“Weekend at the Hilton Houston-Post Oak”

Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria
Ranked #70 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Hotel Houston-Post Oak from January 25-Jan 28. This is a very attractive hotel with a good location, but there were several drawbacks. First of all, I was not impressed with the service we received. For starters, there were no robes or turn down service. The room wasn't cleaned until after 2pm on Saturday. My son 's car had a flat, tire, and instead of asking if he needed any help, the bell people told him to move his car out of the way.
The room was lacking in electrical outlets, in order to use the coffee maker, we had to unplug either the TV or the refrigerator. The desk chair was the only chair in the room. If both my husband and I wanted to watch TV, one could move the chair, the other person had to lay on the bed. We got a newspaper on Monday, the day we checked out--nothing on the other days. Our rooom was on the Hilton Honors floor, but the service and amenities did not match that label. Although the room was large, the bed comfortable, I cannot say that this hotel was up to the level of other hotels we have stayed at in Houston.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Almagirl

Reviewed January 16, 2008

As a business traveler that tends to stay almost exclusively at Hilton properties and Hiltons whenever possible, I have been to new properties and old. This property is clearly older. The beds are upgraded but the rest of the building is showing its age. This Hilton has a great location as others have mentioned. I was in for a 2 night business trip.

Check in was acceptable and prompt. Parking is expensive as is valet.

I was on the 10th floor. Elevators are very slow and quite often full when they get to you. My shower (and a colleagues) had virtually no water pressure which to me is worse than a smelly room! I really liked the layout of the room especially the carpeted area near the sink. It made the room warmer when standing there in bare feet.

The bed was Hilton Perfect. The room had a small balcony which was nice except for all of the smokers out there on their balconies. Leaving your sliding glass door open only let in their smoke.

We had a few drinks in one bar. Service was VERY slow.

I give 4 stars simply because of the bed and that it had the Hilton touch despite the shortcomings in some area. We had a fantastic corporate rate so it raises the overall value to me a ton.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank orr333
Reviewed December 20, 2007

My partner and I stayed one Saturday night at the Hilton Post Oak in early Dec 07. We booked through Priceline for $85/night - amazing deal.

We expected a decent hotel but were very pleased upon arrival - it's quite an attractive hotel!

Check-In

We arrived at 12pm and and the front desk staff was helpful and prompt and assured a lovely room on a higher floor. The lobby is very attractive similar to a large glass atrium. One thing we disliked upon entering the hotel was that both bellmen essentially bombarded guests as you entered. Almost to the point where we felt obligated to have our tiny carry-on brought up to the room for us. We did not oblige, however we noticed others give up very little luggage. We noticed similar behavior from the bellman throughout our stay.

Rooms

Large and tastefully (and recently) decorated. The king size bed was cozy yet comfortable. Most rooms have a mini-balcony to soak up the views of the Galleria area. A nice touch was that the toilet and tub are in a separate room from the sink/vanity area - an attribute of luxury hotels.

Parking

Valet is 25/day and self park is 14/day. One of the staff members 'quietly' informed us that we could park right next door near Paisano's Restaurant for free. Of course, that's what we did!

Additional Info

We requested and were granted access to the Club Lounge on the 14th floor and we were thrilled. The lounge offers free snacks/drinks during the day and a continental breakfast in the morning. There are also 2 computer stations with complimentary internet access. The best part was the panoramic views as it is a corner suite with glass panes all around.

Local Area

Walking distance (although no one walks in Houston) to the huge Galleria Mall and several great restaurants including Paisano's right next door.

Overall we were pleased with the Hilton and would certainly return again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank vanessa83
Reviewed November 4, 2007

Stayed here 2 nights for business. Houston overall did not impress me at all. Walking distance to the Galleria mall and lots of shops though which was a nice brief distraction. Hotel was very nice, and felt very high-class, but the best part was the room service-- I had 3 meals there and they were surprisingly delicious! Their salads were amazing, and breakfast was also tasty.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Butzel223
Reviewed October 28, 2007

This is a lovely Hilton in a great location - great for business or a trip to the Galleria. I ran into a couple of problems at check-in, including the computer system being down so that I couldn't check in. While the front desk manager kindly bought me a drink in the bar while we waited for the system to re-boot, it was 11 pm and time for bed, not waiting for a room.

The staff shared a little too much information about the frequency of this problem and a couple of other things related to their relationships with surrounding hotels that their General Manager probably would not have wanted me to hear, but they were also friendly and demonstrated sincere caring about their work.

The room was a very nice business room - good linens and mattress quality, flat screen TV, and complimentary bottled water which I appreciated. There were plenty of outlets in all of the lamps for charging gizmos, but nothing compares to a Marriott in Dallas I stayed in last spring that had a console with lots of outlets consolidated. Bathroom had plenty of counter space separated from the toilet and shower.

I was delighted to see energy efficient lighting throughout the room!

Overall a very nice hotel for business.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Marge246
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I got a great deal on this hotel from priceline but didn't find too much information on it online. So I thought I'd provide our review. We arrived 3 hours before check-in on a Sunday when most people were checking out. Very prompt and quick attention at the service desk got us in a room (early) immediately. The room was very nice and clean when we arrived and we were very happy with it. The decor was modern without being cold. The room was a good size with a chair and ottoman, desk, entertainment armoire and king size bed. The bathroom was very spacious with separate areas for vanity and shower/toilet. The bathroom was very clean and the toiletries were by Crabtree and Evelyn but I cannot comment on them as we didn't use them. The room was also equipped with free high speed internet, mini bar, full size blow dyer, and indemand movies/games. We didn't utilize room service or the restaurants in the hotel as there were so many places we wanted to go nearby. The location was wonderful...very close the galleria, high end shopping, and restaurants but not too close to be disturbing. Parking was easy to use. We utilized the self parking which came to $14.07 with tax per day with in/out. Near the hotel we visited: Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Cheesecake Factory but as I mentioned there were many other places around. Concierge was helpful in directions for us and parking attendants were friendly. Check-out was very easy and quick. A great hotel at a great value, we will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank artsyvixen
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I stayed for two nights in mid-August at the Hilton Post Oak for a business trip. The overall hotel experience was average--acceptable for a business trip but nothing great or exceptional to make it stand out.

A mid-day check-in was slow. Only one person was checking people in and when I tried to use the computer check-in, it was not working. During the check-in process, after complaining, I was upgraded to a suite for only $10/night.

The lobby is rather unique--looks like it is going for the modern look but only 20 years ago so it appears dated. It just had a look I didn't find appealing. The suite was ok, but it is rapidly approaching the point of needing remodeled. Things just generally look dated.

Positives of the hotel: 1) The pool is extremely nice, although there were no towels that I could find, thus requiring me to bring a room towel. 2) The elevators are prompt. I never waited more than five seconds for an elevator (helped by I was on the third floor). 3) The restaurant for breakfast is nice and the staff are very good here. 4) Great location near Galleria.

Negatives: The business center charges for their internet usage at 50cents/minute. I find this CHEAP of Hilton and was very annoyed to actually have to pay to print off boarding passes, etc. My other negative experience concerned the pay snacks. When I first entered the room I noticed that my refrigerator containing the snacks was totally empty - I never opened it again and just thought the hotel did not provide pay snacks. When I got my hotel bill - I had been charged over $300 extra for every snack that they stock!

I had the manager come to my room and complained to him in person. He said the system was automated and he immediately corrected the bill.

Overall, if I was going back, I would probably try the nearby Marriott.

Stayed: August 2007