“andor says: great place (now on 20th St.) food is fair”

Jenni's Noodle House
Ranked #3,194 of 8,311 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The restaurant on 20th Street in the Heights is really inviting, informal, contemporary and enjoyable. The menu is very diverse and customer service is great. We were a group of four and the only reason I give the place just an average, is because I was not that impressed with the food quality for the price.

Maybe I need to try the place again but for now that is my veredict.

There are newer reviews for Jenni's Noodle House

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The choice is ample but all around the same team, weak soup, noodles, some veggies and slivered meat. It fills but it's quite tasteless. Bamboo, mushrooms, bean sprouts it's all there but in traces and you may even overlook these two are three slivers of bamboo. It all appears to come from the same pot with the small ammount in additions making it what the menu tells you what it is. But on the whole not bad for an occasional lunch. I had a few times undercooked flat noodles and that spoils the fun. Also the vegie spring rolls are fillled with a putty material thgere where the real Vietnamese springrolls have cruncy veggies inside.

1  Thank Expatriateview
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This restaurant was located right across from the Houston Galleria, a short walking distance from our hotel. I was in the mood for soup, so we decided to try this Vietnamese restaurant. You place your order, pay, they give you a number, and you sit and wait at your table. They were fast - we waited only a few minutes before our soup arrived. If you have never tried Pho (Vietnamese soup) I urge you to try it. It was a fairly large bowl of soup with rice noodles, beef, and you can add bean sprouts and basil leaves). It was very tasty, service was good, the young lady at the counter was nice, and the prices reasonable. It is not fancy or pretentious, but a nice place to go for bowl of soup. Apparently, they even have a movie night!
I would go back.

2  Thank StarDeluxe
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had been saying we're going here since we saw how supportive Jenni's was in the Gay Pride Parade. Two floats and lots of cheers from the crowd.

It was a neighborhood place as the nice young man greeted several customers by name and a few customers spoke to each other like neighbors do!

Order at the small counter and they'll bring you your food. Get your own drinks and utensils. They have jalapenos, limes, salts and hot sauce at the drink fountain.

Disco Dumplings - chicken, crispy. Served soaking in a big bowl with dumpling sauce in the bottom. They were moist and not overly doughy. There were 5 in the order. I wish places would do even numbers of appetizers. So much easier to share. I would come in and order these anytime.

Stir Me Crazy with pork - wide noodles, thinly sliced fried pork, shiitake mushrooms, sprouts, bamboo, snow peas. Yummy! I added some cut up jalapenos and gave it a little kick. I didn't add any soy as there was a delicateness to it that didn't destroy the freshness of the ingredients.

Super Duper Fried Rice - rice, chicken, pork, shrimp, shiitake, bamboo, snow peas, green & red onions, sprouts. It was good but I liked the noodle dish better. The chicken was a little dry. There was decent sized shrimp and I appreciate that. But for the money it was a small fried rice dish and well...not all that.

I liked that everything wasn't drowning in some kind of peanut, brown or fish sauce. A lot of vegan, gluten free and low calorie dishes were on the menu. You can customize your dishes with about any meat or heat level you like.

I do think they are a bit pricey for what you get. I can go to Central Market and buy $20 worth of fresh veggies and stir fry at home for 2 or 3 people. An app we split and 2 entrees was $35.

No beer or wine and parking is very crowded in the little parking lot.

Oh and do not get one of the free mints from the bowl on your way out. Seriously it was the worst after dinner mint I ever had. I threw it out the car window as soon as I could.

Lots more to try and we'll be back.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I love the barebone decoration, smiling personnel and the food is awesome ! Try the disco dumplings ! I always go there when i come to town. It is BYOB too ! Nothing better.