“Excellent pasta, charming staff”

Sud Italia Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Sud Italia Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #220 of 8,690 Restaurants in Houston
Reviewed July 28, 2016

Dined here as a party of 4 in April for dinner, and sat on the lovely shaded deck outside.

I can't say enough good things about this place. The service was excellent--attentive and gracious, without being "fussy." Our waiter, Massimo, was absolutely delightful, and charmed us with stories of growing up in Italy.

We each ordered a different pasta dish, and all were seriously excellent. I found the prices more than reasonable for the quality. To date, this is my favorite Italian restaurant in Houston.

1  Thank Stephanie M
Shanon68, Owner at Sud Italia Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2016

Stephanie,
It a pleasure having everyone in. I am so happy that you guys enjoyed your dining experience and we all look forward to seeing everyone again very soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2016

My first time. Valet parking made it easy to enter a congested area. The restaurant is quaint and lovely. The table was perfect and we were immediately assisted in the wine selection, dinner specials and drinks. They have wine and beer only, but the wine was superb; we didn't miss our usual vodka rocks at all. We shared a summer salad; watermelon and cucumbers drizzled with cheese, lemon juice and olive oil. Delicious and perfect for July in Houston. Pasta was a ink black pasta with seafood in marinara sauce. Every bite was outstanding. The seafood, clams and shrimp were perfectly cooked. For dinner we split the filet. The plate was ample and the tastes delighted the pallet with every bite. Asparagus, potatoes, mushrooms and beef made it sensational. Great conversation and ambiance with a friend made it an excellent evening, but the limoncello was the perfect ending. You've got to go to Sud Italia. You'll be happy you did. I'll be back.

Shanon68, Owner at Sud Italia Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2016

It was our pleasure having you in. I am really glad that you both enjoyed everything including my housemade limoncello and we look forward to seeing you back in very soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

Wow--terrific food and ambiance! I had the branzino. It was finished table side. Moist and delicious. The service was just right--time to talk/visits. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem for authentic Italian food!

1  Thank jswflights
Shanon68, Owner at Sud Italia Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2016

Thank you for joining us and I am so glad that everything was perfect.

Reviewed July 9, 2016

Sud Italia Ristorante is located in the beautiful neighborhood of Rice Village – close to shopping, Rice University, the Museum District and many other hot Houston attractions.

One of the first things you notice as you walk into Sud Italia Ristorante is how romantically cozy the restaurant is. I feel at home instantly… which makes sense because this historic home has been renovated into a restaurant.

The deck is a beautiful area to savor a meal al fresco while you people watch and take in the fresh air. There’s a cozy dining room as well as a small bar where you can stop and enjoy a glass of wine before your meal.

With a number of different atmospheres to choose from, Sud Italia Ristorante is a wonderfully romantic restaurant for any occasion. I am immediately reminded of my favorite La Jolla eateries and know this will be a night I will not soon forget.

One of the benefits of having so many foodie friends is that I get a chance to hear what they think. Here at Sud Italia Ristorante, most of them were raving about the fresh seafood. The fresh vegetables. The fresh… well, you get the point. Come to find out, the seafood is delivered daily.

I had been warned that I might get caught up in the extensive Southern Italian wine list, and that I did. Ha! I was happy to find out that our server was extremely knowledgeable – so we decided to put it in his hands for the night. Good choice! I recommend you do the same. We started things off with a couple of appetizers: Fritto Misto and Sausage e Friarelli paired with Regaleali Nero d’Avola Sicilia DOC 2013, Tasca d’Almerita. This ruby-red wine had a delightful berry taste which complimented both appetizers well.

Oh, the Fritto Misto was absolutely incredible! Definitely a must-eat here at Sud Italiano Ristorante! Although it’s hard to believe, the lightly fried combination of lobster, shrimp, calamari and vegetables tastes even better than it looks. It just feels right starting our southern Italian dining experience with this divine dish. Fresh is an understatement – I’d be surprised if these guys weren’t playing in the ocean this morning… just saying.

We continued our tour of southern Italy with the Insalata di Tonna. This beautiful bowl of cucumber and lettuce hearts had the most amazing sesame-seed-crusted tuna lounging on top and a tangy, roasted bell pepper dressing drizzled across the tuna. This salad was plated with an artistic hand, indeed! I paused in appreciation – before cleaning the plate spotless. If you like crusted tuna, you will LOVE this dish.

The Pizzaiola di Spaghetti al Nero di Seppia was one of the most recommended dishes by our Good Eats readers and I soon found out why. The squid ink-infused spaghetti was tossed with fresh lobster meat and homemade pizzaiola. The squid ink made for a very eye-pleasing entrée, but did not change the flavor – playing a delightful trick on the mind. If you are looking for something delicious and unique, then look no further!

The Zuppa di Mare was a favorite with our group. This homemade stew featured a delightful combination of clams, mussels, calamari, red snapper, vegetables and fresh herbs swimming in a light white wine tomato broth. I know I’m getting a bit repetitive, but the seafood here is really fresh! I loved the red snapper especially, partly due to my fond childhood memories of fishing in the Gulf. This bowl of goodies vanished with lightning speed – every drop soaked up with delicious Italian bread.

The Costolette d’Agnello alla Griglia was my favorite entrée of the night and it paired beautifully with the Cannonau di Sardegna, Argiolas 2012. This wine from southern Saredenia, with its ripe berry flavor and just a hint of vanilla, was the perfect companion to this savory dish. The grilled lamb chops, served with fingerling potatoes and asparagus, enjoyed their own red wine reduction. The photography says it all, what do you think? Is THAT something you would be interested in?

Finally, it was time for the moment that always delivers a smile to this man’s face… dessert!

Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts, and this coffee-flavored Italian stallion from Sud Italia Ristorante took the cake (pun intended). With layer after layer of whipped mascarpone, it was a delight for the eye… as well as the taste buds.

The Chocolate-Dipped Cannoli was unlike any Cannoli I had ever tasted: fried pastry dipped in chocolate and served with fresh strawberries. I was told it was the perfect accent to a glass of wine enjoyed on the patio. I can confirm that this is true.

Sud Italia Ristorante is a wonderful dining experience. The friendly staff welcomes you with open arms, making you feel at home the minute you walk through the doors.

As you know, “I like vacation”. And this vacation to southern Italy was a trip filled with fresh and authentic cuisine, impressive grapes and decadent desserts. Shanon Scott and his family should be extremely proud of what they have created here. See you there soon!

Shanon68, Owner at Sud Italia Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2016

Mike,
It was a pleasure having you guys in and I am happy that you enjoyed everything. Have a great day and we look forward to seeing you back in very soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2016 via mobile

I have been to Sud Italia three time now, and every time it has been great. The pasta is fresh and fantastic, but the time I had the branzino was the biggest treat. It was fresh, in a perfect sauce and I was swooning. Love at first sight. Can't wait to go back.

Shanon68, Owner at Sud Italia Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2016

Michele,
It was great seeing you again and we look forward to having you back in very soon.