“Good food, mediocre service”

Himalaya Restaurant & Catering
Ranked #2,435 of 8,548 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The food is delicious. This restaurant would be worth recommending to everyone but the service is mediocre, at best.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

In Houston on business. First time I ate food here, it was a Takeaway with a family friend and it was delicious. It's probably the best Indian/ Pakistani food I have had outside of India and I have travelled far and wide, if I say so myself.
The food is authentic, without having been modified to suit the local tastes, except maybe, for the spice level. Then again, Pakistani food is relatively less spicy, as compared to Indian food. I had the Chicken Hara Masala (cooked in a green chilli gravy), which was outstanding. The Goat biriyani, while not the best that I have eaten, was truly amazing. Very well flavored, plenty of meat and cooked just right. The restaurant also does some great Kebabs (as informed by a local friend) but I simply could not resist ordering the same Hara masala and the biriyani, the second time around. The portions are large (compared to elsewhere in the US and ofcourse, India) and I was more than happy to walk away with a food container for the left-overs, which I thoroughly enjoyed for dinner.
Prices are not cheap, but the large portions do justify the above average pricing. The decor, ambience and service in the restaurant was pretty average and they don't serve liquor. (You are allowed to bring your own as long as you order an entree).
Reading some of the reviews (I just read them before writing this review), I noticed some pretty strong (negative) comments about the proprietor. All I can say is that he is definitely an eccentric fellow and that I was treated alright. NO CUSTOMER DESRVES TO BE TREATED BADLY and had that happened in my case, I would not have patronised the place, no matter how tasty the food. Maybe that's why most customers prefer to order a takeaway.
I too, was not given a proper receipt (as has happened with some other customers) but I was not overcharged either.
The proprietor has a Bachelor's degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management and a Masters in Business Management/ Human Resource Management, both of which are framed and displayed at the restaurant. If only he were to put both to good use, spruce up the place and employ good service staff, it can really do wonders for his business.
I will ceetainly go back to this place before I leave Houston.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is one of the worst restaurant in Houston. The owner/manager is rude to guests and employees. This place is dirty. Service is horrible. I have met few jerks in my life but nothing tops the owner/manager of this restaurant. Very UN-professional.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have being to this restaurants every time I am in Houston Great Restaurant for Goat & Chicken Biryani the Anbience is not so great but the tasty food compensates for it Try out Goat Kheema its great

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I just had to write a review. It was SOO good! We are ethnic foodies and we love to discover hole-in-the-wall gems.This was one of the best meals we had this year. I ordered the grill sampler: Chicken, Lamb, and Beef. Everything was good but the beef was sublime (grilled on the outside, a little pink on the inside), and seasoned and marinated to perfection. The garlic naan, excellent. The butter naan, clouds of fluffy and buttery goodness. My wife had the Balochi Resha Gosht, which is shredded beef in a spicy sauce of tomatoes, herbs, and spices. She thought it was very good and is looking forward to going back and trying more of the chef's specialities. The owner was very gracious and treated us to a dessert. Can't wait to go back with friends!