“Centrally Located with Erratic Housekeeping”

Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown
Ranked #101 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 10, 2011

*HHonors Diamond* As others have mentioned, this hotel is pretty standard for Doubletrees. My room wasn't huge but it was a King with everything I needed. The hotel was a little dated, but the staff were friendly. The parking is valet only, so be prepared for that cost. I am surprised this hotel is ranked so poorly for business travelers. If you travel for business a lot, you usually attain status which gets your fees removed for things like internet or breakfast. The breakfast service was very attentive as well.

I took two stars off for the following:

1) The front desk was located in the lobby up some stairs, which seemed odd as most people have rollerboards. God forbid you're in a wheelchair. That's a design flaw that should be addressed.

2) I stayed there for 2 nights and the first night I noticed that the sheet on the bed wasn't tucked in. It felt like someone had short sheeted my bed. This has never happened before. I told the front desk on Day 2 and asked if he could remind housekeeping to make the bed correctly. Night 2 I got into bed to find the exact same problem. When I left that morning and told the front desk, I got a shrug of the shoulders and an apology that told me that nothing would be done about it.

You want to earn more business, Doubletree, you need to focus on service more.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city if possible...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown

Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed here while visiting friends who were doing a show at the Theater Under the Stars and the hotel was walking distance which made it very convenient. My room was a corner King room which was spectacular!! I ate in the hotel bar/restaurant twice for dinner and the prices were reasonable and the food was very good. I would definitely recommend this Doubletree Downtown Houston.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2011

This is a great hotel! My husband had surgery at MD Anderson and our stay at the Downtown Embassy Suites was superb. The staff were caring and compassionate, very accomadating. They made sure our needs were met from special dietary requests to transportation needs. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was a somewhat spur-of-the-moment stay at a hometown hotel necessitated by a broken air conditioner during a record-setting heat wave. What a terrific job this hotel's staff does making their guests welcome and comfortable. The valets, the front desk staff, bartenders...everybody. They were smiling, making eye contact, handing us warm cookies, helpful without being cloying, and friendly and relaxed without being vacant or overly-fussy.

Our room was cool and comfortable when we entered, the bed was fantastic and we had a perfect night's sleep.

It was a weekend evening, and the folks who have complained about the area being "dead" do make something of a valid point. However, being able to walk to the Houston Pavilions more than makes up for that, at least to us. There you can find some good restaurants--one great one, in my opinion: Andalucia Tapas Restaurant and Bar--The House of Blues and a Lucky Strike Lanes, among other establishments.

If you're headed for downtown Houston, this is a great place to stay. It's a great value for the money, valet parking is also reasonably priced, it's facilities appear to be very well-appointed for events, (there was a wedding reception going on there during our stay), it's within walking distance of some very cool dining and entertainment and--never to be undervalued--the people there are very nice.

Room Tip: I would get the highest floor on the Dallas Street side.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2011

The staff were friendly. They always made sure to offer to open the door. Fresh cookies available anytime. We stayed on the 15th floor. I would recommend a corner room. They seem to have more space. Our room had two beds, a kitchen, dining room/living room with a pull out sofa bed. Very nice.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2011

For being a Double Tree by Hilton I was dissapionted. I've stayed in alot better for alot less. The room I stayed in as I went inside, the ceiling needed some much remodeling, it was very unsightly, most people would probably over look this but for the money you pay for at this place it is un-acceptable. I've stayed at Hamptons and Holliday Inn Express's which were better than this. When I mentioned it to the front desk at check out, the girl just smirked and did nothing about it. I guess she doesn't care.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

You grab a couple of really close girlfriends for a night out on the town. And to play it safe you need a nice hotel with complementary shuttle service, warm cookies and a compassionate staff which is exactly what I found at the Doubletree. Everyone from the valets to the housekeeping staff was attentive to the last detail. And when the receptionist learned about our occasion she knew just the right things to say and even offered to comp a meal at the restaurant. Since I already had dinner plans I accepted an appetizer at the bar and enjoyed the hospitality I found there. The room was located on the 19th floor and offered a great view of the city. It was clean and the beads were so comfortable. The hotel is very quiet as well. I would definitely stay at the Doubletree no matter what the occasion, but if you really need some TLC you need not look anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends