded and there are not much trees either, so the cars get really hot. For complimentary breakfast there is an "actual restaurant" and it was well served and very adequate.Overall it was an average hotel stay, but served it's purpose adequately.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Faj2010,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is nice to know that your breakfast experience with us was sufficient. I apologize however for any inconvenience you may have had with the air conditioning systems in your room. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve what we can offer.

We all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again soon and make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G

Reviewed January 7, 2014

With it's location close to the stadiums, they are busy during the seasons. Off seasons, they are available at a low rate with Priceline. It was large and clean, but a bit dated. It could use a refresh.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear MGMTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize we did not exceed your expectations with the condition of our hotel. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had chosen to stay at the Holiday Inn rather than the Holiday Inn Express for our latest trip to MD Anderson because for whatever reason there were no rooms with a medical rate available at the Express. We unfortunately were there right after a Texans game and the hotel was pretty busy with fans everywhere but we had no problem checking in. The room was adequate but I felt that the room at the Express was 10 times better and it was a lot bigger than the room we got at the Holiday Inn. Beds were comfy, bathroom was alright but again I was so impressed with the Holiday Inn Express that this seemed like a giant step down. The hotel restaurant was absolutely atrocious. I wasn't expecting a 4 star dining experience but I did expect it to be better than it was. We ordered 2 appetizer's fish tacos & chips and queso and they were pretty bad. It took about 45 minutes to get our order even though there were maybe 6 people in the restaurant. The chips were stale, queso was thick and lumpy and the tacos were horrible. $38 later we felt we'd wasted our money but we were too tired from traveling to make an issue of it. The one good thing I will say is that it's close to MD Anderson if you have to stay and while we didn't use the medical shuttles, I did see them running. Overall I was not very impressed and I don't think I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator, you'll here everyone going in and coming out of it
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear Denise G,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. Let me offer my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, and hopefully on such occasion we can start to rebuild your trust in our hotel.

Connie D

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for a hair show that was being held at the Reliant Stadium. Although I have family members in Houston, I chose to stay at this hotel because of the close proximity to the Reliant. It was perfect. Besides the location being perfect, the staff was very friendly. The facility was very clean and my room was perfect. I also loved the fact that shuttle service was provided for all those going to the Reliant. The food was great as well. I ordered room service twice and was very pleased with both of my meals. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: You may want to request a refrigerator and microwave ahead of time if you know there may be a need...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Erika J

Thank you for generous and kind comments about our service and great food. Indeed we are very proud of both.

We are also very fortunate to be located, literally on the parking lot of Reliant Center. it is very convenient for events, games and shows.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Best wishes for a avery happy 2014!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

The facilities were spotless! I called the front desk for extra blankets and they arrived within 5 minutes of my call. Beds very comfortable, and the room was very clean. Corridor, floors, carpets and smells where extremely clean. The front desk attendant, Telisa was amazing under pressure. She was dealing with a couple of gentlemen and an older men when I arrived. The two gentlemen were sorting out some sort of discount or whether they could have rooms with breakfast. She politely told the two gentlemen that the discount was not available for the days they were wanting to stay; however, she called someone (possibly online reservations were it sounded they had apparently had their discount story) handed the phone to one of the two gentlemen. While they spoke on the phone, she handled the older man in front of me. She had already acknowledged me to tell me she would help me in a minute. 2 more people showed up, and they got behind me. She acknowledged them as we'll; then, the older men came from outside with whatever information he needed to bring, and went on the side of the desk asking her questions. The 2 gentlemen at the front still we're not making a decision, so she completed the paper work for the older gentlemen, and answered the phone while she was handling paper work. Dealing with the discount guys must have been extremely frustrating for her, yet, Telisha was as polite as any the entire time. Impressive customer service! I traveled from Dallas to the medical city district to visit a relative in the trauma center at Ben Taub. This would be my first choice when spending a night in the reliant/medical city area of Houston. Ulysses c

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ulysses C,

Thank you very much for your comments and for taking teh time to write, especially such a glowing review. Indee, we are very proud of Talisa as she continuously sets a great example for all of us to follow. She represent our true spirit of hospitality and caring that we strive to provide.

We have shared your comments with her and everyone on the team; she was very glad to know that you were pleased.

Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back to Houston soon.

Kind regards and best wishes for a very happy 2014.

S