“A good place to base yourself for downtown Houston”

Courtyard Houston by The Galleria
Ranked #145 of 506 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jugon-les-Lacs, France
“A good place to base yourself for downtown Houston”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The room was clean, generously sized and the beds comfortable. The layout around the reception, bar and restaurant area was open and great for checking when friends might arrive to meet you. The business centre was fully automated and available 24/7, which was great. My only complaint about the business centre was that the computers were incredibly slow. However, they did work and they didn't crash, which is a lot more than can be said for most hotel business centers. The room, although well appointed, was a bit odd in that there was no mini-bar. I had put a credit card down, so I was a bit surprised at this - though not upset because it meant there were no chocoloate bars or cola to tempt me in the middle of the night. The choice of films was pretty good; I finally got to watch James Bond Skyfall in English. The hotel proved convenient, not just for downtown Houston, but also for the 'Energy Corridor', were I was holding meetings, and for a quick trip out of Houston to San Antonio, the Alamo, New Brunfells, and Gruene, Texas. The staff at the hotel were very polite, though not over polite as is sometimes the case in the US (okay, so I am a grumpy Scots Irishman). The buffet, though slightly smaller than I might have expected for this hotel, was nevertheless very good. One small complaint about the breakfast is that the poor 'egg maker' was overwhelmed and there was way too big a cue of people waiting for fried eggs. However, the coffee was served quickly and there were plenty of scrambled eggs available if you didn't want to wait for the eggs. I thought the spa was a bit on the bleak side, though not badly equiped. There was no Sauna, which is probably common for US hotels, but as a European I really need a Sauna after working out and before dipping in the pool, particularly an outdoor pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Houston by the Galleria during your recent trip to the US. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff accommodating. I'm sorry to hear that you found our business center computers slow and that the line for our chef was too long. We do take each of our guests comments very seriously and will be updating our computers this year! We also have scheduled a second chef during busier times. We look forward to having you back on your next trip to Houston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Benson, North Carolina
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great service.Courteous and friendly staff were attentive and responsive. Rooms were great, clean and quiet. On site amenities were nice and well staffed. Restaurant downstairs has great burgers, quesadillas and good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed it. Thank you for your positive feedback.
Buda, Texas
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here with a cheerleading group. Convenient location with access to the Galleria and many eating places. I had a suite and it was comfortable. They served our group a breakfast in a room for our group that was nice since we had a bunch of cheerleaders.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! It was such a pleasure hosting your group again this year! I'm so pelased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed here over the Christmas holidays with my husband and grown children in two rooms. The staff graciously placed us in two connecting rooms on the top floor. We had a wonderful view and enjoyed the location. Very much enjoyed the free internet. Paid parking, not so much. Staff was very friendly and the breakfast buffet was very nice.

Room Tip: A room on the north side gives a nice view of the Galleria area and tree-filled neighborhoods nearby...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Happy holidays! I'm so pleased to hear that you spent your holidays with us and enjoyed your stay so much! Come back and see us anytime!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for 17 nights so I feel I got to experience every aspect this hotel has to offer. It is a 15 story high rise in the Galleria area. The first 5 floors are a parking garage, while floors 6-15 are guest rooms. This hotel seems to venture off from normal Courtyards and I can only assume it is because of all the competition.

They offer free continental breakfast for Gold's and Platinum's. The options are greek yogurt, an assortment of cereals, a variety of muffins, fruits, and juices. If you want to upgrade to the hot breakfast you will have to pay full price. Everyday the hotel selects one guest from check-in to be the "marriott reward member of the day". You are awarded 500 points and you are entered into a monthly drawing to win 5000 points.

The front desk sells wine and beer which I found interesting. The marketplace also has fresh sandwhiches for sale that are made in the kitchen. This marketplace is probably one of the more item impressive marketplaces I have seen and all of my stays until now have been at full service Marriott's.

The rooms are spacious and clean and if you forget to remove the DND sign from your door, housekeeping is kind enough to slip a note under your door informing you of the option to go downstairs to get fresh towels.

This hotel gives out Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner which until now, all hotels I have stayed at have used bath and body works. This was another little nice surprise.

The restaurant here has very strange hours. They will close early if there is not enough business, which in itself is not too bad given the area. There are a ton of great restaurants and if you are in this area I wouldn't recommend eating at the hotel, but rather venturing less than 100 meters in front of the hotel to some top notch restaurants.

I have stayed in all three Marriott hotels in this area (JW , Marriott, and Courtyard) and this hotel and the JW are some of the closest hotels you can get to the Galleria mall.

Parking here is $16 a day which is a little steep compared to other hotels, but given the ease of parking it is worth it. Some of the other hotels share their parking garages with businesses and this is one of the hotels that doesn't, so it offers quick and easy entrance and exit by using your Courtyard parking pass which is swiped in the machine at exit and entrance.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Colby L
Thank you for letting us know about your time with us! We have greatly appreciated your business and really enjoyed your feedback!
Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard Houston by the Galleria on Halloween night. All of the staffers were incredibly friendly. The room was clean with a very cozy bed. Parking was easy in their parking garage. Great breakfast buffet with made to order eggs or omelets. My only complaint was the value ($225/night seemed a little high, but it is Houston after all).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BCMose
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Happy Holidays! Thank you for your positive feedback! I'm so pleased to hear that you found our hotel so enjoyable. We look forward to having you back again soon!
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I'm a frequent business traveler and I love this hotel. The staff is so warm - they made me feel so welcome. Rooms are clean and so roomy that I invited a local friend to come scrapbook with me. The desk has a lower portion that was perfect for laptop use and free Internet connection worked flawlessly. Breakfast rocks, especially the home fries! Had dinner at the bar - several healthy options. The little fridge came in handy. Minor request - would like Equal or Splenda in rooms but I improvised by grabbing some packets from the lobby coffee station. Really nice shampoo etc.

Within walking distance is a nice Japanese sushi restaurant. Pricey but worth it. Be prepared to circle the block while figuring out where the heck to go to check in.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it! It was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest. We hope that you come back and visit us again soon!