“Overpriced for what you got!”

Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown
Ranked #100 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are nice but they overcharge & you have to use valet parking $28 plus tipping if you need your car. It's worth it if you want a place close to the ballpark & have lots of money! Not worth the $170 for one night.

• Stayed: March 2013
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Parking downtown is limited for all hotels and therefore the parking rates we charge are comparable to the downtown properties. We do offer a rate that has parking included if you visit our website for future travels.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here while attending the 2013 Dance Salad Festival and recieved an EXCELLENT rate in conjunction with the festival - $99 vs. $249 adversited per night... my four star rating is based on my lower rate. The hotel is convenient if you need or want to be in downtown Houston which I found to be very sterile. There are lots of tall office buildings so not alot going on after 5pm. The hotel itself is clean and I found it to be quite but another guest complained about a party in the hallway on his floor. My biggest complaint was the non-functional wifi. If I had not recently upgraded to a 4g enabled iPad, I would have been furious. It was very difficult to connect to the wifi and then it would drop you within 10 minutes or less and require a new logon. If you are wifi dependent, this hotel is NOT the place for you unless this problem has been fixed.

Room Tip: The poor service rating is due to the non-functional wifi. Value at my conference rate would have b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We checked into the Doubletree Downtown Houston with a very quick and easy check-in, even though we were somewhat early. To make it even more pleasant, we were gifted with huge, warm, chocolate chip cookies! Our rooms were spacious and very comfortable, plenty of nice big towels. The location was great for seeing downtown attractions. We were able to walk to and from the Hobby Center where we attended a show. I'm sure we were back at the hotel before many had even gotten to their cars! No breakfast is included with the room, but there is a nice breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant. Valet parking is mandatory because there is no self-parking nearby, and it is expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! The DoubleTree Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookie are mouth watering! Being with in walking distance of the Hobby Center is a plus. Valet parking downtown is all paid parking and valet only but across from the hotel is a self parking facility that is $10. It does not allow in and out priviliges but with our complimentary shuttle within Downtown, you should be fine!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

To start, we had to change rooms 3 times. The first room was filthy. The front desk was very helpful in moving us to another room. It appeared to be okay...until we turned off the lights to go to sleep. I heard a cough, and thought someone was in the room with us. I turned the lights back on to find that the walls are so thin, you can actually hear the person in the next room as if they were in your own. Therefore, we spent the entire night listening to our neighbor cough and his alarm going off over and over (and over and over). I cannot believe the walls are this thin. We could hear the conversation next door, and they were speaking in a normal tone. So, we moved...again. The bar was very nice, and the shuttle is great. The staff was very friendly, but overall, I cannot believe this hotel is rated so highly. The rooms offer nothing special, they aren't clean (none of the three rooms I saw were very clean, but the first was filthy), and there is absolutely no privacy or sleep quality. The friends traveling with us found their room had dirty sheets. When they called the front desk, they were told housekeeping had gone for the day, but they could come down to pick up new sheets. We were pretty disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I assure you this is not the norm. I have shared your feedback with our Director of Housekeeping to address with the team. I will also inform my team at the front desk that if a guest contact them for in room amenities, they should have it delivered by our security officer on duty after hours.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The most annoying thing about this hotel (and Hilton in general) remains the no free wi-fi. (unless you are an upper-level Honors program member, which I am not) I also do not like that there are no in-room safes. With the expensive electronics most people travel with now days, this should be a given in any room. For this stay we were on the 14th floor, just 2 doors down from where the elevators are. Thank god I packed my ear plugs...the elevators "ding" constantly...why??? It's super annoying. Other than the lack of safe and mini-fridge, the room was ok, however you can see the age in the closet and shower. The sliding closet doors look and feel really old and just don't look like they go with the rest of the room. They are positioned in an odd place too...you almost have to step inside of the closet to maneuver out of the door sometimes. The bathroom is nice and spacious...except for the shower head. It's a really old looking crummy shower head. Makes no sense why these wouldn't have been replaced years ago. As always, my favorite part of the stay was the cookie.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback. The WiFi is now complimentary in our business center and has been in the hotel lobby. We also have rates that can be booked with the WiFi included. I have also shared your feedback on your guest room condition with our Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering. If you don't mind sending me an email of the room number so he can address the shower head immediatly, it would be greatly appreciated. My email address is: toya.berry@hilton.com.

Thank you again!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good:
1. The cookies and service was great.

Bad:
1. You have to pay for wifi? Even McD is giving away for free. This is supposed to a business hotel.
2. Old carpets in the room.
3. No fridge or mini bar

Ugly:
1. People smoking in the corridor, all the smoke ending up in our room. Why do hotels allow smoking? Is this 1969? These same people are not allowed to smoke in their own home, but the hotel allows them to.
2. Mold in the bath tub. I mean, do they not have a room inspector? This is bad.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Our famous chocolate chip and walnut cookie is the best! I have shared your experience with our management team on the room. We do charge guest that smoke in their guest room a $150 cleaning fee. We do offer mini fridge and microwaves complimentary on request. Thank you

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We are here on Spring Break with the kids. On arrival everything was good they give us a room on the 16th floor. I am a little disappointed with the internet access but I can use it on my phone. I went for cookies today after a long day of shopping and the clerk first told me it would be a 1.00 each. When I questioned her she then asked me if I was staying in the hotel. I don't understand why she just didn't ask what room are you in when I first asked for the cookies. However when I told her I was staying in the hotel she handed me two ice cold cookies, I was so shocked. I really did not know what to say but ok. As I walked away I asked of they had a microwave somewhere. The other guy there say yea we can bring it up to your room. I give him my room number and told him that I need four cookies. He said ok and took the cold cookies back and give me some warm cookies. I said thank you and he asked if I still needed the microwave I said no I just wanted for the cookies. I don't understand why she was so cold to me. I really don't want to ask for nothing else. I chose to stay here because of the DoubleTree in San Antonio.They wew so friendly and welcoming. Now we only stay in DoubleTree's no matter where we go but now I am not sure anymore.

• Stayed: March 2013
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! Our Famous DoubleTree Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookie is our Icon for our hotel brand. Our guest can have as many as they want! We do charge a $1 for non guest. As you mentioned we should have asked first before quoting a price. I will share your feedback with my team. Thank you again.