Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area
$179
$161
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$85
$139
$105
galahotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewsnrg stadiummedical centertexans gameattending an eventshuttle servicehotel restaurantcommon areaswould stay againfree shuttlehotel staffchecking inreliantrodeokirbyandersonlivestockrates
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

My stay at this hotel was a lukewarm experience. Staff seemed to care, so long as it didn't require too much effort to assist the customer. Also, be aware that their 'shuttle' only goes within a 3 mile radius of the hotel and anything outside of that is considered 'way out there' and no exceptions would be made. So plan accordingly. Room was nice and quite large. Mostly clean, but by no means spotless. I'd stay here again if I had to, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear tyguar,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are pleased you liked our room accommodations. However, I am sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for your feedback as it informs us of ways in which we may better serve our guests to further guest satisfaction.

Zelyn N
Case Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Close hotel to MD Anderson and that is the best quality. The check in clerks seems to care less that we were there. This must be an older holiday inn because everything looks worn out. I didn't expect too much because it's a hotel that caters to people who are here for MD Anderson but our room smelled like some funky air freshener. I suspect that it was to cover the smoke smell, even though it was a non smoking room. The breakfast crew was the highlight of the day. Very, very pleasant and nice. Typical holiday inn breakfast. The bartender must have gone to school with the desk crew because he didn't care that we were there either.

Long story short, it's a cheap place to stay ($108/night for medical rate), close to the hospital and relatively clean just don't expect to be wowed!

• Stayed: November 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear TwoGuysinMemphis,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service received at check in prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were pleased to see your high score for Value as well as your positive comments for the breakfast staff. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 12, 2013

For what they charge you are paying for location to events. There are many places that have better interior and larger rooms. The restaurant and bar were okay butte smoke still lingers in the building from the old smoking allowed days. Needs a total renovation.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Justin K

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. it is helpful to travelers and to us.

The hotel rooms and hallways are standard size of all hotels built in the last 25 years, though it is not a suite hotel where the rooms tend to be a little larger (and the rates).

We are now planning the early stages for a full renovation will likely take place next year. it will give the hotle a whole new fresh look and feel.

We are glad you enjoyed the bar and restaurant. Indeed is one of our advantages over smaller, limited service hotels" It is good and convenient.

We hope to see you back soo. Again, thank you

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I would give this place one star, but gave two because of the friendliness of the staff. In short, AVOID THIS PLACE. If you're a light sleeper, you need to be sure of that especially.

There's this moldy smell everywhere in the hotel except the lobby area. About 30 minutes after I entered my room, I started getting terrible headaches from all the terrible smell. There are no windows that can be opened, and the only way you can get rid of the smell is by turning on the AC, but that doesn't work well either.

Especially useful for the light sleepers: the hotel seems to have plumbing issues; I woke up several times in the middle of the night because my toilet would flush automatically. Also, this hotel has paper-thin walls. If you have a phone conversation in your room, you can be sure that the guest next door will hear it loud and clear. The guy staying next to me was snoring all night long, and I heard it loud and clear. The woman staying on the other side seemed to be suffering from a cold or something, and she was coughing up a storm. Not a fun way to spend a couple of days.

I also found a strand of hair (not mine) on the bedspread. Creepy!

While the staff was very accommodating, this is not a place that I would want to return to. Dirty, noisy, run-down and unimpressive. I'll try my luck with other hotels nearby in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dea Stella K,

Thank you for taking the time to share views on Trp Advisor. It is helpful to other travelers and to us as we continue finding ways to improve our hotel, and service.

We are terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. In the past, during very strong stroms, a little moisture seemed to sip in some areas. To correct that, we recently resealed the entire "envelope" of the building. it seems that it has worked but based on your comments there may be some lingering smell in some isolated areas. We are looking into that.

We are planing a full renovation which will most likely happen next year. This will address issues with additional noise insulation as well. One of the problems is that we do feature a large number of connecting rooms, which is very convenient for families and groups, but because of natural gaps on door frames, noise is harder to isolate to 100%. I am sorry it caused some discomfort.

Indeed we are proud of our staff and their desire to be helpful. We do enjoy servicing the public and finidng ways to ensure our guests enjoy their stay.

I hope you do give us another opportunity to regain your trust and confidence.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

My fiance brought me to Houston to see my first Texans game and booked a room for us at the Holiday Inn Reliant Park. He checked in while I waited in the car, which means that he was the only person that signed the paperwork.

First of all, the hotel floor we stayed on reeked of cigarette smoke. There was a small air purifier (about the size of a shoe box) sitting on the floor in the hallway on the way to war with. The room itself had a horrible order of cigarette smoke. I understand that it was the smoking for, but the carpet and obviously not been shampooed in recent months and no one had ever bothered to Fabreeze the floor or rooms between guests. There was brown swirling fur on the ceiling over the bed from months or years of cigarette smoke, and empty potato chip bags underneath our bed. The hotel phone lines were down, and one entire electrical outlet did not work, meaning that the alarm clock and lamp plugged into it also did not work. I spoke to the manager, Kimbra, on the the morning after we checked in, and let her know about the problems we had with the room. She very kindly took my name and information and then gave us a reduced rate for the second day of our stay.

When we returned from lunch that day, the room keys we had been given the night before no longer worked, and my fiance took them down to the front desk to have them re keyed for the next day of our stay. We went to the football game that night happy for the super short commute across the parking lot to the stadium.

Unfortunately, I have a bad knee from the old car accident, and after a few hours of walking up and down the stairs and ramps and sitting in the small chairs in the stadium, was in a great deal of pain. So I left during the third quarter and limped back to the hotel room, leaving my fiance to enjoy the game. That's when everything really fell apart.

the new card key we have been given that afternoon did not open the door, so I went back to the front desk and asked them to fix it so I could get upstairs and into a hot soak for my knee. The gentleman who identified himself as a night time supervisor refused to rekey my card because he said he could not find my name on the paperwork. He asked for identifying information, which I gave, along with the name of the manager I had spoken with that morning who took my name and information. He told me she was not available and refused to call her to check about the conversation we had had that morning. He also told me that I was lying when I told him she had given us a rate of $89 for the second day of our stay, due to problems with the room. He said nobody had a rate that low and that I should stop making things up. He then told me that my fiance could have had any girl up there in the room and he was not going to allow me back in without him. He told me to wait in the lobby until my fiance returned. I kept telling him that I was in a great deal of pain, which is the only reason I was not at the game with my fiance. He was incredibly hostile and rude. And never offer to either call my fiance and ask who I was, or simply check the communication records from earlier that morning where my name and IGH Rewards member information had been taken. After telling me that he had been a manager for 15 years and knew exactly what he was doing, and that I just didn't understand business, he finally rekeyed the card so I could go back up. He swore that the card my fiance was still holding would still work, but I had a feeling it would not. I made it about 4 feet from the front desk before my knee gave out completely. He called to me and asked sarcastically if I needed a wheelchair to get back to the room. I made it to the elevator, and burst into tears of pain and frustration. I desperately needed to get into some hot water, but knew that when my fiance got back, he would not be able to get into the room, and I might not be able to get myself out of the bath tub to let him in. So I waited the hour for him to return, listening to a drunken couple fighting in the hallway outside of our room. Sure enough, his key card did not work. I let him in and he helped me into a tub, furious at how I had been treated in his absence. In his words, they treated me like "street trash." I understand that the night time supervisor did not find my name on the paperwork when he first looked, but a few minutes of investigation would have shown him that I was noted on the account and everything could have been taken care of in a much more respectful, caring, and professional way.

The next morning, Kimbra did apologize for his treatment of me, and offered us 5000 reward points for our inconvenience.

All in all, a very upsetting stay. Plus the team lost. Which certainly isn't their fault, but still sucks. :-)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Vikki T

Needless to say, we are speechless by the number of difficulties you encountered while staying with us. We hope your foot is better by now. It must have been indeed very frustrating to endure the pain of walking up and down ramps, then back to the hotel and then not being able to enter your own room. Of course, in this day and age, hotels are extra careful to verify who has access to rooms, so it is typical to double check that anyone asking for a key is indeed a registered guest. Since we did not have any major malfunctions with the key system, perhaps the clerk entered one night stay only, and the leys aqutomatically reset at noon, or perhaps you extended your stay, but the key wasnt updated. We should've done so.

As for the smell of smoke, with only one smoking floor, it seem the smell is reallyconcentrated there. But we do shampoo the carpets on the hallways and in the rooms regularly, especially on that floor.

I am glad that Kimbra was able to compensate you for the difficulties. But please feel free to reach out to me 713-576-5070 to discuss further.

We also share your disappointment about this season for the Texans...

Again, thank for your comments. thy are helpful to us, to see how we can fine tune our operation.

Kindest regards,