“Good stay”

Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria
Ranked #69 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 26, 2014

First, lets get these minor things out of the way...

Yes, the carpet in the guest room hallways could stand to be replaced. It's certainly starting to show its age.

Yes, the bathrooms (bathing and toilet area) could stand a refresh. The 1970s peach colored tiles felt out of place compared to the other half of the bathroom that had been updated nicely. The showerhead was a big grungy, the hotel should consider updating them. The bathing area of the bathroom was very dimly lit.

My single biggest complaint about the facility was the $16.00 parking charge. I get it -- because of the area you get mostly business travelers so its mostly businesses paying it. It's a huge source of revenue for the property, but it still felt outrageous to have to pay it.

With that out of the way...

The lobby looked recently renovated, and looked nice. The lobby ceiling is six stories up so it felt very spacious. Speaking of floors, I found it very unusual this hotel actually listed it's 13th floor as floor 13 instead of 14. Most hotels that have a 13th floor skip the number 13.

The front desk staff was very courteous and friendly upon check-in. I noticed a rental car and a spa on property, but both were closed at the time.

Dinner at the hotel was a bit pricey... but that is the norm with dining in hotels. In their favor, the food was pretty decent. They even have late night room service until 2AM. They have a gift shop that features Starbucks coffee. Try a lemon bar -- it was fantastic.

I didn't use the fitness center (although I walked by it) so I can't speak for it. However, I did find the one lone Coke machine in the entire hotel right outside the fitness center on the 2nd floor. Other refreshments are purchased in the first floor gift shop. Although if you wanted a soda at say, 3AM, this is a nice tip to know it's there when the gift shop is closed.

You cant please all of the people all of the time -- I thought the bed was a little too soft for my personal comfort. I really liked the pillows, however. Soft, yet supportive.

I stayed on the 12th floor. It was a Hilton Honors floor, and it was very quiet (in my new room, see below). Each room seems to open up to a balcony that you can step outside on. This is a bit perplexing because its the tiniest, most narrow balcony ever so I don't even know why it's there.

The front desk staff was very attentive to my needs. I was originally placed in room 1225. It's an oddly shaped corner room... triangular, really. It's definitely 1970s architecture. Someone in a room next to me had ... a very cranky baby with them that cried. And cried. And cried. The front desk staff gladly reassigned me to room 1209.

1209 was a good size, with a king bed. The room itself was very clean (except that aforementioned showerhead).

The staff here is mostly top notch. The only staff members that I much had issues with was in the bar. There was me, there was a gentleman sitting at the bar, and there were 2 women at another table. That's right, four of us. The bartender was more interested in watching sports on one of the two TVs in the bar than paying attention to any of us. The server, a lady, also spent more time in a corridor behind the bar talking to someone than paying attention to us. They could have been more attentive to those of us dining in there.

The wifi worked well for me. I was able to stream Netflix with no issues on my laptop.

I didn't like the clock in the room. It did not have any way to adjust the volume on the alarm, nor did it have a built in radio to give me the option to wake to music. For a 4 star property, this felt very much like a 1 star property amenity.

All things considered, it was a good stay. I liked the facility well enough and would stay here again given the right rate.

There was one thing I found very amusing. Out front, the "Hilton Honors" flag was upside down on the flagpole.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jason M

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Check in was efficient, lobby is huge and well appointed. We enjoyed drinks in the lobby bar. Room was very nice, clean and had a decent view of the Post Oak area.
Concierge floor was great for a quick breakfast and a light snack on arrival night. Definitely worth the added cost.
There is a shuttle service which is a fantastic touch. Unfortunately our shuttle driver chose to drop off a guest that was going much farther than we were first. This caused my boss and I to be late for our meeting plus another guest to be late for a presentation she was giving. The driver was very apologetic but it was a silly mistake-we were driving for 30 minutes to get somewhere that was 8 minutes away. We took a cab on the other days just to be safe.
Prices in downtown Houston were ridiculous so while I don't feel it was worth the cost, the hotel was a good choice.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on a business trip.

The Good --
- The location is good as it is near Galleria
- Check-in / out was fast
- Taxi are readily available
- reliable wifi service

The Bad --
- dated hotel, need to consider renovation
- gloomy lobby and pool area

Room Tip: Review your bill upon check out. I got charged for parking fees when I do not have a car.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Very good hotel in a nice position, near The Galleria.
I stayed here only one night but I was very satisfied by the room, by the service and by the staff. The room was very big, with a big bed confortable. The staff was hospitable and helpful.
Single note: good breakfast in the executive lounge but we would have expected something more better. In any case, I reccomend it. Excellent quality/price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Daniele L
Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel did not meet it's potential. The lights were burned out in the bathroom and no one came to fix it as promised. The front desk phone response from staff - they acted as if we were bothering them. The air conditioner vent was right over our faces/the room smelled like body odor.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Business travelers to Houston Galleria are, beware housekeeping does an okay job. However, Front Desk, bellman, concierges and shuttle driver are the best. Too bad, I had to be here during two large conventions and prices were terrible for what was provided.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Got a really great deal and stayed the weekend. Parking in the adjacent garage is $16 for 24 hours. This is an older property that could definitely use some attention to detail. Lots of places had chipping paint. Everything is clean, just older. The towels were thin, of the quality you would find at your local YMCA. I enjoyed the spacious room, the in room coffee maker, as well as a large window/balcony that let in a lot of light. The Hilton has a nice, sunny pool area with plenty of chairs and umbrellas, A +! It was surprisingly not crowded so I was able to really relax and enjoy myself. I used their smallish gym just as it was getting busy. They do have a few of the nice Precor machines with individual TV's. The Hilton gives you earbuds incase you forget yours (and inevitably I forgot mine). Didn't get at their restaurant due to the exorbitant prices. All staff we encountered were friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple