“Convenient location; poorly trained staff all around”

Courtyard Houston by The Galleria
Ranked #21 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The stay was fine until check out. Had one night using a certificate and one at AAA rate, both nights included parking and breakfast. Upon checkout got a bill for parking but nothing else. I told him parking was included--he said he would credit me. I asked him about the second night, he said no charge for the entire stay. I said fine. Three days later i had a charge for the parking AND for one night stay.....one on my credit card on file with Marriott when I made the reservation and one on the card i gave them when i checked in. Called hotel six times before i ever got to someone who actually knew what to do---he credited the parking and moved the room charge to the right card. He blamed all the previous errors on lack of training and took responsibility for it--that is to his credit. What I don't understand is why they had ill trained staff on a busy holiday weekend.

I have more than 1,000 marriott nights and I will not be spending another one here. If he had wanted to really address the problem and my continued frustration and time I spent trying to get this straightened out, he would have credited me the one night's charge, too. That's what a Marriott corporate owned property would have done. Guess the franchisee is too cheap.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to do a review of your stay. I am glad we had a chance to talk and get your issues resolved. We really hope to see you back at our hotel in the future. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Loved our two day stay as a spot to explore Houston and environs.

Nice clean room
good breakfast downstairs
A couple of blocks from the Galleria.
Ample inside parking (extra charge)

Would stay again if in the Area.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natandjaan
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are glad to hear everything was great with your stay. We can't wait to have you back at our hotel soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

During my stay I mistakenly came upon a staff area not meant for guests and was surprised to see a big sign on the wall obviously created by staff members themselves that declared that they wanted to be known as the friendliest hotel anywhere. After a five night stay there I must admit that in all of my travels I have never encountered a hotel in which such a high proportion of the staff, at all levels, were so relentlessly and sincerely friendly and concerned about guest satisfaction.

The breakfast at this Courtyard is still on the buffet model, with a custom omelet station, and is better than at most full service Marriotts. Terry presides over these breakfasts with a special touch for each guest, making sure that everyone gets what they need. Ebony and Rebecca are at the front desk have a smile and kind words for everyone. Jessica is always working away as a very engaged assistant manager.

While at first glance the access to the hotel on a service road just off Sage Road may seem a bit unusual, the location is extremely convenient for the Galleria Mall and all of the surrounding businesses.

This hotel has come a long way and the staff really make a difference

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for the great review. Our hotel mission is to be the "cleanest and friendliest hotel." We live by this mission everyday. It would our pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Texan hospitality at its best. I've stayed at Courtyard before while on business around the world. They do what it says on the tin. My room was good - typical Courtyard.
And then there was that incident caused by this drunken English guy wreaking havoc in the corridors in the early hours, all I could hear was Andrew! Andrew! and a poor lady who didn't seem enjoy the attention given by this Andrew pom. I was told that he was celebrating some big deal he just made. But what an embarrassement of a person, I felt I was in Sydney's King's Cross back in the days.
Anyway, the bedding was fresh and was 100% refreshed every day - no nasty flower bedspreads. The walking distance to the Galleria meant that there were goodt outing options and convenient access to shops and services.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for review. We apologize for the loud guest in the early monring hours. We try to make sure all of our guests respect each other as much as possible. Glad to hear this incident did not go on for long periods of time. We are happy to have you back in the future! We can't wait to serve you again.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I was in Houston for a funeral recently - this was no pleasure trip. But the hotel staff made it easier- they were consistently friendly, helpful, and considerate. My room was contemporary and clean, the location felt safe (including the attached parking garage), breakfast was pleasant with good healthy choices, and the wireless worked well in my room. The bedding was fresh and was 100% refreshed every day - no nasty old bedspreads. The location next to the Galleria meant that there were good roads in/out and convenient access to shops and services. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SingaporeGirl915

Location is our number one attraction here at our hotel. It is very close to the galleria. However, our service and cleanliness of the hotel is probably the number one attraction in our guests' opinion. We love taking care of everyone coming to the galleria. We hope to see you again soon back at our hotel. Thank you

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I've stayed at this Courtyard many times while in Houston on business. They do a nice job. There could have been better staffing at check-in as I had to wait a few minutes for them to handle other guests. My room was good - typical Courtyard. I like the bar service in the evening which allowed me to have a night cap. I had breakfast with a colleague in the morning and we both enjoyed the hot breakfast buffet. I would recommend this hotel to business travelers.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Woodstock1968
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are happy to hear your stay and F&B experience was great. We apologize for the slow check-in experience. We will look into improving this portion of your stay. Thank you for letting us know and we look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

This hotel is walking distance to the galleria mall and have restaurants also walking distance. The hotel is a bit dated and the gym is quite small (3 treadmills). When I stayed in March 2014 the hotel rates were also quite pricey (about $300 per night) and the parking is limited but connect to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

We are happy to hear the location of our hotel is perfect for your shopping experience at the Galleria mall. It is a great feature of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us. It was our pleasure to serve you while you were here. We hope to see you again soon.