“Average but Good”

Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area
Ranked #203 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed January 7, 2014

With it's location close to the stadiums, they are busy during the seasons. Off seasons, they are available at a low rate with Priceline. It was large and clean, but a bit dated. It could use a refresh.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear MGMTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize we did not exceed your expectations with the condition of our hotel. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had chosen to stay at the Holiday Inn rather than the Holiday Inn Express for our latest trip to MD Anderson because for whatever reason there were no rooms with a medical rate available at the Express. We unfortunately were there right after a Texans game and the hotel was pretty busy with fans everywhere but we had no problem checking in. The room was adequate but I felt that the room at the Express was 10 times better and it was a lot bigger than the room we got at the Holiday Inn. Beds were comfy, bathroom was alright but again I was so impressed with the Holiday Inn Express that this seemed like a giant step down. The hotel restaurant was absolutely atrocious. I wasn't expecting a 4 star dining experience but I did expect it to be better than it was. We ordered 2 appetizer's fish tacos & chips and queso and they were pretty bad. It took about 45 minutes to get our order even though there were maybe 6 people in the restaurant. The chips were stale, queso was thick and lumpy and the tacos were horrible. $38 later we felt we'd wasted our money but we were too tired from traveling to make an issue of it. The one good thing I will say is that it's close to MD Anderson if you have to stay and while we didn't use the medical shuttles, I did see them running. Overall I was not very impressed and I don't think I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator, you'll here everyone going in and coming out of it
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear Denise G,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. Let me offer my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, and hopefully on such occasion we can start to rebuild your trust in our hotel.

Connie D

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for a hair show that was being held at the Reliant Stadium. Although I have family members in Houston, I chose to stay at this hotel because of the close proximity to the Reliant. It was perfect. Besides the location being perfect, the staff was very friendly. The facility was very clean and my room was perfect. I also loved the fact that shuttle service was provided for all those going to the Reliant. The food was great as well. I ordered room service twice and was very pleased with both of my meals. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: You may want to request a refrigerator and microwave ahead of time if you know there may be a need...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Erika J

Thank you for generous and kind comments about our service and great food. Indeed we are very proud of both.

We are also very fortunate to be located, literally on the parking lot of Reliant Center. it is very convenient for events, games and shows.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Best wishes for a avery happy 2014!

Sergio

Reviewed November 26, 2013

The facilities were spotless! I called the front desk for extra blankets and they arrived within 5 minutes of my call. Beds very comfortable, and the room was very clean. Corridor, floors, carpets and smells where extremely clean. The front desk attendant, Telisa was amazing under pressure. She was dealing with a couple of gentlemen and an older men when I arrived. The two gentlemen were sorting out some sort of discount or whether they could have rooms with breakfast. She politely told the two gentlemen that the discount was not available for the days they were wanting to stay; however, she called someone (possibly online reservations were it sounded they had apparently had their discount story) handed the phone to one of the two gentlemen. While they spoke on the phone, she handled the older man in front of me. She had already acknowledged me to tell me she would help me in a minute. 2 more people showed up, and they got behind me. She acknowledged them as we'll; then, the older men came from outside with whatever information he needed to bring, and went on the side of the desk asking her questions. The 2 gentlemen at the front still we're not making a decision, so she completed the paper work for the older gentlemen, and answered the phone while she was handling paper work. Dealing with the discount guys must have been extremely frustrating for her, yet, Telisha was as polite as any the entire time. Impressive customer service! I traveled from Dallas to the medical city district to visit a relative in the trauma center at Ben Taub. This would be my first choice when spending a night in the reliant/medical city area of Houston. Ulysses c

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ulysses C,

Thank you very much for your comments and for taking teh time to write, especially such a glowing review. Indee, we are very proud of Talisa as she continuously sets a great example for all of us to follow. She represent our true spirit of hospitality and caring that we strive to provide.

We have shared your comments with her and everyone on the team; she was very glad to know that you were pleased.

Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back to Houston soon.

Kind regards and best wishes for a very happy 2014.

S

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

My stay at this hotel was a lukewarm experience. Staff seemed to care, so long as it didn't require too much effort to assist the customer. Also, be aware that their 'shuttle' only goes within a 3 mile radius of the hotel and anything outside of that is considered 'way out there' and no exceptions would be made. So plan accordingly. Room was nice and quite large. Mostly clean, but by no means spotless. I'd stay here again if I had to, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear tyguar,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are pleased you liked our room accommodations. However, I am sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for your feedback as it informs us of ways in which we may better serve our guests to further guest satisfaction.

Zelyn N

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Close hotel to MD Anderson and that is the best quality. The check in clerks seems to care less that we were there. This must be an older holiday inn because everything looks worn out. I didn't expect too much because it's a hotel that caters to people who are here for MD Anderson but our room smelled like some funky air freshener. I suspect that it was to cover the smoke smell, even though it was a non smoking room. The breakfast crew was the highlight of the day. Very, very pleasant and nice. Typical holiday inn breakfast. The bartender must have gone to school with the desk crew because he didn't care that we were there either.

Long story short, it's a cheap place to stay ($108/night for medical rate), close to the hospital and relatively clean just don't expect to be wowed!

• Stayed: November 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear TwoGuysinMemphis,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service received at check in prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were pleased to see your high score for Value as well as your positive comments for the breakfast staff. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed November 12, 2013

For what they charge you are paying for location to events. There are many places that have better interior and larger rooms. The restaurant and bar were okay butte smoke still lingers in the building from the old smoking allowed days. Needs a total renovation.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Justin K

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. it is helpful to travelers and to us.

The hotel rooms and hallways are standard size of all hotels built in the last 25 years, though it is not a suite hotel where the rooms tend to be a little larger (and the rates).

We are now planning the early stages for a full renovation will likely take place next year. it will give the hotle a whole new fresh look and feel.

We are glad you enjoyed the bar and restaurant. Indeed is one of our advantages over smaller, limited service hotels" It is good and convenient.

We hope to see you back soo. Again, thank you

Sergio