“Great reception the moment we got there.”

Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown
Ranked #91 of 504 Hotels in Houston
McAllen, Texas
“Great reception the moment we got there.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Everyone was so pleasant. The moment we stepped out of our car the valet staff was superb. The front desk was extremely pleasant. (Delicious cookies) The concierge Peter was very friendly. We got tips from the bellman and valet about shortcut driving destinations. The pillows really allowed me to sleep well. Normally, I use my own but these were very comfy. The hotel was very clean. The location was great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You know, you can order any in-room amenity on line via DoubleTree.com. The Beds are to die for and the pillows! I will share with Peter, the Valet Team and the Front Office Staff your experience. We wish each guest would have the experience you encountered!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

After staying for around two weeks in this hotel, the only thing I can say is that the departments in this hotel work in silos and this is the biggest negative factor second only to the pathetic housekeeping.
First the positives: The front desk (esp. Anthony, Lindsey), concierge (Peter, Novel) and F&B (Robert) were the main reason that I still consider that this hotel offers some exceptional service. These people were helpful and/or prompt in responding to my problems and tried their best to deliver.
Now the negatives which is a huge list, the rooms look good at the first sight but they are really dirty especially near the closet area (flaking insulation, extremely dirty false ceiling panels, soiled felt filter inside closet as well as very dirty sprinkler head) and despite making it very clear on the very first day there was no effort to clean this. I changed my first room due to heavily flaking insulation inside the closet and changed to another room on the same floor. The view was pathetic from both the rooms (maybe because the 7th floor was too low) but that didn't matter for me as I was on a intense project and had no time to look out. Drinking water supply was another issue and was very erratic despite several complaints. I was not provided any bathrobe or bathroom slippers during my entire stay when this was a norm (as I saw that in my first room and also in another guest's room).
Another problem with this hotel is telling lies about free shuttle service. At times I was told that shuttle was busy and will take a lot of time to come and when I came back by Taxi/walking, I found that all the cars and drivers were at the hotel and not busy. They were also trying to avoid some customers (who had their dedicated shuttles) going to a special convention and in turn made the other guests suffer by avoiding to offer shuttles.
One strange thing which I noticed was that they start offering a compensation(free night, free bkfst etc) as soon as something goes wrong instead of fixing the problem. They take the customers for granted thinking they will quickly grab the offer and not complain further.

Another issue was that despite my several complaints, I never got to see anyone from the senior management. This is in contrast with other hotels where even one complaint is taken by senior management personally. Anthony, I know that you were not a manager (just FD supervisor) so there was no point faking it.

Overall even though I feel that this hotel has some good dedicated individuals, the functions don't work efficiently in tandem and thus I would refrain from staying here next time until I have no other better choice.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floor, avoid staying near elevator area. I saw two rooms on 7th floor and both had ve...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you had several challenges during your stay with us. From reading your experience, the staff showed empowerment and took ownership of the issues that was mentioned. I have shared your feedback with the Housekeeping and Engineering Directors on your in-room experiences. The mentioning fo the amenities sounds like you are an HHonors Member. If you don't mind, please contact me at the hotel if time permits. Thank you
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Front desk was courteous and friendly. The decor was very nice. The whole enitre hotel is VERY clean and spacious. I enjoyed the view from our room and the room was very spacey. One thing I did not like was there was no fridge or microwave in our room. I found that to be a bit odd.

1 Thank Chiemeri N
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the rooms were clean and big! We hope you chose us on your return visit to Houston! We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to the Hilton Famil and especially the DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Downtown.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The corner rooms are stunning; floor to ceiling windows the entire perimeter of the room. Bed very comfortable and bathroom just fine. Lobby bar lively and service young but engaging. Breakfast a bit overpriced but the selection very good. Service somewhat blasé, but to be expected. Downside is parking; one must valet and its expensive. Location of hotel overrides this inconvenience.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I have forward your feedback over to our Food and Beverage team on their engagment and service that you recieved. We invite guest feedback to assist with the training and coaching of our staff and for that, we appreciate you sharing it with us. We hope to see you on your return to Downtown Houston!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Valet or concierge lost one of our smaller bags when they were out of luggage carts.

Room wasn't anything special, but was mostly clean.

I had to wait in line a while to check in, but they found a room quick for me when it was 11 am.

I left a new event tshirt on the bed when we left and it never turned up. Did the staff take it?

It's further from the convention center than I expected.

• Stayed January 2013
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Did we find the smaller bag for you prior to you departing from the property? Would you mind contacting me at the hotel so we can investigate the missing item that you left on the bed? My direct line is: 713-351-5717.
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the this hotel December 29, 2012 - January 1, 2013 and had a wonderful experience. Upon our arrival we were promptly greeted by the staff, checked in quickly and efficiently and then had our luggage delivered almost as soon as we arrived at our room. Due to extending our stay, my husband accidentally made two reservations rather than revising our existing reservation so it looked like we would have to check out and move to another room for one night. Shelly and Alan promptly took care of this for us and we were able to stay in our beautiful corner room overlooking the city skyline. The room was clean, housekeeping was efficient and not intrusive. The beds were very comfortable, linens clean and fresh. Bathroom linens were nice and thick -- unlike some where they are thin and scratchy. Furnishings all looked fairly new and well maintained. Work area with desk and ample outlets was great. The location was perfect for us. Fine dining as well as fast food is all within walking distance.

Room Tip: The corner rooms on a higher floor offer a fabulous view!
1 Thank berkleybug
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Shelly and Allan were all smiles when I presented them your response! We truly appreciate your kind words and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please keep us in mind if travel takes you back to Downtown Houston!
Grosmont, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a well run hotel, with good services for customers.

The rooms are spacious, and well stocked bathrooms.

Breakfast had a good selection of offerings to suit most tastes.

The hotel was full, but generally there was no unacceptable noise.

Valet parking was efficient.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are oddly shaped but offer more room overall.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cwyfan
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on your recent stay! It's great to hear you enjoyed the room and amenities we have to offer. Happy Holidays and hope to see you on your return visit to Houston!