“Mixed Feelings”

Four Seasons Hotel Houston
Ranked #20 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Granted, the luxury hotel market in Houston is somewhat limited, but I was pretty disappointed in the Four Seasons. The valet staff were very prompt and friendly, so I do want to give special thanks to them because they made a wonderful first impression.

The lobby is nice. There is something very retro about the chandeliers, but it somehow works. Overall, I would say the lobby is quite impressive and in line with the purported star rating of the hotel. The exterior, however, is very very 70's. There is absolutely nothing they can do about that, but you cannot help but notice it.

The desk clerk was quite pleasant. I cannot remember her name, but as with most people at the hotel, if you were interacting with them in person, they delivered top-notch service. My biggest complaint about the service, and it is a big one, is that they NEVER answer the phone promptly. I literally would let the phone ring 30+ times, still with no answer. So then I would try housekeeping, the concierge, room service, anybody...same thing. For a five-star hotel, it is pretty unacceptable for this to occur. One time - sure; things happen. This problem, however, existed throughout my entire stay.

As others have noted, there are certain elements that make the hotel appear quite dated. The elevators are ancient and should definitely be at the top of the list for upcoming renovations. The tracks on the drapes in the room were also quite old. The rooms were pleasant, but not extraordinary. I had to switch rooms, however, because the first one had a very awful musty smell. We were then moved to a room on the level with the pool. It was okay, but it felt very dark. Also, the pool area looked a bit worse for wear. I can imagine how luxurious this place must have been in its prime, but that prime has certainly passed.

One thing that I find absolutely unforgiveable about this hotel, though, is the ice machine room. They need to remove all signage relating to the ice machine and make guests call to have ice delivered. I had the misfortune of going to fetch my own ice, and I walked into a room that was filthy, covered in trash and clearly (hopefully) not meant to be seen by guests. I was so shocked. For any hotel above 1 star, I would expect more.

The location is great, and you are able to get out of the city quickly, but I was surprised at how dead Houston is at night. Clearly, this has nothing to do with the hotel, so I am not trying to make any connection there; I was just surprised. I would think it might be wiser to stay near the Galleria if you are looking for something other than just a business stay.

All in all, the stay was "ok"; nothing really wow'ed me about this place, so I guess that disappoints me, but I tend to find that to be the case with Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton properties. They rely a lot on name recognition and branding, but they always seem to fall flat for me, both in terms of service and design/aesthetics.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCTraveler1979
DBurghartz, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Houston, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons. Your comments are important to us, as it allows us an opportunity to make improvements where necessary.

I am truly disappointed to hear about the service you received when calling the hotel. Our standard is to answer the phones within three rings and clearly that was not met. Standards have been reinforced with the team and hopefully this will not happen with other calls.

I also appreciate you letting us know about the ice machine room and I apologize for the shape it was in. Again your comments will help us improve in these areas that we may oversee.

We wish to create those ever lasting memories and wow moments with our guests and I am honestly sorry we missed it with you. I hope you give us another chance to make it up to you on your next visit to Houston. If there is anything else you need, please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards,
Dirk Burghartz
713-652-6200

Write a ReviewReviews (1,605)

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Because the hotel was booked, I was upgraded to a suite. The room was magnificent and the bed comfortable. The valets and bellboys were very friendly and polite. Personalized service was provided every time I used the phone. I felt totally pampered my entire stay.

1  Thank Charlene H
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Outstanding service. Good attitudes exhibited by all.

The room was large and very nice. I do wish there was recognition that one size does not "fit all" for bathrobes and slippers.

Free wifi has been noted as very important to travelers (57% on a recent survey I saw).

I misseed my newspaper the first day and so you need to comment on this when you check in. I realized there was a door tag you need to put out by 1 AM but this did not work either. You need the paper you want in your profile. Tell them when you check in.

I would like for it to be easier to get coffee and tea during the day rather than having to order it from room service.

1  Thank Timothy C
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a lovely hotel with extremely polite and friendly staff, including the valet and baggage staff. Our room was clean, smelled wonderful and felt like a cozy little home away from home. The beds were super comfortable and we didn't wake up feeling sore or achy. The view of the city from our room was pleasant. The bathroom products they provide are L'Occitane, which was much appreciated since we forgot our bath soap and body wash. We were very pampered and the check-out process was smooth and quick too. We look forward to our next visit to downtown Houston so we can have another stay at Four Seasons Hotel in Houston!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

It's the service here. Compared with other Four Seasons some of the physical/decor wow factor not there but the Four Seasons bed, L'Occitane bath products made it comfortable. Large room just needs a little color-pizzaz to freshen. Pool service excellent and area was very relaxing and more resort like than a downtown hotel property. Good gym. Very prompt service retrieving car. I went for a party nearby but can see this would be a good choice for business trips. It was also an incredible value-- weekend rate was very very low and enjoyed the deal

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Outstanding! Great staff, service and facility. Convenient to other restaurants as well. You will be taken care of here. Staff goes over and beyond from the doormen, to maids. The location to other restaurants is good as well.
Can't go wrong on this hotel.

1  Thank Tmayfield1964
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel in downtown Houston last August. The staff is exceptional and all our needs were attended to promptly. Comfortable, clean and conveniently located to everything downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Our room was very big. Only negatives were that the carpet looked a little stained in places and the counter in the bathroom was very low. I am 5'8" and it hit me mid-thigh. Only one sink for this large room. There is a nice salt water pool and the gym is great. Very big with lots of treadmills and even a separate weight room. This is a late 70's hotel that has been kept updated. Not much to do for kids around there or at the hotel except for the pool, so it is ideal for business travelers.

Room Tip: This is a high-rise building, so the view is best from the higher levels.