“Staff Makes This Place Work” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria

Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria
Ranked #71 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Spokane, Washington
“Staff Makes This Place Work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

The check-in process was unbelievably smooth--as in, I didn't even set down my bag at the front desk. The staff was courteous and efficient. The room was attractive with nice touches and excellent sheets. Some of the design elements were a little quirky, like the sliding louvered door to the bathroom would have bothered someone who prefers privacy in the bathroom. Overall, a good hotel made very good by its staff.

1 Thank Skyler R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Cibolo, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

On a trip to Houston with our grandsons (age 10 & 13) we stayed here. It is a nice Hilton and we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff. The big rooms and extremely comfortable beds re wonderful. The outdoor pool looked great but was not heated and was a little too chilly for the last day of March & the first day of April. The Galleria Mall and lots of other shopping was nearby. It was extremely quiet and again the room was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Staff was very helpful and attentive. We began our trip here (in Houston) x5 days, then moved to an extended stay. Many of the staff had helpful advise on directions to go. Needs a facelift- carpet and furniture. Thermostats in the rooms were difficult to regulate. Nice central location for business. Entry area had problems with vehicular congestion.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have never been so disappointed in the Hilton Company, nor experienced such poor guest services. My mother and I are in town for Easter weekend, in addition to visiting family around the Huston area. All of our family members offered us guest rooms but we opted for the Hilton as to not choose favorites and because of our success with the company. I write this review while laying on one of their beds (actually the one compliment I will give to the Houston Hilton in this blurb is their beds are extremely comfortable) because I can't sleep due to noise that I've called about, now four times. But let me start at the beginning and paint a picture for you. Set in downtown Houston, a rock throw distance from the Galleria, you are surrounded by rich culture, affluent archeticture, and gleaming buildings. And then there's the Hilton. A dingy disgrace among the skyline. The building is tinted pink(not steel or chrome or any other reasonable shell for a hotel with such a loughty name). I haven't been back to Huston in ages as I've resided in Denver for the past few years but it finally hit me that this Hilton used to be the old Double Tree hotel. That explained the nice new furniture and bathroom tolitries, yet untouched, unrenovated bathrooms and appalling stained carpet on the main floor leading to the parking garage. Needless to say the hotel needs a high quality grade power wash, better would be a paint job. My next reccomendation would be to refurbish the 1970's bathroom decor along with going the extra mile to clean their carpets. And that's just the building. Once we got past the unenthusiastic and scripted check in desk we headed to our room. Second compliment ( generous, I know) they had improved the main entrance as well as the elevators to meet Hilton expectations. We got to our rooms and the room was mediocre at best, heavily due to their dated bathrooms but also because of their lack of refrigerator, proper lighting, and privacy. To aid in my growing distaste for the company, after being charged fifteen dollars a day to self park, they are charging $10.95 per day, to connect to Internet wifi ( including in the business area). In today's modern world, in a country dependent on technology, I've never seen anything so ludicrous. They didn't even have the means to understand what they needed to do or who they needed to transfer me to, to add my MAC address to the system so that I could connect my Roku. Yet still, I could have managed all of this and been just fine with the neutrality of the hotel, lack of prestige, and quite frankly normality of what should be a high class establishment. The worst of it all came later that night. We had just briefly dropped our belongings off after check in before going to McCormicks and Schmit's with family. When we got home we readied ourselves for bed. Just prior to eleven the room next to us arrived. I haven't a clue what they were doing but I've never heard such noise. There must have been around 10-15 people having a party and they didn't seem to be stopping. Now I had already come to terms with the fact that there were paper thin walls and disrespectfully slammed doors were going to be an ongoing occurance. I also know the Ms. Huston/Miss. Teen Huston conference is going on currently and they're busy. I get that, I really do. But as a high class, well established company, they should be prepared for how to deal with the busy seasons. But, regretably, the hotel staff's professonalim and ability to deal with situations appropriately, crashed and burned. After calling the concierge and asking to be moved their response was, " Just stay there, we're busy this weekend. Give them thirty minutes to quiet down and I'll send a security guard." Excuse me? A security guard? Thirty minutes? All that was just going to create an even more pissed off guest and a hostile living situation. But alas, I did as I was told and twenty minutes later they did get quieter and I learned if I put the AC on 55 and used an extra blanket, the AC murred the incessant talking. Then at 4 AM the party hit a climax, woke my mom and I both from our slumber and as we called again, we got the same response, and from 4 - 4:30 AM I was awake and fuming and promising myself to never let myself, nor friends, nor family, nor anyone who reads this to stay at this discheveled, inconsiderate, and poorly run establishment ever again. It is now 7 AM and round three of level 9 loudness continues. It is with deep disappointment, frustration, and bitterness I write this. Do yourself a favor, and next time, book at the Omni. Sincerely, sleepless in Houston.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank KelseyinDenver
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Disclaimer: i hate hotels for many reasons and usually try to stay at apartments. A common rant of mine is noise. So I tend to be tough on reviews. Luckily we only had to stay two nights. I'd rate the rooms 2 stars but upped the review to 3 stars overall, taking into consideration the location ( near good shopping and food) and common areas, and because I'm still glowing because we had a great time visiting our kids and seeing Eric Clapton.

This was an awards stay, on Executive Floor. The exec lounge/breakfast room on this level was just very basic, probably the worst I've encountered in a Hilton. It was nice, clean and bright but very small and food choice was dismal.

The bath was rather a disaster for a Hilton. Low water pressure, outdated, crusty tile. Kinda yucky. They did provide a makeup mirror which was a surprise, but, alas, it wasn't very good. Plenty of toiletries and blow dryer was good. But not what I'd call Hilton executive quality.

Noise issues: usually I Have a lot to complain about. Alas, this hotel had minimal room to room noise. And door closing noise wasn't bad (yes, I'm that sensitive...). However traffic noise was more than expected being 13 floors up. Not horrible, just very noticeable.

Overall - would I return? Yes, if it was an awards stay; but I'd hope they'd update the baths and the general room decor, which was bland. Bed comfort was okay, a bit hard ( remember,I'm like The Princess and the Pea). I'll stick with my 3 stars even tough I'd like to say 2.5 since we were in an executive level room and I wasn't impressed.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ehbien
Hilton_Post_Oak, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your honesty. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest room is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.
St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The service, the bed, the view...nice. There was a balcony that you could actually step out on and enjoy. My problem was the bathroom. The area were the sink is housed is fine but the bathroom takes you back to the 90's which is extremely strange to me. The tub reminds me of something you would find if you were apartment shopping for a 2 bedroom for $500 ( if that makes sense). It was scratched, old and grimy looking. I was afraid to take a shower. The shower head was even from the 90's. Big turn off.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and feedback. As the views from our customers perspective is most important. The bathrooms are in need of an upgrade and will be undergoing a renovation soon. We hope you stay with us again if your travels bring you back to Houston.
Katy, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Overall decent hotel. Quick and friendly. We had an executive suite with 2 doubles and a pull out couch. Funny thing is the bedroom portion had no windows. Not sure if all the rooms are that way, but I found it odd. The furnishings are ok, but a bit worn, as is the decor. Popcorn ceiling, wear marks on the furniture, etc. The bathroom was spacious and our suite came with a microwave, fridge, and sink. Really good location for the Galleria and several great restaurants are within walking distance.

Room Tip: We did the 14th floor, which gave us executive access. Free continental breakfast and hor duerves d...