“OK for business”

Ranked #71 of 515 Hotels in Houston
Midwest
“OK for business”
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I stayed for two nights in mid-August at the Hilton Post Oak for a business trip. The overall hotel experience was average--acceptable for a business trip but nothing great or exceptional to make it stand out.

A mid-day check-in was slow. Only one person was checking people in and when I tried to use the computer check-in, it was not working. During the check-in process, after complaining, I was upgraded to a suite for only $10/night.

The lobby is rather unique--looks like it is going for the modern look but only 20 years ago so it appears dated. It just had a look I didn't find appealing. The suite was ok, but it is rapidly approaching the point of needing remodeled. Things just generally look dated.

Positives of the hotel: 1) The pool is extremely nice, although there were no towels that I could find, thus requiring me to bring a room towel. 2) The elevators are prompt. I never waited more than five seconds for an elevator (helped by I was on the third floor). 3) The restaurant for breakfast is nice and the staff are very good here. 4) Great location near Galleria.

Negatives: The business center charges for their internet usage at 50cents/minute. I find this CHEAP of Hilton and was very annoyed to actually have to pay to print off boarding passes, etc. My other negative experience concerned the pay snacks. When I first entered the room I noticed that my refrigerator containing the snacks was totally empty - I never opened it again and just thought the hotel did not provide pay snacks. When I got my hotel bill - I had been charged over $300 extra for every snack that they stock!

I had the manager come to my room and complained to him in person. He said the system was automated and he immediately corrected the bill.

Overall, if I was going back, I would probably try the nearby Marriott.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank bjandljtravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Stayed at the Post Oak from 6/12 to 6/14. Very enjoyable stay and the location was excellent. I had never been to Houston before and was amazed at how large the city is!

I spent some "down time" over at the Galleria Mall which was very nice, loved the indoor skating rink! Many nice restaurants as well as a CVS and a Walgreens nearby.

Very friendly staff and the room was more than adequate.

One small complaint was that maid service arrived very late in the day to clean the room. I had wanted to take a little "catnap" before going out for a dinner meeting but ended up having to kill sometime at the nearby stripmall because they hadn't gotten to my room yet.

Other than that everything else was fine and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very late in the day maid service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank bceagle90
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Great hotel, nicely appointed. I stayed here for the weekend and got a club level room for $85/night direct from the hotel. Great location in the Galleria, really close to everythign you need in Houston. Stayed one night the following weekend and got a nice room again, not such a great deal but still nice.

Staff were really friendly, valet parking guys were great and bellman very efficient.

Met some interesting Mexican guys in the bar who were there for a wedding and ended up getting invited to join them.

I'm sure there are other hotels in the Galleria which are just as good but I'll bet you can't get them for $85/night.

Stayed August 2007
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 30, 2007

I stayed one night in this place. Suites are large and nicely furnished. The staff was friendly and did everything right to make my stay relaxing and enjoyable. I recommend this place for post oak business travellers and for shopping. The galeria (world 2nd largest shopping mall) is a 5 min drive from the hotel.

• Liked — Staff efficiency
  • Disliked — The complicated and expensive internet TV.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Got a good deal through priceline. Stayed there a couple of nights ago. Just moved from the Intercontinental the day before. Should have gone back there. That place was excellent. The only good thing about the Hilton was how everyone in the restaurant goes out of their way to be helpful.

Valet barely speak english and probably have a combined IQ of 56. Valet stole personal GPS system out of hidden compartment in console. Unfortunately, the valet service is independent of the hotel...meaning, the hotel doesn't care. When I spoke with hotel higher-ups, they didn't want to hear what I was saying and turned their back on me. Not very 4-star like if you ask me. There was a 4"inch roach in my room which I encountered barefoot. They called me at 10:30 at night to find out how my 7:30pm room service was. Very nice touch, except I had to wake up quite early the next morning. Overall, I'd say stay somewhere else.

Yes, the area is very nice and some of the rooms have balconies, but there are plenty of other 4-star hotels in the Galleria.

• Liked — Two people in the restaurant.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank travelmonkey777
Seattle
Reviewed May 20, 2007

What a nice array of touches.
Too bad I encountered obviously illegal alien employees who would not bother to speak a lick of English when asked simple questions. What ARROGANCE!! And Hilton, tsk tsk tsk, we don't all go "wink wink" to breaking U.S. employer laws.

• Liked — Decor, Linens, Location
  • Disliked — illegal employees who can't even speak english (well, won't)
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed April 17, 2007

Just returned from a 9 night stay at the Houston Post Oak . Check in was easy, the room was very nice and housekeeping was top notch. The restaurant manager is very attentive and made sure all my meals were a "10". This is their new service goal. Noise from other rooms was never a problem and the location right next to the Galleria was perfect. Would highly recommend this hotel to friends/family.

• Liked — Cozy/comfy rooms - housekeeping was terrific
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business