“Falsely accused of smoking in room.”

MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park
Ranked #171 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went to Houston to see a doctor at MD Anderson Medical Center about my cancer diagnosis, like many of the guests at MainStay Suites. I was there one night and everything went well. After I arrived home I checked my bank balance and discovered that I had been charged $150 for smoking in my room. I have lung cancer and have not smoked in 17 years. Smoking is the last thing that I would do to myself at this point, and although I explained that to the manager, Elizabeth, she refused to see things my way and drop the $150 charge. Do not stay there unless you want to be arbitrarily charged for smoking in your room and be assessed an extra $150 fee.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank robbie r
gmtx933, General Manager at MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Sir,

I apologize that you feel you were falsely accused, however our hotel is a smoke free property and has a policy which states if there are signs of smoking guest will be charged $150 in violation of this policy, which you acknowledged by signing on the registration card. Upon your departure of the hotel your room smelled of smoke and dectectors in room were set off signifying smoke, by this your room was charged the fine for violation of the policy. After consideration and as a courtesy even before you posted this comment you were refunded the amount of the $150.00. In there were any other issues or charges which you feel were not accurate please feel free to contact me directly at the property.

There are newer reviews for MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I had stayed at the MainStay Suites three years ago and we liked it. We returned this January and we still like it!
It's not a fancy hotel, but it really feels like home away from home. The rooms are very comfortable and they have a partial wall that divides the "bedroom" from the living room and kitchen. It is really nice to have a full-size refrigerator, microwave, stove, sink, etc. The carpet in the bedroom was old but the room was clean, and so was the bathroom, which is quite comfortable as well.
This time we used the shuttle to the Medical Center: Always on time, very courteous driver, excellent service. To our surprise, this hotel has a separate shuttle to Houston Hobby Airport, which we used.
I'm giving it four stars because of the bad wireless connection. We were never able to use it sitting on the couch. We had to use the computer on the bed or just stand close to the door to get a better signal. Still, it was painfully slow.
But all in all, I really like this hotel and its staff and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Strong points: super clean rooms, modestly equipped kitchen area, decent room furnishings, friendly management. Free van service to med center buildings and to airport.
Modest attributes: rooms on the street side are noisy, hotel is located at the outer edge of the complex of medical buildings. Eating area is crowded at 7am, fruit unavailable, good selection of dried cereals, and decent coffee. Room size is not as generous as Extended Stay, and rooms are not sound proof--persistent coughing could be heard from adjacent room. Shopping areas are some distance away.
Bottom line: very acceptable accommodations, budget price, few amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms on back side--away from road are quiter
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in January. I was quite happy with the advertised amenities, like the kitchen (full fridge, 2 burner stove, dishwasher, dishes, utensils, etc.), and overall the room was in good shape. I did notice that a previous guest must have left a used washcloth behind on the shower curtain rod, which housekeeping missed. The breakfast was fine. No fruit or yogurt or anything healthy really- but there were hot items like eggs and sausage patties. Unfortunately, I did not rent a car on this trip because I was relying on the advertised shuttle. The hotel website says that the shuttle runs 7 am to 9pm. Turns out, this is not the case for the airport service, which stops at 5. I found this out when I called after arriving on my 5:45 pm flight, to find out that I would need to find an ATM and take out ~$45 for a cab to get to the hotel. The next morning, when using the shuttle to get to an interview several blocks away, I was informed that it departs once an hour, and that the medical appointments of other guests took a higher priority than my job interview. When they got to my location (which the driver was passing in order to go to other appointments first, even though mine started at the same time), I actually had to beg the driver to let me out on the side of the road so I wouldn't be late, and then hiked up the lawn in my suit and heels. The driver was very unfriendly, and I decided I would rather do a 20 minute walk back to the hotel in my high heels in the rain than be forced to interact with him again. Because my flight departed at 9 am, there was no option of me being able to use the shuttle to go to the airport the next day, so again, out to find a gas station ATM and a cab. The front desk staff were helpful in calling me a cab. Overall, it is a good hotel for the money for people who want to be close to the medical center, however it is a little out of the way (I would not advise walking through the neighborhood as I did), and the shuttle is not reliable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Staff were exceptional! Great breakfast too! Special thanks to Chan Lee owner of the MainStay Suites in Houston Texas for being such a great host & driving me to Lakewood Church & to the airport afterwards!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The motel is a four storey building that is made up of prefab boards and its not soundproof. You can hear people talking at the walkway from your room and footsteps above.

Location is near the medical center but there's nothing out there except a petrol kiosk with a minimart, church's chicken and subway opposite. This whole place is like a wasteland and no one walks out there. I have been told by my local friends that this area is unsafe, be vigilant if you are there. Stay indoors at night and don't roam the streets alone.

Although there's free shuttle every hour to the medical centre, the driver, ED is downright rude, impatient and sacarstic. We called him to pick us up at the top of the hour, we waited at the same location for more than hour and he didn't appear, called him and he shouted at me. So we had no choice but to take a cab back.

If you want to stay near the medical center for a long period, stay at Marriott residence where the Metrorail station Dryden/TMC is just a stone throw away.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank triftan
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Everyone was very friendly and it was very clean. There we're some ladies in the eating area that evening and they invited us to a free dinner they had prepared. My daughter was carrying her 7 month old son, which has cancer, and one of the ladies ask her if they were there for medical reasons. My daughter told them about her son and they ask her if they could pray there for him and my daughter was delighted. After the prayer they gave her a beautiful ceramic. We will certainly stay there on our other trips to MDAnderson. The medical district is very close and they also have free shuttle.

• Stayed: December 2012