“Good business hotel”

Houston Marriott Westchase
Ranked #126 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here for one week during the Offshore technology conference and would recommended to the business traveller. Rooms are very comfortable...Marroitt, seem to have got this right and you can even order the mattress bed linen etc. Free Internet throughout and good selection at breakfast. Bathroom is typical of many U.S. hotels where the shower is in the bath...but the bath would actually seem to be to small to actually have a bath...There was no room safe, and no mini bar....The staff are very good, friendly and attentive

My overall experience was very good. the hotel is just off beltway 8 so very easy to get to.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
MarriottWestchase, General Manager at Houston Marriott Westchase, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

We could not be more pleased to hear that your recent conference and stay at the Houston Marriott Westchase was such a positive experience. It was wonderful to find out that you were so comfortable while staying with us and enjoyed our convenient location, services, amenities and staff so much. Thank you for your recommendation; we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We found this hotel less than desirable. When we arrived we wanted to upgrade to a larger room and were very happy to pay the difference. The manager told us that the hotel was fully booked by an oil company and that we couldn't upgrade. I then explained that I had been online 10 minutes earlier and there were rooms available. She still said we couldn't upgrade and pretty much walked off. I then asked to speak to a second manager who agreed that if the rooms were free online that we should be able to upgrade. Eventually (after about an hour of standing at the front desk) they allowed us to upgrade. By the way there was another couple standing right next to us trying to do the same thing.

The staff were very unhelpful in general - even the bar staff!

We won't be staying here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate your review regarding your recent stay. Our management team takes all guest feedback seriously and we sincerely apologize for all the difficulties encountered at check in. It is clear from your review that we missed an opportunity to create the experience you had expected of us but hope that one day you will visit us again and we can provide an experience that exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights for business. The lobby was under construction when I was there, but it did not affect my stay regarding noise, etc. The beds were comfortable and the rooms spacious enough. The breakfast buffet was an excellent value, and comes included in some room rates. The staff with the breakfast buffet was also especially efficient and helpful, and all took the extra mile to offer great service. The gym facilities were nice enough with your typical machines, but were new and well maintained. Room service was decent, food was not spectacular but was edible, and service was friendly. I would stay here again, but other than breakfast, it was an average stay and might look elsewhere depending on price, location, etc.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MarriottWestchase, General Manager at Houston Marriott Westchase, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Houston Marriott Westchase for your recent stay in the area. Providing friendly and efficient service in addition to comfortable accommodations and great amenities are important to us and we truly appreciate your feedback. We hope that on your next trip to Houston you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a high school reunion. The hotel was very nice. We had a very good rate for the nights of the reunion but were shocked when we asked for the rates for an extra day. I guess the price reflects the location. We were disappointed when we tried to change our reservation. The front desk couldn't help us, but they called the nat'l reservation #. Not very personal. We did have trouble during the stay with having spotty hot water available. The bkfst buffet was very nice. We stayed on the back side of the hotel and our room was very nice. The fitness center was well equipped and kept very cool. When the printer didn't work to print out our boarding passes we were allowed to use the printer at the concierge desk. Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in back are quiet - no micro/fridge in room. In room coffee was good
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

We are delighted that we could provide you with comfortable accommodations and friendly service during your recent stay for the reunion. Your kind remarks are greatly appreciated; however, we would like to offer our apologies for the trouble you experienced with the hot water. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Houston Marriott Westchase.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am afraid to say that this Marriott property falls well below the acceptable standard I expect from the chain.

To begin with this is one hectic hotel. Throughout my two night stay the hotel lobby was jammed with functions and the design of the atrium lobby only aided in the amplifying of the noise. The constant hum and shreiks from the lobby could be heard even on the higher floor levels down the corridor. Heaven forbid you have one of the interior rooms looking into the lobby atrium. My fears where not subsided by large signs outside the lifts at bedroom levels asking guests to keep the noise down. I expect signs like that in a hostel, not a high brand hotel, it can only go some way to warn you of the type of guests it attracts!

I found the front desk staff very uninterested and just going through the motions. There lacked any warmth or banter.

I stayed in two bedrooms during my stay. I had to change room for some reason. In both rooms I found the bed sheets to be old and tired with the white faded and small tears in the sheets. My rooms (750 and them 860) had horrific Internet connections which often dropped and always received a very poor signal. The air conditioning unit was far below acceptable standards. It cannot be switched off or fan strength controlled. Only the temperature could be set and it seemed to be simply two options........desert hot or arctic breeze!

I did order room service on two occasions and I admit I found my orders swiftly delivered and very tasty. I was however confused by the menu which stated that the tray charge was NOT part of the servers tip but never mentioned if the server actually got the 20% charge for room service. It seems unusually worded and left me assuming that I must still add a tip ontop of the service charge!

On two occasions I suffered a lack of hot water right as I was about to shower and shave, this was explained away as a result of thunder storms.....very bizarre as the storms had actually only commenced. Also the power went out throughout the hotel, also explained away to oblivion. Then to top it alloff one of my colleagues came down with food poisoning which she could only blame the breakfast buffet for.

All in all this was a very unfortunate but I fear not an altogether unique experience at this property and I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid the breakfast and ask for a room far far far away from the lobby!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

It is certainly disheartening to learn that we did not make a better impression during your stay. We do regret to read that you had challenges in so many areas and that your experience fell short of your expectations. We sincerely apologize for all the difficulties encountered during your stay and hope to have the opportunity to regain your trust in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Have recently stayed at this property, its a marked difference from any other Marriott Hotel that I have stayed in.
The staff, were not particularly helpful, friendly or approachable.The only commendable staff member I came across was a room cleaning lady, who was chatty and friendly.
Rooms were Ok, mine was clean, small, and the air con....well, its archaic, you CANNOT switch it on/off as you wish. You can control the temperature, but not the air flow, so it either blows hot air constantly, then when you get too warm, you adjust it to cool down, and an icy blast comes through, eventually chilling you to the bone.
My main criticism was the fact that the staff were generally disinterested, very unusual in the USA generally and very much so with the Marriott brand.
The bonus is there are numerous places to eat outside the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
MarriottWestchase, General Manager at Houston Marriott Westchase, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

It is disheartening when a guest leaves our hotel and feels they did not have their expectations met nor does it reflect the high standards of customer service that we set. It is clear from your review that we missed an opportunity to create the experience you had expected of us. We do regret any inconveniences you encountered and have notified our maintenance team to investigate the difficulties you described with the air conditioning. Thank you for reaching out to us and for your review.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Arrived at 10pm, upgraded to suite. Had 8 place dining table in room.King bed in large bedroom. Bathroom on the small side. Furnishings are a bit dated but clean and functioning. Hotel was full and breakfast buffet therefore had lineup. Excellent stay-for-breakfast rate. Check if available when booking and staying over a Saturday night.
Would stay again when in area.

Room Tip: Exen numbers face away from atrium's colored lights.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottWestchase, General Manager at Houston Marriott Westchase, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Our guests’ experience is always important to us and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the Houston Marriott Westchase. Thank you for taking the time to post your review; we hope to welcome you back soon.