“Over night stay for a concert.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown
Ranked #110 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hotel was clean, staff was attentive and price was good for a weekday stay in downtown Houston. There was no in room safe and décor was slightly dated. The breakfast buffet was exceptional and made up for the shortcomings of the room.

Room Tip: ask for downtown side view,
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toya B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! We are delighted to hear that the staff was attentive to you and your guest needs. I have also shared your feedback on the decor of the hotel. Again, thank you and we hope you choose us for your next concert!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stay at this hotel because it is the only Hilton hotel downtown on my companies list. I think next time I will have to deal with the morning drive. I have noticed that the room was in serious disrepair. The bathroom door would not shut (didn't really matter since I was traveling alone but the latch was completely gone) none of the power outlets on the lamps worked, I had to unplug the alarm clock so I could charge my phone. But the thing that was just plain unacceptable, was the A/C. In Houston, even in April, you have to have a working A/C. The first night was hot, it would work for 10 minutes and then stop. I notified them the second day (today), and they guy just said "well it's working now".... Really that's all you have to say?? Completely unacceptable to me. Obviously its not, its been set on 64 for 4 hours and its still 74 degrees in the room. You could tell it wasn't working just by the terrible sound it was making (which also made it difficult to sleep). They have a new system for the valet where you can text your ticket number or scan a QR code and they will have your car waiting when you get down stairs. Pretty cool..... didn't work. If you are really in a hurry, just call down.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator (and preferably one with a working A/C)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I would first like to apologize for the service that was provided; as this is not the norm at our property. Would you mind sharing additional feedback with me on your room number and dates of stay so the Operational Managers can investigate? My email is: toya.berry@hilton.com. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are nice but they overcharge & you have to use valet parking $28 plus tipping if you need your car. It's worth it if you want a place close to the ballpark & have lots of money! Not worth the $170 for one night.

• Stayed: March 2013
Toya B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Parking downtown is limited for all hotels and therefore the parking rates we charge are comparable to the downtown properties. We do offer a rate that has parking included if you visit our website for future travels.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here while attending the 2013 Dance Salad Festival and recieved an EXCELLENT rate in conjunction with the festival - $99 vs. $249 adversited per night... my four star rating is based on my lower rate. The hotel is convenient if you need or want to be in downtown Houston which I found to be very sterile. There are lots of tall office buildings so not alot going on after 5pm. The hotel itself is clean and I found it to be quite but another guest complained about a party in the hallway on his floor. My biggest complaint was the non-functional wifi. If I had not recently upgraded to a 4g enabled iPad, I would have been furious. It was very difficult to connect to the wifi and then it would drop you within 10 minutes or less and require a new logon. If you are wifi dependent, this hotel is NOT the place for you unless this problem has been fixed.

Room Tip: The poor service rating is due to the non-functional wifi. Value at my conference rate would have b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We checked into the Doubletree Downtown Houston with a very quick and easy check-in, even though we were somewhat early. To make it even more pleasant, we were gifted with huge, warm, chocolate chip cookies! Our rooms were spacious and very comfortable, plenty of nice big towels. The location was great for seeing downtown attractions. We were able to walk to and from the Hobby Center where we attended a show. I'm sure we were back at the hotel before many had even gotten to their cars! No breakfast is included with the room, but there is a nice breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant. Valet parking is mandatory because there is no self-parking nearby, and it is expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Toya B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! The DoubleTree Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookie are mouth watering! Being with in walking distance of the Hobby Center is a plus. Valet parking downtown is all paid parking and valet only but across from the hotel is a self parking facility that is $10. It does not allow in and out priviliges but with our complimentary shuttle within Downtown, you should be fine!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

To start, we had to change rooms 3 times. The first room was filthy. The front desk was very helpful in moving us to another room. It appeared to be okay...until we turned off the lights to go to sleep. I heard a cough, and thought someone was in the room with us. I turned the lights back on to find that the walls are so thin, you can actually hear the person in the next room as if they were in your own. Therefore, we spent the entire night listening to our neighbor cough and his alarm going off over and over (and over and over). I cannot believe the walls are this thin. We could hear the conversation next door, and they were speaking in a normal tone. So, we moved...again. The bar was very nice, and the shuttle is great. The staff was very friendly, but overall, I cannot believe this hotel is rated so highly. The rooms offer nothing special, they aren't clean (none of the three rooms I saw were very clean, but the first was filthy), and there is absolutely no privacy or sleep quality. The friends traveling with us found their room had dirty sheets. When they called the front desk, they were told housekeeping had gone for the day, but they could come down to pick up new sheets. We were pretty disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Toya B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I assure you this is not the norm. I have shared your feedback with our Director of Housekeeping to address with the team. I will also inform my team at the front desk that if a guest contact them for in room amenities, they should have it delivered by our security officer on duty after hours.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The most annoying thing about this hotel (and Hilton in general) remains the no free wi-fi. (unless you are an upper-level Honors program member, which I am not) I also do not like that there are no in-room safes. With the expensive electronics most people travel with now days, this should be a given in any room. For this stay we were on the 14th floor, just 2 doors down from where the elevators are. Thank god I packed my ear plugs...the elevators "ding" constantly...why??? It's super annoying. Other than the lack of safe and mini-fridge, the room was ok, however you can see the age in the closet and shower. The sliding closet doors look and feel really old and just don't look like they go with the rest of the room. They are positioned in an odd place too...you almost have to step inside of the closet to maneuver out of the door sometimes. The bathroom is nice and spacious...except for the shower head. It's a really old looking crummy shower head. Makes no sense why these wouldn't have been replaced years ago. As always, my favorite part of the stay was the cookie.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toya B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback. The WiFi is now complimentary in our business center and has been in the hotel lobby. We also have rates that can be booked with the WiFi included. I have also shared your feedback on your guest room condition with our Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering. If you don't mind sending me an email of the room number so he can address the shower head immediatly, it would be greatly appreciated. My email address is: toya.berry@hilton.com.

Thank you again!