“So So - not much else to say...”

Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown
Ranked #89 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Milwaukee
“So So - not much else to say...”
Reviewed April 17, 2010

A typical, well used downtown hotel. Nice looking and pleasant interiors, but nothing too spectacular. Really didn't experience any problems while staying there. The beds were very comfortable - that was the best part of the stay there!

The only complaint I had while staying there was the amount of dust in the room. You can tell that the main surface areas that people use are wiped down - but the non traditional areas do not get dusted very often. Items such as the top of the in room coffee maker, tops of sink splashguards, picture frames, etc. were not dusted in a while. The Nintendo game controller sitting on the bureau looked like it hadn't been used or dusted in months. The headboard to the bed was loaded, too. I even wrote the word "dust" in the dust itself before my final night's stay there - and the word was still there after housekeeping cleaned the room! The room wasn't dirty - just very dusty.

Be aware of the downtown Houston area, too. Just about every restaurant closes there by 7:00 during the week - and the weekend, forget it. Most food spots downtown do not even open on the weekends! Made eating a meal under $20 a challenge most nights.

(I travel all over the country with my job, and I contribute on EVERY hotel I stay in. Trip Advisor has been a great tool for me, and I contribute fairly, for both good and bad facilities.)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
Hays, KS
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I came to Houston for a conference at the Hyatt Regency. The hotel's final bill stated that it was for 3 adults, although when I made the reservation and when I checked in it was confirmed for one. Then when I was back home and noticed that I was ultimately billed for 3 adults in the room no supervisor or manager from the hotel would return my calls when I requested a billing adjustment as I was the only individual staying in the room.

The TV was old, the carpets were never vacuumed while I was in the room for four days, and because of some hair I found on the sheets when I first arrived I suspect that they are not very vigilant about changing the sheets between customers which is pretty gross. I was doing work at my laptop when maid service came in so I could see exactly what they were doing and what they were not doing.

Also, the A/C in the room wouldn't work very well, it would reset itself after only a few hours to a much higher level (I guess to save on utility costs).

Actually, on the drive to Houston, I stayed in a much nicer Hampton Inn that was $40 less than what the room rate at the Doubletree should have been overbilled. Also, the only free internet is on the main level where there is so much congestion and noise.

I'm writing a letter to my association and emphatically requesting we not use this hotel again in the future. Overpriced, not clean, poor management response.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
League City, Texas
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I adore this hotel! I've stayed twice and plan to return. The valet was prompt and courteous when we pulled in. The front desk was extremely friendly and greeted us with a warm cookie... mmmm. The lobby and bar area are so ritzy and posh looking. For the price of this hotel, I really didn't expect that! The room was very clean and the beds are super comfy. Before dinner, we had cocktails in the bar. Very good drinks and friendly bartender.
It's so close to the Hobby Center and downtown has such a variety of things to do for nightlife. The shuttle was really convenient and quick. All in all... this is the best hotel in the area and it's a steal at their prices!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed March 8, 2010

The downtown Doubletree was a fantastic choice. The Doubletree staff worked hard to accommodate my requests. One of the mornings I need to practice my instrument early and didn't want to upset my neighboring rooms so the front desk found a conference room that wasn't being used. When I asked for a local restaurant recommendation the nice concierge suggested a place and called the free downtown area hotel shuttle to take me, a very nice feature! I book a bed and breakfast package and had a decent hot breakfast every morning with a cheerful waitress filling my juice glass. The lobby bar was quiet during the afternoon and was a great place to sit in the sun. The wonderful woman at the front desk gave me cookies every day of my stay. The only suggest I'd make is to make the fitness center larger, it was busy in the mornings and I had to wait to use a treadmill. I felt very welcome and comfortable at this hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 7, 2010

The room thermostat only went up to 75, which kept the room at 74, which sounds fine but it was a cold week in Houston and the large windows cooled the room down. I was always cold. The front desk could not send up a portable heater but offered to send maintenance up to the room (why?). There were hairs in the bathtub, sink and on the floor for all four days of my stay. The TV was old, with poor reception. Expensive valet parking.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
East Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I booked thru Expedia at a great rate that said "includes Breakfast Buffet". I went to breakfast and told the waitress I didn't have a coupon for the breakfast buffet and showed her my reservation. She said "No problem". My husband and I started to enjoy the buffet and a hotel official came and told us that the breakfast buffet was NOT included and that a lawsuit had been filed against Expedia for adding it to their reservations.

Otherwise, this is a lovely hotel in a nice location. It is well maintained. Yes, it can be updated....take down the popcorn ceilings, replace the tube tv's, add vent fans in the bathrooms. But it was clean, granite countertops everywhere, superfast elevators, powerflush toilet, great WolfgangPuck coffee pod brewer and USA Today each morning.
Parking is $25 daily but there is a lot one block away for less than half of that. They have a shuttle that will take you anywhere in town.

We walked thru the Sam Houston Park to the bayou trail and down to the Aquarium. The big ferris wheel was fun!
We would stay here again at a great rate.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
sgoldman, general manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
First, I would like to thank you for all of your wonderful comments about the Doubletree Houston. I will be sure to share them with the staff. I woud also like to apologize for all of the confusion with your breakfast. We were doing a new package with Expedia, and it was not properly communicated to all of the staff. We have since worked out the kinks, and everything is now working smoothly. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you on your return visit to Houston.
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed February 15, 2010

As a frequent traveler, I have seldom been as impressed as I have with my stay at this hotel. The entire staff was extremely friendly and accomodating and made my visit very pleasant. I hosted a small breakfast in the dining room. We were given personal service, were allowed to order off the breakfast or lunch menu using our free breakfast coupons and even the one person not staying at the hotel was given a complimentary meal. I attended five performances at the Hobby Center and their driver took me there in a timely fashion every night. Even a later checkout was "no problem". I used room service for my meals, sometimes late at night and they were delicious, especially the burger and homemade fries. They were delivered to me by Olga, who was gracious, friendly and cordial. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and I slept well each night. The only complaint I could possibly have, and this is a problem in most hotels in which I have stayed, is the cleaning staff in the mornings are very loud. They should realize that some people might have gotten to sleep late and may prefer to be able to sleep in the mornings. For this type of service, I would have expected to pay much more than $79 a night. I will stay here again whenever I come back to town.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
sgoldman, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
I just wanted to send you a short note to thank you for your positive comments about our hotel. I will be share to share your feedback with our rooms service attendant Olga. Thank you again!