“Not Much”

Ranked #773 of 8,396 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I dont get the big deal with this place...I have been twice recently and left both time. Let me start off by saying we have been on a quest to find the nest burger in Houston. I went to Yelp to help us with this task. We searched burgers...then narrowed that down by using the highest reviewed button. Petrol Staion comes right up there on the first page...great.
We went Saturday..we came in from the side street (which is the main way to this address from the freeway) and couldnt find a sign on the building to even see if we were in the right place or not. It was a strange crowd to say the least. We searched around looking like we were lost. Couldnt find a menu the bar was a mess of people tryinmg to order, you couldnt see all the scribbled chaulk writtings on the wall behind the bar. So we left...thinking this cant be the Petrol Station.
We eventually went back home and straight to Yelp to see where we went wrong...but we didnt THAT was Petrol Station! Wow,,,I guess we will try again.
We made the pilgrimage back through the NW Houston neighborhood to the same location. Understandably they werent as busy as they were on saturday. We did notice how messy the place was..the patio looked like a tornado went thru there and even the main room was just filthy.
I ask fo a menu and they said it was on the wall behind them, they dont have a menu to hand out. Uuuuhhmmm ok. Well only if we could see the wall much less read the horrible penmanship of which it was written. All I was thing was...what happened to that menu that I saw pictured on the Yelp pics...are we sure we are at the right place?
Finally I noticed a smalled chaulk board with a small food menu including "Cheeseburger $4.50". Thats it as far a burgers go. What happened to the four speciality burghers on that printed menu? The sandwiches, the starters, the soups and salads, there was even kids portions on there!? In fact what happened to the menu at all?!
We just go a bad vibe in this place...the bartenters were a little too rough for us as well.

1  Thank Montecore1

Reviewed October 30, 2013

One of the best beer spots in Houston. It's hidden away in a neighborhood (Garden Oaks), but it's worth the drive off the beaten path. The food is excellent for bar food, in fact, it's good for any restaurant. The patio is excellent so it's a great place to go when the weather is nice.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Amazing beer selection, best I saw while visiting Houston. The location is pretty random (as are most things in Houston), in a neighborhood so there's really nothing else to do around it, but this is a fun place to spend the entire evening tasting different beers and meeting new people. The bartenders really knew about beer and the back patio is delightful. About 85% males at the Petrol Station, but it didn't bother me. Ordered the hummus platter and it was obviously very fresh but not the best I've had. The fries were delish and my friends enjoyed their fish tacos and burgers. A great little place to casually hang out...if you love beer, GO!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The location is in an old gas station. There is ample parking but it can get really crowded on the weekends so I generally only go during the week. They have an extensive beer list with some pretty obscure beers that will satisfy any beer snobs. The workers are all dressed like hipsters but they are super friendly. Get the petrol burger, a cold beer and a bunch of napkins and you're all set.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Iowa ain't got nothin' on the Petrol Station! If you want a laid back atmosphere, fantastic food and the biggest selection of quality craft beers then Petrol Station is for you. They've been around for a few years now and ever since we moved into the neighborhood we always make a point to visit. When they're busy, they can take a while to get your food out. But that's only because their kitchen (which was recently expanded by the way) is the size of a walk in closet. The bar can get pretty packed (5, 6 people deep) but it's absolutely worth it. The staff knows their stuff and they are always willing to give a sample of something you've never tried. If you can't find a seat inside (very limited indoor seating), try their back patio, or their front patio, or their side patio. This place has the largest outdoor seating area of anywhere I've visted. Oh, and order the Rancor burger. Trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.