“Poor management”

Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown
Ranked #114 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Concierge and front desk don't have any supervision. Asked for restaurant menu and concierge does know much about what kind of food is being served.
I only stayed at this hotel because I was lost coming from Beaumont and I called for direction and Tino the valet attendent was very helpful went beyong his duties walked me through the phone and end up drive to meet me outside downtown with his personal car to bring me at the hotel.
When I asked him why he did that his answer was very profesional: he said Sir, we can afford to lose a guest in this time of economic crisis.
I was so impressed that a simple valet has an enormous sens of customer service. I really appreciated the service he also gave me at checkout.
I want specially the manager to recognize the delightful service Tino provided me with.
Will recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Room was clean, neat, well appointed. Staff was very professional. Open lobby area and bar with lots of seating. Trofi Restaurant was very good and very convenient. No free WiFi in rooms. Valet parking only. Within short walking distance to Houston Aquarium, Theater District, other restaurants. My biggest gripe...charging $1.50 for morning coffee in the lobby.
A few parks/walking trails close by. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2010

A typical, well used downtown hotel. Nice looking and pleasant interiors, but nothing too spectacular. Really didn't experience any problems while staying there. The beds were very comfortable - that was the best part of the stay there!

The only complaint I had while staying there was the amount of dust in the room. You can tell that the main surface areas that people use are wiped down - but the non traditional areas do not get dusted very often. Items such as the top of the in room coffee maker, tops of sink splashguards, picture frames, etc. were not dusted in a while. The Nintendo game controller sitting on the bureau looked like it hadn't been used or dusted in months. The headboard to the bed was loaded, too. I even wrote the word "dust" in the dust itself before my final night's stay there - and the word was still there after housekeeping cleaned the room! The room wasn't dirty - just very dusty.

Be aware of the downtown Houston area, too. Just about every restaurant closes there by 7:00 during the week - and the weekend, forget it. Most food spots downtown do not even open on the weekends! Made eating a meal under $20 a challenge most nights.

(I travel all over the country with my job, and I contribute on EVERY hotel I stay in. Trip Advisor has been a great tool for me, and I contribute fairly, for both good and bad facilities.)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I came to Houston for a conference at the Hyatt Regency. The hotel's final bill stated that it was for 3 adults, although when I made the reservation and when I checked in it was confirmed for one. Then when I was back home and noticed that I was ultimately billed for 3 adults in the room no supervisor or manager from the hotel would return my calls when I requested a billing adjustment as I was the only individual staying in the room.

The TV was old, the carpets were never vacuumed while I was in the room for four days, and because of some hair I found on the sheets when I first arrived I suspect that they are not very vigilant about changing the sheets between customers which is pretty gross. I was doing work at my laptop when maid service came in so I could see exactly what they were doing and what they were not doing.

Also, the A/C in the room wouldn't work very well, it would reset itself after only a few hours to a much higher level (I guess to save on utility costs).

Actually, on the drive to Houston, I stayed in a much nicer Hampton Inn that was $40 less than what the room rate at the Doubletree should have been overbilled. Also, the only free internet is on the main level where there is so much congestion and noise.

I'm writing a letter to my association and emphatically requesting we not use this hotel again in the future. Overpriced, not clean, poor management response.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I adore this hotel! I've stayed twice and plan to return. The valet was prompt and courteous when we pulled in. The front desk was extremely friendly and greeted us with a warm cookie... mmmm. The lobby and bar area are so ritzy and posh looking. For the price of this hotel, I really didn't expect that! The room was very clean and the beds are super comfy. Before dinner, we had cocktails in the bar. Very good drinks and friendly bartender.
It's so close to the Hobby Center and downtown has such a variety of things to do for nightlife. The shuttle was really convenient and quick. All in all... this is the best hotel in the area and it's a steal at their prices!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2010

The downtown Doubletree was a fantastic choice. The Doubletree staff worked hard to accommodate my requests. One of the mornings I need to practice my instrument early and didn't want to upset my neighboring rooms so the front desk found a conference room that wasn't being used. When I asked for a local restaurant recommendation the nice concierge suggested a place and called the free downtown area hotel shuttle to take me, a very nice feature! I book a bed and breakfast package and had a decent hot breakfast every morning with a cheerful waitress filling my juice glass. The lobby bar was quiet during the afternoon and was a great place to sit in the sun. The wonderful woman at the front desk gave me cookies every day of my stay. The only suggest I'd make is to make the fitness center larger, it was busy in the mornings and I had to wait to use a treadmill. I felt very welcome and comfortable at this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2010

The room thermostat only went up to 75, which kept the room at 74, which sounds fine but it was a cold week in Houston and the large windows cooled the room down. I was always cold. The front desk could not send up a portable heater but offered to send maintenance up to the room (why?). There were hairs in the bathtub, sink and on the floor for all four days of my stay. The TV was old, with poor reception. Expensive valet parking.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business