“A unusually pleasant convention hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Houston

Four Seasons Hotel Houston
Ranked #13 of 492 Hotels in Houston
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A unusually pleasant convention hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Was in town during the Society of Women Engineers - the Four Seasons hotel is beautiful, convenient, and surprisingly quiet. Hotel staff friendly and accomodating. I was in room #1001 - at the end of the hall and I never heard a peep of hall noise. AC worked great (it was unusually warm and humid in Houston). Room was provided with coffee maker, coffee, bottled water, and even 1/2 and 1/2 so you could have a decent cup of coffee in the room. Bathroom spacious and well-provided. Common spaces were spacious and relatively un-chaotic. We had a recption in their restuarant Quatro and it was well done. I had a relaxing breakfast in the same restuarant next morning. Our meeting room was also comfortable and well appointed. This part of Houston is typical modern downtown - hotels, convention center, offices, etc. An advantage was the large upscale grocery store across the street - a great alternative for fresh food when you get tired of hotel and meeting fare. The one downside is that the grocery store doesn't open until 9 AM on weekends. Runners have convenient access to Buffalo bayou park. All in all, a good experience.

Room Tip: Although my room 1001 was very quiet - there was periodic loud street noise. Although I was there on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I recently traveled to Houston for business and stayed, along with a number of my colleagues, at the Four Seasons. The service we all received was standout as was the room. I was especially impressed with the personalized touches in my room and bathroom (e.g., eye makeup remover and an offer of a free glass of wine in the hotel bar). The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very spacious. Certainly up to Four Seasons' standards!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are extremely spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tiki Island, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel staff are great and very friendly. Our room was spacious however there wasn't much of a view. Our only disappointment was that we had to request to have a coffe machine put in our room. It appeared after asking but we were surprised at this level of hotel; it wasn't already provided.

Room Tip: Ask to see if there are any rooms with a "view"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Four Seasons in Hosuton this May for four nights on a business trip. I was attending a convention at the nearby George Brown Convention Center.

This was my second visit to Houston, and by and large I can see a huge difference. The area around the Convention Center has been cleaned up (and that includes the hotel location). They've planted a park with trees, flowers, a pond and even a tea house. So Houston is definitely moving beyond its image of being a city of heat, dust and ugly concrete. The walk from the hotel to the Convention Center is short, and crosses part of the new park, so overall it feels like being in the same complex. This is a great plus and Houston is a city that is very spread out and where you can easily lose a lot of time travelling, even to places that are supposedly close by.

The hotel is also well located for other attractions in Downtown Houston. The main shopping street is just some blocks away (but honestly speaking not all that interesting, so I wouldn't go there). There are a number of neat bars some of the back streets around the hotel so those are well worth popping into. Also around the corner is the Houston Pavillions, a collection of themed restaurants and music bars all in one building. So you'll have no trouble spending your free time when you're here. I also recommend taking a walk around some of the older parts of Houston which are roughly North and West of the hotel. Personally I was impressed by the different architectural and historical styles. Most recommendable is the Gulf Building (also called Morgan Chase Building) which is an architectural landmark (you can go on a tour). They also seem to be cleaning other parts of Houston up as there is quite a lot of building and renovation going on and much of the ugliness there used to be is gone. One down side, and this has definitely increased since last time I was in Houston, is the number of homeless people and beggars roaming the streets, carrying their belongings in big bags. You see them all day but they seems to get more at night. They aren't dangerous or aggressive but it's still a sorry and uncomfortable sight.

Another thing I can recommend is taking a ride on the Metro. Despite what it's name suggests this is not a traditional metro with tunnels but a streetcar that runs through the streets of Houston and is an interesting way to see different parts of the city, passing several major parks, green areas, universities and other points of interest, and is also a great venue for people watching.

The hotel is quite easy to find. The architecture is a bit nondescript, but difficult to miss nonetheless. The doors were opened for me by a doorman and the receptionist helped me immediately. Besides the hotels and bars I mentioned previously, the hotel has several bars/restaurants of its own. I later tried the one downstairs. Although it was very late at the time (I guess it must have been the early hours of the morning), I was surprised they could still get me something to eat. The choice of drinks was also surprisingly good for a hotel bar and the barman very professional and knowledgeable about it. It was a bit lacking in atmosphere though as most other people there were serious business types and they went to bed quite early.

The hotel has a gym and even an outdoor pool but I only had a quick look at those as I didn't have time for more. Especially the pool did look very inviting, so if I ever come back I'll try and spend some time there. My room was higher up. The view from the window was idionymous with what much of Houston is about. In the foreground a massive expanse of derelict land, temporarily used for car parking, further away some buildings that looked as if they were soon to be torn down. I later discovered there are many more places like these. This is the surreal contrast that typifies Houston: Fancy hotels and many modern skyscrapers that are the HQs of multinationals, and right next door derelict plots and ruined buildings. It makes me wonder how the economics of all that works, and why the people who own what must be very expensive land don't do anything with it.

The room itself was good but nothing extraordinary. The bed was comfortable though and everything was clean. I didn't check out the minibar, but the ice cubes were filled up every day. Despite being in the middle of Houston, the room was very quiet and I think i slept very well. The bathroom was very tastefully designed, with lots of patterned tiles emanating a warm feeling, making you want to spend a lot of time there.

I think the rooms have free WiFi, but I didn't get around to testing that.

All in all, the hotel was very well run. The staff were good, the hotel was extremely clean and I can find no fault with any part of it. The interior decoration is on the whole tasteful and makes you feel at ease. The location is also good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
DBurghartz, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Houston, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

I wish to personally thank you for taking the time to share such detailed and informative observations regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons Houston. Your overview of our property and the surroundings gave us an enlightened perspective of what our guests experience, and it was most helpful. It was gratifying to note that you found many positive improvements in our city; however, there are clearly areas that need further progressive development. Most important, it was very rewarding to learn that overall you found our hotel well run, pleasingly decorated, and found our staff accommodating and supportive. We feel very fortunate to have a dedicated and caring team here, and your kind remarks were shared with them. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Four Seasons Houston in the future.

Warm regards,
Dirk Burghartz
frisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Four Seasons Hotel in downtown Houston is a great location and beautiful building! The staff are all very nice and professional. I did find that my one night stay was not worth the money spent as the AC in my room did not work well and I couldn't sleep hardly at all and any sleep I did get was terrible due to the warmth and stillness of the air in the room. Next time I am in Houston I am sorry to say but I will not be going back to the Four Seasons Hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure the AC is to your liking before you try and go to sleep in the event that you need to chan...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
DBurghartz, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Houston, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. Your compliments regarding our staff, service, location and building itself mean a lot to us and the feedback is always taken seriously. I'm truly sorry that your first experience with us did not go well due to the A/C in your room. We will have that unit checked out immediately.

If you happen to stay in downtown Houston again, we would love to make it up to you. Please reach out to me directly and I will personally make your reservation. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to get another chance.

Kind regards,
Dirk Burghartz
713-652-6200
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The hotel was very nice and the staff looked for opportunities to serve. You won't be disappointed. We stayed there for our ten year anniversary getaway and they made it very enjoyable. We typically don't eat at hotel restaurants but the reviews were good enough to give it a try. We were very glad we did, the food and the service were over the top. The pool area was very nice as well. It was different for us not staying in the Galleria area but we enjoyed the change. The George R. Brown convention has self serve bike rentals that we took advantage of to see more of the downtown area.

Room Tip: We chose to overlook the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Like everyone has posted, the physical structure and dated looks of the building inside and out is very obvious. That said, the staff was one of the most outstanding crew I have ever encountered in a hotel. Wonderful service all around. Super nice caring people...Four Seasons all the way.
Very low key hotel. The outside pool and bar area is very nice. Great service here too. Check in and out was a breeze. Valet guys exceptional. Housekeeping fantastic, breakfast was excellent. The hotel is close to many things in downtown and wonderful hidden gems of the locals. The spa was booked but they sent me to the Hilton 2 blocks away and I had a great massage. The Hilton is gorgeous inside, brand new...I do not know if their service was as top notch as the Four Seasons but their Spa staff was great.
Do not let the outdated looks of the hotel stop you from staying here. I am sure they will update soon.
This was our first time in Houston and both my husband and I agreed that this city has the nicest people we have ever met. We will be back.

Room Tip: Over looking the pool probably has a nicer view than the other side of the hotel facing buildings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple