“Quiet and cool, great location”

Sara's Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 55 Houston B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Booked our stay a day before heading to Houston. Got 10% for each night we stayed on top of it being one of the best prices in a great location in Houston. Quieter than other parts of the city, with a running trail that will take you close to Spotts Park. The Inn was always cool, even in the heat and humidity. There was the sweetest old lady who baked bread and muffins for breakfast each morning, offered to make waffles and eggs and generally made breakfast pleasant.

Minor complaints and observations (not enough to lower the rating): Don't expect large rooms or the latest electronics. The TVs are small, but use basic cable so are responsive unlike the usual hotel TVs. Most rooms do not have a DVD player and ours wasn't connected properly.

Room Tip: Back upstairs rooms will have the least foot traffic outside their doors, although the kitchen is di...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I travelled from San Antonio to Houston to spend three days at Sara's Bed & Breakfast Inn. The heat in Houston during our stay was around the high 30s (C) and we were relieved to arrive at Sara's and be immersed in cool comfort the moment we opened the front door. Bob and Connie were friendly and we felt immediately at home. We stayed in the Dallas Room which was decorated in soft blues and whites. The bed was very comfortable which is important to us although we did have a few problems with the TV connection. The Wifi connection was also very weak in the bedroom but it was much stronger in the dining room so if you're keen to keep in connect with family and news from home, use the dining area for Wifi. Access to the dining room was available all day and night. The Inn is located in Heights Boulevard which is a beautiful street. We enjoyed our walks (when it wasn't too hot) and were particularly interested in the architecture of the houses, many of which had great character, very different from the ones back home in Australia. Breakfast each morning was set up in the dining room which was a light and spacious room at the back of the Inn, a few steps down from the kitchen. It was a buffet style breakfast although we were met each morning by Jeannie who was a lovely person and greeted each guest with enthusiasm and was very eager to please everyone. Without giving away her age, she was very interesting to talk to and was very helpful with advice regarding the neighbourhood and general information and she was always on hand to make us whatever variety of egg dish we wanted. All in all, our experience at Sara's Bed & Breakfast Inn was very enjoyable and we would recommend this accommodation to anyone staying in Houston.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I'm originally from Houston and have lived in the Heights area, which is why I chose to stay here. I love this neighborhood. Would choose to stay in the Heights rather that the busier Galleria area if you would like to stay in a more relaxing, but still very central, location. There are walking trails all around the neighborhood and Sara's is within walking distance of several restaurants/ bars and easy driving/ taxi distance from a ton of the coolest restaurants and bars in Houston.
The B&B is in a historic Victorian house; very charming, cute and comfortable. Will stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mishellyn
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked my 2 day weekend and had an easy check in and lovely stay. I loved the decor and everything was clean (and I am sort of a clean freak). The owners were nice and helpful, room was large enough for me to do my yoga routine and room to spare. The breakfast was OK, a lot of effort and a beautiful spread but since I don't eat meat and not much dairy, it cut the list down to a few choices. I would recommend they have vegetarian breakfast tacos and eggs without cheese and sausage. But they had tons of other items like fresh fruit, waffles, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, etc... Exquisite dining area and I really appreciated the mini-fridge in my room. I had the room with the AC unit close by (humming noise) but that is to be expected. I have never been in a room even in my own house where you don't hear the AC, especially in Texas. I would recommend Sara's anytime!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sara's last weekend while visiting our son and future daughter-in-law for a Mothers Day weekend that they hosted. We chose Sara's because of it's close proximity to their house but were so pleased with the Inn that we have booked the entire place for a family weekend. Bob and Connie are just wonderful, down-home people who welcomed everyone in a most casual, family way. We had bikes with us and left one outside at night and Bob moved it inside just to make sure it was safe.
The location is on historic Heights Boulevard with huge oak trees shading the street and has a jogging path in the median for those who want to walk or jog. There is also a bike trail which goes forever and we rode all the way into downtown Houston from the Inn. Houston seems to be a very bike-friendly town.
The homemade food was wonderful, 24 hour coffee and brownies were great and a nice bonus of a bottle of wine available for all to sample until it was gone.
The WiFi had excellent coverage in all areas of the house and the parking outside was ample for all guests. I just can't say enough good things about this place but guess I'd better stop.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was traveling to Houston on business, and all of the hotels in downtown were booked up or prohibitively expensive. So I decided to venture off the beaten path, and what a pleasure that was! Although I arrived late after dinner with friends, the parking was plentiful, and I was greeted at the door and shown to my room -- upgraded even to a bigger suite! The room was charming and quiet. The bed and linens were very comfortable, and I slept well. I really liked the big fan in the room. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Since I had to get downtown so early, it was pretty quiet in the breakfast room. It was a very easy drive downtown. The Heights is such a wonderful area in Houston. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: There are pictures available on the web site of each room. I stayed in the San Antonio room on the s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2013

It was a pleasure to stay at Sara's Bed & Breakfast Inn. With their very nice and lovely rooms as well as the nice service and contact; you can find at Sara's a oasis of rest in the middle of the city of Houston.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family