“Nothing special”
Review of Kona Grill

Kona Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #303 of 8,243 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Great Uptown
Cross street: McCue
Description: Kona Grill was built on Exceptional Experiences and meals that create memories. Our global menu features contemporary American favorites, award-winning sushi, and specialty cocktails — all made from scratch using only the freshest ingredients. While the places that inspire our cuisine may be far away, a welcoming place that offers inspiring food, ultimate hospitality, and diverse choices is right around the corner.
“Nothing special”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The food was good. I had an appetizer and ahi salad. Nothing special though. The service was very slow despite that the restaurant was not busy.

Houston, Texas
“Was nice but nothing overly special”
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

The food was tasty. The service good. Located inside of the largest mall in town, there are endless options for a meal. Lunch was good but not certain I'd run back. There just wasn't anything that stood out to make it exceptional.

Brenham, Tx
“The servers and managers need some training.”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had our Mother's day lunch at Kona Grill. Since we had eaten here before, we knew what to espect. However when we ordered the sake sangria, the server brought a wine glass that was 1/4 full. For $8 this seemed a little small. We ask the servier if it looked correct and she said she check into it and asked if we would like to speak to the manager. I said "Yes I would". She brought the glasses back with a little it more sangria in it. It still looked light. The taste was good and we proceeded to eat our meals. Later the manager finally stopped by to apologize. It turned out the bar had forgotten to put ice in the glass which would have made the glass look approriately full. She did not off to compensate us for the bar;s mistake. We would probably not return. They need some training.

Bermuda Run, North Carolina
“Good food”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Went there twice in a week. The sushi and rolls were great. Good atmosphere and the wait staff were very prompt and courteous. The restaurant was busy but getting served and out of there was a zip. Highly recommend the place

• Visited April 2013
Wildwood Crest, New Jersey
“Give it a try”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Ate here last night, the only reason it's not receiving a terrible rating is because of the manager, forgive me if I got your name wrong, Wei. Without a doubt one of the worst servers I've ever encountered, my dinner companion ordered a glass of wine and it took 20 mins and several requests to get it because our server was too busy shooting the breeze. Dinner arrived luke warm and that was probably because he forgot it was sitting in the kitchen, I requested salt from another worker because our server was no where to be found who inturn went to our server. Yet again a second request was made for the salt and I was told by our server it was coming, it's salt no preparation is necessary, you pick up the salt and bring it to the table this was a 15min process. We waited 35mins for two simple requests. The server decided to comp us a dessert, you've guessed it as we patiently waited for the dessert he forgot it. Then when he finally took the order, we ordered Red Velvet cake and when the order came we received a cupcake.

He did say he had a rough day, when I go out for dinner to get away from what's going on in my daily stressful life. I am not an insensitive person and I really do care about my fellow man but sometimes I need time to think about me and really don't want to hear about how rough the day was for the waiter, I can pick up take out and stay home in that case. He asked me why I didn't tell him the food was cold, he would have gotten another order for me; I responded that I did not have an hour to wait.

I have never given a 15% tip because I know servers have a very stressful job, I usually do 20-22%, I made an exception and gave this one 15% more than he deserved.

The manager heard of what happened but not from us, we gave her an explaination and she very generously compt us our meal which I was not expecting but it shows great customer service on her part. Orginally I had no intention of ever stepping foot in this restaurant again, but I gave my word to the manager I would return and I am a person of my word. I won't do it soon because I need to first forget the experience of the world's most forgetful server.

So to the manager of this establishment .... Well Done!

• Visited April 2013