“A last minute lunch reveals a hidden gem”

Brasserie Max & Julie
Ranked #689 of 8,399 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Cross street: Richmond
Transit: There is a Metro bus line stop in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

On our way home from MFAH our stomach's started growling and we realized we hadn't had lunch. We stopped here on a whim and were treated to a table upstairs on the balcony under the big oak tree. Nice setting, mental note to come back in the evening for some twinkly light ambiance. I ordered the Croque Madame with frites and it was tasty. Loved the presentation of the frites. Is it a sign of dementia, that I've already forgotten what hubby had? Whatever it was, I didn't get a chance to taste it before it was gone. Completely. We contemplated ordering their coffee souffle, but remembered the huge bundt cake at home and took a pass. On our way out, we noted the cozy atmosphere of the lower level and the many different languages being spoken. We will be back.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Cozy, intimate and warmly casual, Max & Julie's offers exceptional french cuisine. Gracious, attentive service and a good wine selection compliment the great menu.
The Pate is perfect and the "floating Island" is a sweet ending!
Tres Bon!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This brasserie has a number of country French dishes. I had the sweetbread, cooked whole, and delicious. The profiteroles were a sinful indulgence that I don't regret. The service was very good. The wine list was not overwhelming, but was very full and reasonably priced. We will go back when we are in Houston again

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Excellent food. We had the duck and the trout provencal. Both were excellent, as was the wine. The waitstaff was friendly, informed, and efficient. Great location near the museum district.

1  Thank davidsos
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We are so happy to have this restaurant in Houston as a go to for real French cuisine. My husband and I have been traveling to France every year for the past 15 years and have dined in the simplest bristros or brasseries to Paul Bocuse in Lyon, France or Alain Ducasse's Le Louis XV in Hotel de Paris Monte Carlo. The art of creating french dishes, simple or complex takes a real understanding of French cuisine and Max & Julie's gets it all right. The dishes are priced well and there is alot of variety. The atmosphere is comfortable, charming, and still elegant. The service is freindly and are accommidating to any food issue a paton may have. My girlfriend loves the restaurant and she is gluten intolerent. They made a beautiful dish that is true to the French cuisine and no wheat. Thank you. It is a perfect place to have brunch after church on Sunday. Many of my family and friends make it a regular habit after church to relax and enjoy a afternoon brunch. I commend them on service. When you are dining, that table is yours until you decide that you are finished. The table is yours. They could sell the table many times but they don't rush you. It is a very popular place and yet absorbs it all and you still feel comfortable and private. The management are exceptional. They accommedate you when one makes a last minute drop in without putting anyone out. If you haven't tried it you need to make it your next reservation whether it's an occassion or you just do not feel like cooking.