“Pleasant Surprise”

Monarch Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Monarch Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #155 of 8,243 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main St and Ewing St
Transit: Museum District stop on Houston Metrorail.
Description: Like everything at Hotel ZaZa, the dining room and nightlife space are designed to entice your every sense. Hotel Zaza dares you to lose yourself in the intoxicating aromas, layered flavors and unexpected touches of the “see and be scene” Monarch Restaurant & Lounge. So come, play, revel, and experience dining and entertainment in the Houston area that’s a world apart.
Santa Rosa, California
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were at the Museum of Fine Arts across the street so decided to go based on Yelp reviews. What a delightful surprise! Pizza was great for gluten-free. The vegetarian entree was almost too gorgeous to eat but it was delicious. Service was a little on the disorganized side. Would definitely go back if in the area and would order the vegetarian entree again just to see the loveliness they create on the plate!

Visited May 2013
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Monarch Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
shep77!

Thank you for the great review! I am pleased to read that you were pleasantly surprised by your visit to the Monarch! I am happy you enjoyed your vegetarian entree; Chef JJ whips up some delightful dishes! In regards to the less than stellar service you received, I sincerely apologize! I will reiterate to my team the importance of excellent service, so that such an occurrence does not arise again in the future!

We love ya!

Houston, TX
“food is good, service has never been stellar”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a nice restaurant with a great patio. The food has always been good, not great, but very enjoyable. The issues tend to be with the service. Usually wait for a host to appear, might be told there is no availibility on the patio when you can clearly see vacant tables outside, servers disappear for extended periods. Nothing terrible, but not anything that would make this a destination restaurant unless I was already staying at the hotel.

Visited February 2013
halo36!

Thank you for the feedback! I am pleased to read that you find the Monarch to be a nice restaurant! In regards to service, I apologize for the issue you encountered. I will speak with my staff immediately so that such an incident does not arise again in the future. We love ya!
Los Angeles, California, United States
“delicious meal for a very affordable price”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had lunch here during my stay, and since the hotel is celebrating their 10 year anniversary everything on the lunch menu was $10. I ordered a skinny mojito, which was very tasty and gave me a nice lunch time buzz. I ended up ordering the market fish which was oven baked sea bass over fingerling potatoes and asparagus. It was all soo delicious and I couldn't believe the meal was only $10! I finished my meal with an espresso, that came with sugar rock and biscotti. Very nice presentation of drinks and food, and equally delicious flavor. Highly recommend this restaurant, which is located with in Hotel ZaZa.

Visited April 2013
ektrusela!

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am pleased to read that you had a delightful lunch at the Monarch last month! Chef JJ definitely whips up some delish dishes. Come back soon for another savory experience at Monarch! We love ya!
Houston, Texas
“Delicious food, excellent service”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

In the evening, hubby and I had drinks and appetizers. Great service, great food, reasonable prices.
In the morning, hubby and I had breakfast with our kids. Again, great service, great food, reasonable prices.
We'll be back to the restaurant (but not stay at the hotel because of poor front desk service).

Visited February 2013
ConJr V!

Thank you for the excellent review! I am pleased to read that you and your family had a pleasant dining experience at the Monarch! The restaurant definitely whips up some tasty drinks and dishes. Come back soon for another delightful meal! We love ya!
Houston, Texas
“Mehhh”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've been to other ZaZa restaurants (Dallas' Dragonfly comes to mind)and they are always on trend with some new twists on old favorites. I've now tried Monarch 3 times and won't be back. First try, lunch. Nice patio overlooking the beautiful museum district and tasty drinks. Lunch menu was limited and service was poor. Second try, dinner. Though we had reservations, we were stuck in a table near the kitchen, asked to move to the patio and were told no. (We spotted several open places, but no means no.) Three different people celebrated birthdays and their desserts were delivered with lit sparklers. Seriously? This isn't a large place; try to imagine the smoke and the smell and then tell me if you're still hungry. Our waiter wasn't interested in our table at all. Final try, lunch again. Still nice view, still tasty drinks, still limited menu, and still horrible service. Won't be back.

• Visited March 2013
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Monarch Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
travelchick14,

Thank you for the review regarding your visit at the Monarch. I sincerely apologize for the less than stellar dining experiences you had at the restaurant. Such service is definitely not the standard. Please touch base with me when you have an opportunity, as I would like to gather more details concerning your experience.