“Great hotel and location”

Courtyard Houston by The Galleria
Ranked #145 of 506 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas, United States
“Great hotel and location”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for 17 nights so I feel I got to experience every aspect this hotel has to offer. It is a 15 story high rise in the Galleria area. The first 5 floors are a parking garage, while floors 6-15 are guest rooms. This hotel seems to venture off from normal Courtyards and I can only assume it is because of all the competition.

They offer free continental breakfast for Gold's and Platinum's. The options are greek yogurt, an assortment of cereals, a variety of muffins, fruits, and juices. If you want to upgrade to the hot breakfast you will have to pay full price. Everyday the hotel selects one guest from check-in to be the "marriott reward member of the day". You are awarded 500 points and you are entered into a monthly drawing to win 5000 points.

The front desk sells wine and beer which I found interesting. The marketplace also has fresh sandwhiches for sale that are made in the kitchen. This marketplace is probably one of the more item impressive marketplaces I have seen and all of my stays until now have been at full service Marriott's.

The rooms are spacious and clean and if you forget to remove the DND sign from your door, housekeeping is kind enough to slip a note under your door informing you of the option to go downstairs to get fresh towels.

This hotel gives out Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner which until now, all hotels I have stayed at have used bath and body works. This was another little nice surprise.

The restaurant here has very strange hours. They will close early if there is not enough business, which in itself is not too bad given the area. There are a ton of great restaurants and if you are in this area I wouldn't recommend eating at the hotel, but rather venturing less than 100 meters in front of the hotel to some top notch restaurants.

I have stayed in all three Marriott hotels in this area (JW , Marriott, and Courtyard) and this hotel and the JW are some of the closest hotels you can get to the Galleria mall.

Parking here is $16 a day which is a little steep compared to other hotels, but given the ease of parking it is worth it. Some of the other hotels share their parking garages with businesses and this is one of the hotels that doesn't, so it offers quick and easy entrance and exit by using your Courtyard parking pass which is swiped in the machine at exit and entrance.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Colby L
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your time with us! We have greatly appreciated your business and really enjoyed your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard Houston by the Galleria on Halloween night. All of the staffers were incredibly friendly. The room was clean with a very cozy bed. Parking was easy in their parking garage. Great breakfast buffet with made to order eggs or omelets. My only complaint was the value ($225/night seemed a little high, but it is Houston after all).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BCMose
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Happy Holidays! Thank you for your positive feedback! I'm so pleased to hear that you found our hotel so enjoyable. We look forward to having you back again soon!
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I'm a frequent business traveler and I love this hotel. The staff is so warm - they made me feel so welcome. Rooms are clean and so roomy that I invited a local friend to come scrapbook with me. The desk has a lower portion that was perfect for laptop use and free Internet connection worked flawlessly. Breakfast rocks, especially the home fries! Had dinner at the bar - several healthy options. The little fridge came in handy. Minor request - would like Equal or Splenda in rooms but I improvised by grabbing some packets from the lobby coffee station. Really nice shampoo etc.

Within walking distance is a nice Japanese sushi restaurant. Pricey but worth it. Be prepared to circle the block while figuring out where the heck to go to check in.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it! It was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest. We hope that you come back and visit us again soon!
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We missed the turn in to the Courtyard. It is not actually on Sage Rd. You turn in at the Homewood Suites and go down the alley and there it is. The staff is outstanding. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable with great pillows. The breakfast buffet is one of the best we have had anywhere. Loved the omelets, and the fruit choice is more than most places. We stayed there using a Living Social voucher which included parking and breakfast. They do charge for breakfast (full $12.95) which is worth it. The parking is $16 a day which I think is very high.
We planned on having a light dinner there, and missed the fact that the restaurant is only open Mon – Thur evening. Thanks to the pantry we had a turkey and Swiss sandwich ($5), chips, and trail mix. Chocolate chip cookies provided by the hotel made for a nice treat. They only carry Pepsi soft drinks (I like caffeine free coke) which was a disappointment (not even Dr. Pepper). They also have bottled water, wine, beer, and lots of snacks.
I would highly recommend this place if I did not need an accessible room. There was a raised toilet but no grab bars which I need. The towel rack works if you grab the bar not the end. I pulled it off the wall. Maintenance quickly fixed it and even put the towels neatly back. The bathtub has a grab bar at the front and at the back, but not in between. The tub was extremely slippery. There are no luggage racks or places to put your luggage.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to find our hotel. For future reference we do have accessible rooms with roll in showers and additional bars near the toilet. If you do not need a roll in shower, we also have mats for the bottom the tub if you find it too slippery. Although luggage racks are not something we supply in every room, we do have them availble upon request. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!
Concord, NC
Reviewed November 6, 2012

15 story hotel between just off Sage. Easy walking to the main mall and several restaurants. Excellent check-in staff. Parking is $16 in the garage that is easy to access. Average Courtyard gym and a larger pool area than most Courtyards (bigger hotel than most Courtyards). Got the executive double queen room with the extra space. Very comfy and extra large shower. The executive rooms are closest to the elevators and ice machine (pro's and con's). We stayed on a Friday and a Sunday night. Tyrone Johnson checked us in on Sunday - excellent representative for what Marriott customer service is all about. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Executive double queen rooms are close to elevator and ice machine.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tracy G, Director of Sales at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for your kind comments! On behalf of the entire staff, we look forward to having you back!
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived late to find out our rooms had been dropped even after i had called to let themn know we would be arriving after midnight. The night person couldnt tell me how this happened she did get us 2 rooms 5 floors appart .Oh well at least we got to clean up and get changed. Then we met Daffney that morning and thisngs changed for the better.Not only did Daffney get us free breakfast she had already gotten the cleaning crew to start getting 2 queen rooms side by side ready for us and she told us how sorry for the inconvieniance she was and that if we would leave all our stuff in one room she would have it all put in our room later. And sure neough when we arrived back at the hotel later that day all our stuff was neatly put in our new rooms!!!!!!! Again way to go daffney and marriot. You need more people like Daffney!!!!! Oh and the rooms where very clean and the breakfast was amazing and location close to galleria.

thanks

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted to hear about Daffeny and how she was able to accomodate you all during your stay. Please come visit us again in the future!
New York, NY
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I come to Houston often and usually stay near the medical center. I decided to switch it up this time after some recommendations from Houston colleagues. While this is a convenient location...its a bit like a strip mall. The restaurants around it are okay and the Galleria is fun (if you like malls). Overall, I think I'll stay near the medical center which has a much more "downtown" feel. On the plus side, the staff here were extremely nice and accomodating and the rooms were clean and maintained. I did find the beds a bit too squishy, but I think that may just be my pickiness.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sharagerber, Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that you didnt love our area but pleased you found the location convenient, hotel clean, and staff friendly. If you decide to give us another try, please let me know as I'm sure we have a restaurant that you will enjoy.