“Good Casual Seafood”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: McGowen Street
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This is my second visit to Reef. Reef is a casual seafood restaurant with well above average seafood dishes and a joyously eclectic wine list. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a serious business lunch or dinner, but other than that, it's a great place for seafood and wine.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

I really wanted to enjoy this restaurant more, but it felt somewhat staid or lifeless. The waiter was friendly but not very engaging and the dishes fell short of what I expected. The choices of fish were wide but the presentation and freshness were lacking. Perhaps it was just an off night, but we will try it again as the potential is there!

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Beautiful decor in the restaurant.
In the bar good pizza - very thin.
Tasty beef sliders.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Two reasons to dine at this place: major reason is the freshness of the seafood which is prepared by Iron Chef America. Second minor reason is the wine.

We tried two raw appetizers; the snapper carpaccio and the tuna avocado. Both dishes were prepared very well, although we felt the carpaccio was overpowered by the grapefruit juice that we did not taste much of the snapper.
Redfish and Thai Style Red snapper whole fish were cooked to perfection.
Service is Ok (may be suboptimum), a very busy place, they couldn’t keep up with every table.
The Décor is flat. At first glimpse, my impression was… I am eating in a basement of a school cafeteria. When you sit down, look up at the ceiling, you will see the pipes… etc.
Best wine list. I found several of my favorite wines, those more than ninety points on Wine Spectator Scale.

My recommendation: go there for the food, not for the dining experience.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Creative use of fresh ingredients, Everything was made thoughtfully and perfectly executed. One of my most memorable meals ever!