“Fire alarm and roaches in the room”

Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area
Ranked #184 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Fire alarm and roaches in the room”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed two weeks at this hotel with my father because of the medical problems that needed to be near the Medical Center. At first we were satisfied, until they started the first mistakes ... the first 2 nights the fire alarm sounded at 4am and then 5am and the next night at 3am, forgot to do the room, or had problems with the shuttle, that did not happen to pick to us by the hospital. The last night, to top this experience a cockroach walked me by the arm while watching tv in bed.

• Stayed June 2013
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Leonardob0880,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for you comments. They are very helpful to us in finding ways to improve our beautiful hotel and service.

I am terribly sorry about the fire alarm, which indeed - and fortunately, turned out to be false. We have recently completed installation of a full upgrading and updating of our fire alarm system and it loked like one sensor on the ground floor was overly sensitive. This was corrected and the entire system recalibrated to prevent false-positive readings.

Of course it is never a convenient time when a fire alram sounds, but we appreaciate that at 5am it can be rather annoying. While we are glad our new fire alarm system works, we sincerely regret the inconvenience that it caused.

As for the visitor you noted, it is alarming and most unsual as this is not a common problem at our hotel. We are under contract for monthly service by one of the most distinguished pest control companies in the country. Perhaps the incredible high heat in Houston recently may have driven some of these undesirable Texas habitants into sheltered areas, past the various traps and preventive measures set up. We have notified out company so that special application is applied.

We hope and trust that the medical treatments for your father have produced positive results. We wish you both well, and I do hope you give us another oppourtinity to regain your trust and confidence and you stay with us again if your travels bring you to our wonderful city of Houston.

Kind regards,
Sergio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
houston, tx
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Good, clean hotel with very friendly staff. Excellent location near Medical Center and next to Reliant Park. Free and easy parking with easy access to I-610 loop. Nice pool. A little dated but clean and well maintained. Good rates and surprisingly good food. It just needs a renovation and updating. Will come back.

• Stayed June 2013
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Bigape100

Thank you very much for your nice comments. We are indeed proud of our team and we enjoy taking care of our guests. We look forwrad to seeing you back again soon.

Again, thank you!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Haven't been in a holiday inn in quite a while..I'm staying here for a couple of days for some seminars we have to attend..I'm sharing a room w a friend but we both have our own bed..she goes to her bed to put her shoes under the bed and she finds two open dirty condoms and one empty beer bottle..so i go check under my bed to also find one dirty condom..the room looked nice and all but come on,what's the point of having housekeeping if they don't do their job right..we went down to let them know at the front desk and not even a sorry were we given..just sent up a housekeeper that looked pretty pissed and she took them and left..what a disappointment...

1 Thank rmartir
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Rmartir

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations as this is helpful information for us to remedy any ocassional lapses of our high service standards.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the oversight while cleaning your room and equally important for not conveying to you our concern, empathy and embarrassment. It turns out we were training a new housekeeper and we apparently did not follow through as fully as necessary to ensure she is yet capable to do the job.

Notwithstanding, it seems we should have responded a manner more typical of our team. I am terribly sorry.

I hope you do give us another opportunity to regain your trust and confidene on a future visit to our great city. Please let me know if there is anything we could do to assist at this time.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for two nights to attend an event at the Reliant Center. Yes, its not a fancy upscale place but it was very comfortable and convenient. The front desk staff was exceptionally pleasant and helpful. Got in late my first night and had dinner at the bar area. Very nice folks there and had a great burger. Was very happy with it. The rooms could use updating (as can most hotels if they have not been refreshed in the last few years) but it was clean, comfortable and certainly large enough. Lots of places to eat in the area in walking distance

Wouldn't stay here if I was visiting downtown Houston, since its a bit further out near Reliant Stadium and the medical area. However if you need to be in this area, it is certainly a very good choice. I use try to stay at Starwood hotels but since having a terrible experience at a W hotel, I am trying other brands. If in the area, I would certainly stay again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Worldtraveler123451
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Cataloging Executive

Thank you very much for your nice comments and taking the time to share your epxerience. Indeed we are very proud of our staff, how friendly and gracious they are and how much care they take in maintaining it clean and tidy,

We look forward to seeing you back again soon when your travels bring you to Houston.

Kind regards,
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Customer Service really stinks. I encountered more problems with my room and the staff hear then I have ever anywhere. I spoke with the AGM and she just blew me off as if I had a problem. My keys never did work so ever time I came in I had an issue. The hotwater took forever to get hot. I needed the the shuttle to pick me up and it took 30 mins to pick me up 3 mins from the hotel. I spoke with the AGM again about her staff and she made up more excuses and proceeded to tell me about her troubles in her life as if I cared. I must say the security guards took very good care of any of our needs bless them both. The breakfast was great and the location was wonderful with me being a medical patient but I really wish someone would teach this hotel customer service and organization.

Room Tip: get the city view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank James W
Mark S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the problems encountered with our service level. Our main goal is to make sure our guests receive the quality service they expect when staying at a Holiday Inn and it is evident that we did not meet the expectation. We are addressing the issues with our management team and reviewing standards with the staff. It is good to hear that you were pleased with our location, security team as well as breakfast. We would like the opportunity to have you stay with us again so you can experience our true standards. Again, we appreciate your feedback.
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am a patient at MD Anderson so I expected accommodations suitable to someone who is sick as well as tourists, especially since they advertise as being close to the medical area. We were so disappointed that we left and spent the last 2 days of our stay elsewhere. There was no continental breakfast which is very common these days and are present at all the other hotels close to MDA. The room was very small with barely enough walking space from the end of the bed to the wall of the room. The bathroom was less than clean as noted by hair in the bath tub and mold on the tile. The grab bar was in a less than suitable place in the tub. Had I slipped it wouldn't have been very helpful to grab on to. We have since returned to Houston but stayed at the Mariott Court which I DO recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank lakerunner1950
Thank you for your review. We apologize that you did not have a positive experience during your stay. Your valuable feedback is vital to our continued success and allows us to immediately address those areas. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will revisit us in the future to see the efforts we have made to improve our standards.
Camden, Arkansas
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great hotel with a perfect location. I could get to M D Anderson in just a few minutes. Close to a lot of restaurants. Starbucks is just a few blocks away. Comfortable beds. Quite atmosphere. Oh man, the view of Reliant Stadium from my 10th floor room was spectacular. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CrisandJM-Travels
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your endorsement and agree that our hotel is a great location to the Texas Medical Center as well as Reliant Stadium. Our complimentary shuttle service within a (3) three miles radius is definitely a convenience for our valued guest. Again, we thank you choosing to stay with us and look forward to your next visit to Houston.