“The stay sucked AND the Texans lost.”

Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area
Ranked #193 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

My fiance brought me to Houston to see my first Texans game and booked a room for us at the Holiday Inn Reliant Park. He checked in while I waited in the car, which means that he was the only person that signed the paperwork.

First of all, the hotel floor we stayed on reeked of cigarette smoke. There was a small air purifier (about the size of a shoe box) sitting on the floor in the hallway on the way to war with. The room itself had a horrible order of cigarette smoke. I understand that it was the smoking for, but the carpet and obviously not been shampooed in recent months and no one had ever bothered to Fabreeze the floor or rooms between guests. There was brown swirling fur on the ceiling over the bed from months or years of cigarette smoke, and empty potato chip bags underneath our bed. The hotel phone lines were down, and one entire electrical outlet did not work, meaning that the alarm clock and lamp plugged into it also did not work. I spoke to the manager, Kimbra, on the the morning after we checked in, and let her know about the problems we had with the room. She very kindly took my name and information and then gave us a reduced rate for the second day of our stay.

When we returned from lunch that day, the room keys we had been given the night before no longer worked, and my fiance took them down to the front desk to have them re keyed for the next day of our stay. We went to the football game that night happy for the super short commute across the parking lot to the stadium.

Unfortunately, I have a bad knee from the old car accident, and after a few hours of walking up and down the stairs and ramps and sitting in the small chairs in the stadium, was in a great deal of pain. So I left during the third quarter and limped back to the hotel room, leaving my fiance to enjoy the game. That's when everything really fell apart.

the new card key we have been given that afternoon did not open the door, so I went back to the front desk and asked them to fix it so I could get upstairs and into a hot soak for my knee. The gentleman who identified himself as a night time supervisor refused to rekey my card because he said he could not find my name on the paperwork. He asked for identifying information, which I gave, along with the name of the manager I had spoken with that morning who took my name and information. He told me she was not available and refused to call her to check about the conversation we had had that morning. He also told me that I was lying when I told him she had given us a rate of $89 for the second day of our stay, due to problems with the room. He said nobody had a rate that low and that I should stop making things up. He then told me that my fiance could have had any girl up there in the room and he was not going to allow me back in without him. He told me to wait in the lobby until my fiance returned. I kept telling him that I was in a great deal of pain, which is the only reason I was not at the game with my fiance. He was incredibly hostile and rude. And never offer to either call my fiance and ask who I was, or simply check the communication records from earlier that morning where my name and IGH Rewards member information had been taken. After telling me that he had been a manager for 15 years and knew exactly what he was doing, and that I just didn't understand business, he finally rekeyed the card so I could go back up. He swore that the card my fiance was still holding would still work, but I had a feeling it would not. I made it about 4 feet from the front desk before my knee gave out completely. He called to me and asked sarcastically if I needed a wheelchair to get back to the room. I made it to the elevator, and burst into tears of pain and frustration. I desperately needed to get into some hot water, but knew that when my fiance got back, he would not be able to get into the room, and I might not be able to get myself out of the bath tub to let him in. So I waited the hour for him to return, listening to a drunken couple fighting in the hallway outside of our room. Sure enough, his key card did not work. I let him in and he helped me into a tub, furious at how I had been treated in his absence. In his words, they treated me like "street trash." I understand that the night time supervisor did not find my name on the paperwork when he first looked, but a few minutes of investigation would have shown him that I was noted on the account and everything could have been taken care of in a much more respectful, caring, and professional way.

The next morning, Kimbra did apologize for his treatment of me, and offered us 5000 reward points for our inconvenience.

All in all, a very upsetting stay. Plus the team lost. Which certainly isn't their fault, but still sucks. :-)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Vikki T

Needless to say, we are speechless by the number of difficulties you encountered while staying with us. We hope your foot is better by now. It must have been indeed very frustrating to endure the pain of walking up and down ramps, then back to the hotel and then not being able to enter your own room. Of course, in this day and age, hotels are extra careful to verify who has access to rooms, so it is typical to double check that anyone asking for a key is indeed a registered guest. Since we did not have any major malfunctions with the key system, perhaps the clerk entered one night stay only, and the leys aqutomatically reset at noon, or perhaps you extended your stay, but the key wasnt updated. We should've done so.

As for the smell of smoke, with only one smoking floor, it seem the smell is reallyconcentrated there. But we do shampoo the carpets on the hallways and in the rooms regularly, especially on that floor.

I am glad that Kimbra was able to compensate you for the difficulties. But please feel free to reach out to me 713-576-5070 to discuss further.

We also share your disappointment about this season for the Texans...

Again, thank for your comments. thy are helpful to us, to see how we can fine tune our operation.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

This hotel is located reasonably close to the medical center, which is where I needed to be. It was also a decent price, and there was free parking outside.

My first impression on getting to the floor that my room was on was that the hallways smelled like cigarette smoke. My room was clearly marked with a no-smoking placard, but also smelled like smoke. After staying only one night, the pervasive smoke has permeated my suitcase and laptop bag. I am having a hard time getting rid of the smell, and the smell has transferred onto clean clothes which I put in the suitcase for a new trip.

The room was also a little run down, with the electrical outlets not actually attached to the wall (when I pushed my laptop charger plug into the socket, the entire assembly sunk into the wall). The hot water took a long time (2-3 minutes) to warm up, but once it was hot it remained that way.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Andrew N

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor and for your feedback.

We are very sorry to learn that there was an unpleasant smell in your room. While the vast mahority of our rooms and floors are non-smoking, there are ocassions when some guests still smoke in their non-smoking rooms even at the risk of paying a $200 clean up fee.

When we realize that is the case, the rooms are put through a deep cleaning process, but sometimes some smell lingers a short time after, unfortunately.

We are on the early stages of a renovation planning which will most likely happen next year, giving the hotel a welcome fresh look.

Again, thank you for your comments. We hope to see you back again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here within the last two weeks. The waitresses in the bar, Elizabeth and Monica, are very good. The black guy bartender, not so much -- not friendly at all. the prices of the drinks have gone thru the roof, as have the menu items. Also, the menu does not have any nachos, quesadillas, buffalo wings, etc....typical bar food. If you are trying to be an upscale bar, it's not working. Little flies always buzzing around too.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Elaine S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was disappointed to read that when you visited the bar you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guests in the future. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced due to the service received.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Thank you to the entire staff for being friendly and welcoming to us throughout our stay. The rooms were quiet and comfortable. Good job all the way around. What a well managed hotel. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear LLLLLT,

Thank you for your nice and generous feedback. It was a our pleasure having you stay with us and we are glad you enjoyed your experience.

We hope to see back again if your travel plans bring you to Houston.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here Sat. Night before the Texans/Titans game. Upon check-in, Anthony was very friendly and helpful. The lobby and bar area are very appealing. After exiting the elevator on the 3rd floor, my opinion changed. The musty smell started there. The musty smell in the room was terrible. The room was clean, but was outdated. The air conditioner in the room was inconsistent and very humid. It was either too cold or too warm. We could never find a comfortable temp.
Sunday morning we decided to eat breakfast in the restaurant. There's no continental breakfast. The buffet is $13.95 per person. It was terrible! The biscuits were hard, the fruit had mold on it, and the bacon tray was empty and never re-filled. I'm not one to fuss about a meal to the waitress, but after telling her, she comped our meal.
The convenience of being able to leave our car in the secure hotel parking lot for no extra charge and walk through the back gate onto Reliant property was awesome, but over-all, I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Carrie0514

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback i TripAdvisor, and thank you for your well-balanced review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the welcome hospitality of Anthony, and we are sorry that you were disappointed with the rooms as well as the restaurant.

While the hotel is very clean and well-maintained, indeed it could use some updating. In fact we're in the initial stages of planning a full renovation.

As for the restaurant, not certain was it was not properly communicated but we have a daily Continental breakfast buffett in addition to a hot full breakfast with fresh eggs, fresh waffles, and many other items. There is no excuse however for the quality to have been less than excellent, so we are using your obsevations as a time to review our procedures to ensure the food always stays fresh, hot and delicious..

I hope you do give us another opportunity to regain your trust and confidence.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Closest hotel to Reliant Stadium. Really needs to be updated some. It was ok but not quite up to Holiday Inn standards. Disappointed in mattressed-also not typical Holiday Inn- very worn and saggy. BUT you cannot beat being able to walk out the back door and into Reliant parking lot and not having the hassle of parking etc! Staff very nice!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wpdaniel

Dear Wpdaniel

Thank you for your comments. Indeed our location is excellent for Reliant as well as Medical Center.

We are in the initial planning stages of a major renovation which will update the entire hotel. Although the hotel is very clean and well-maintained, it could use an update.

Indeed our staff is very nice; we enjoy taking care of our guests, making everyone feel at home and welcome.

We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband attended a seminar in the Medical Center for a few days and I relaxed in the hotel most of the time. Wonderful pool and absolutely pristine, and lovely landscaping. Very relaxing. we thought the hotel rooms were a little dated but the place was impeccably clean and seemed to be well-maintained. The employees were extremely nice and friendly. Bruce at the bar and Elizabeth were always around in the evenings and knew what we liked to drink. The food was surprisingly good for a hotel, though on the expensive side, but we didn't mind because it was really sooo good. Our maid was always smiling and though her english wasn't very good, she always said hello and good morning. One of my best friends's daughter is getting married near Pearland and I will recommend that they have their wedding there. I assume the food is as good for a banquet than at the restaurant or bar. All in all, we really enjoyed being there and can't wait to next year when we have to come back to the area again. we will definitely stay there. Keep up the great work and thank you for a wonderful week away from home. Our only complaint is that their business center only had one computer which was always being used. They should add another one (at least). Also put movies in the rooms besides HBO.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool. They also have an amazing pool of the Astrodome.