“Enjoyed my stay but expected a little better”

Sara's Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 55 Houston B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I recently returned from Houston and spent two nights at this B & B. I selected this option after reading stellar reviews, many with a 5 star rating. I enjoyed my stay here but I do not believe this is a 5 star experience. This is a lovely home in a fantastic area in Houston. It was very comfortable and pleasant. I simply feel a little underwhelmed by the service. Prior to my arrival in Houston, I emailed the B & B to ask whether they could recommend a golf course in the area. I received a short email with one course with the phone number. In my view, a 5 star hotel/B & B would have offered to book a tee time. I enjoyed meeting Connie at check in and she was very pleasant. That was the only time I saw her my entire two nights. I stayed in the Granbury Suite which was comfortable, nice and quiet. The bathroom needs work. The shower has a component which is to hold shampoo, conditioner and two types of body gel. They were out of the body gel. No additional bathroom amenities were offered. I should also compliment Jeannie, the hostess for breakfast in the morning. Very nice and welcoming!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
bobbydon, Owner at Sara's Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2010

After reading BullDogMatt's other 22 reviews on TripAdvisor, we feel our Inn did pretty good. Please take the time to read his other reviews and you will see a pattern.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed here for a wedding in town. Very convenient location. Very comfortable, clean, and friendly. Breakfast was excellent with a wide choice of items. the

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Beautiful old home. They treat their guests very well. In a perfect location in Houston. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank judicross
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed for 5 nights at Sara's and fell in love with the Inn. We arrived and were greeted by Jeanie, who was caring for the Inn while the owners were on vacation. She was a lovely woman and added Texas charm to the Inn. The house was a beautiful, large old home with many rooms. It was immaculate and each room was decorated beautifully. We were able to look into most of the rooms on the first night, before the Inn filled up on the weekend and would have been happy to stay in any one of them. Our room was the epitome of Texas decor and even had a "steer" wall hanging over the bed. The room temperature was cool and comfortable. The King size bed was clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but that is not unusual for old homes and was certainly sufficient. Each morning, Jeanie greeted us for breakfast and the continental breakfast was beyond our expectations. Jeanie offered to cook us breakfast each morning if we wanted hot food instead. The only "suggestion" I could make to the owners was to extend the breakfast hour because 8-9 is a little difficult to make each day, especially since we were on vacation and would have like to have a little more leisure time in the morning. The breakfast area was charming and could be used for private functions. A pleasing amenity was the fresh baked brownies and coffee available 24 hours a day!!! There was a computer with internet available all the time and there was always soothing, pleasant music playing in the common areas downstairs. We will absolutely stay there again if we return to the Houston area and we will compare the quality and service of future bed & breakfasts to the standards of Sara's.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Everything about Sara's Inn exceeded my expectations. I got much more than I paid for in terms of value.

The location, The Heights neighborhood of Houston, is beautiful with restored Victorian-style homes, some converted into offices or other types of businesses. I enjoyed an evening walk, then the next morning a jog on the walking/jogging trail that runs right in front of the Inn. The trail is obviously popular with the locals, as I saw numerous people walking, jogging or taking their dog for a stroll.

There are lots of restaurants to choose from within just a few miles of the Inn and the museum district, one of the reasons I chose Sara's, is no more than about 5 miles to the south. The location couldn't be better.

My room, the Dallas Room, was clean and nicely decorated, the bathroom was large with a jacuzzi tub as well as a large shower. The king-size bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, better than most hotel beds in my experience.

The older lady who prepared the complimentary breakfasts was a doll. She was very accomodating and very enjoyable to visit with. I told her I hope to return to Houston again for another vacation before long and I definitely plan to stay at Sara's again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Deep in the heart of Texas there is a charming hideaway just five minutes from the hustle and bustle of Houston's heart. I had to attend a business function and the location was an immediate concern to me because I am unfamiliar with the Houston area and wanted to avoid heavy traffic. When I looked into the chain hotels that I am familiar with, I was disappointed to find high prices and mixed reviews, not to mention likely traffic congestion. On a whim, I searched for bed and breakfast lodging in the area and was delighted to find Sara's. I am not sure what was the most charming feature but every touch made my stay both relaxing and pleasant. I made sure to sample the delicious brownies on arrival and took a few minutes to venture up the spiral staircase in my temporary home (the Tyler room) to admire the view the following evening. I enjoyed dinner at a local spot nearby and was graciously attended by the kind lady who serves breakfast very early so that I could be on my way. The modern conveniences were all in place yet the feeling of being transported to another era stayed with me as I admired the decor throughout.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I echo the many positive reviews of this B&B. My room was pleasant, comfortable, and very clean. The owners are a delight. Without being solicitous, they make sure that every guest is comfortable. In my case, they knew I had eye surgery at the end of my businrss trip and took the extra step to check that I was okay. Thanks, Bob and Connie. One bit of information missing from other reviews I've read is the convenience of the location. My business takes me to downtown. Just 1/2 block away from the B&B, I could catch a bus and arrive downtown in just 15 minutes. Great stay. I encourage others to visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business