“This resturant is now called Woodrow's Heights”
Review of Mardi Gras Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Neighborhood: Washington Ave./ Memorial Park
Neighborhood: Washington Ave./ Memorial Park
Planet Earth
“This resturant is now called Woodrow's Heights”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am a fan of Cajun and Southern Louisiana food so my visit today was much anticipated due to friends telling me how good the food was. I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed. The location was hard to find and when you enter the first thing you notice is the place is rustic and loud. I decided not to pass judgment too quickly and to sit back, relax, and see what happens.
We were seated quickly and after that things slowed down quite a bit. Our party had arrived around 12:45PM so we were at the last of the lunch rush. We received menus, water, and then waited for what seemed like a long time but was most likely more like ten minutes. The menu is two single sheets, one with the lunch menu and the other the regular dishes. This is where it got interesting, you could order a lunch entrée but on looking further found you could get the same thing in what was called "Big Ol Platters" for about the same cost. There is also an extensive list of beers available, some from Abita Brewery, which were very good. Served cold in a tall mug.

The menu had the usual assortment of fried and grilled seafood with the seasonal addition of several crawfish dishes fried, etouffee, and boiled by the pound. Appetizers (called starters on the menu) ranged from fried pickles ($5) to hot crab fingers ($15). A couple of the appetizers were unique, fried gator ($11) and fried green tomatoes ($6). I didn't try a starter but want to go back and try a couple of them instead of ordering an entrée. I noticed when the appetizers were served at an adjacent table the portions were very generous.
There is a good assortment of different salads offered with seafood topping. There were several po-boys on the menu with one of them being a French fry po-boy. One of the burgers on the menu was called Green Eggs and Ham-burger, which one of my table mates ordered. Served on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, fried egg, pepper jack cheese and herb mayonnaise. It is served with French fries or onion rings and looked delicious. Another standard item was the New Orleans Muffaletta.
After looking the menu over I decided on fried crawfish with my side order being onion rings. I received a large metal pan that looked like an old fashioned pie pan that was full of crawfish and onion rings. The crawfish were cooked to perfection and only lightly battered. The onion rings were thin, lightly battered and cooked crisp but not hard. The serving was huge and while they were delicious I wound up with a large doggie bag full of crawfish to take home. There were several signature dishes called Woodrow's Cajun Favorites. The most interesting of these "signature" dishes was called seafood courtbouillon ($17). I definitely want to return and try this one.
Dessert wasn't on the menu but we noticed a young lady near the bar icing what looked like cupcakes. When we inquired were told they were beer batter chocolate, with a butter cream icing. A couple were ordered for the table and the bite I had was delicious, with a dense texture and rich chocolate flavor. I didn't notice any beer taste but after eating one of the "Big Ol Platters" really wasn't in the best frame of mind to enjoy a dessert.
To wind this up: Woodrow's Heights is definitely a place to which I'll return. The food was tasty, served hot, and the portions were generous. For the quality of food it was priced reasonably and while noisy with food this good I'll just ignore it.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank awp529

Austin, Texas
“Bringing Cajun Country to Houston!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you like authentic Cajun and Southern Louisiana style seafood, prepared right, you need to visit Mardi Gras. The fried shrimp are seasoned and butterflied and fried to perfection...try the great Gulf Oysters and the Gumbo....oh yes...it's the real deal!

Visited July 2012
Houston, Texas
“In my top 10!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The location, atmosphere, and food make this one of my favorite restaurants in Houston. I've visited Mardi Gras many times over the years, and have never had a bad experience. From the staff, to the crawfish, to the stuffed shrimp, to the garlic bread, to the beer...Mardi Gras Grill is fabulous!!

• Visited November 2011
Spring, Texas
“Good Shrimp Poboy”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stopped by Mardi Gras Grill for lunch today. I had the half shrimp half oyster poboy with combo of fries and onion rings. The oysters were just okay. I have had better fried oysters. The shrimp on the other hand were very good. Not overcooked and still moist and juicy. The bread they were served on was also good. The onion rings were good as well and fries were tasty too. Service was average and not enough for me to give this visit any higher than three stars. Will return during crawfish season to see how they are as I hear they are very good.

• Visited January 2012
Houston, Texas
“My 2nd Home!”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I've been going here since it was called Floyds' Cajun Shack, and owned by Floyd Landry. A lot has changed in th past 20 years , but the food is still amazing!! Just make sure you go when Cheppo is cooking and Pedro is bar tending! At the bar or on the deck is a great place to be with good friends and good food.

• Visited July 2011