“Loved it inspite of big conference”
Review of Hotel ZaZa Houston

Hotel ZaZa Houston
Ranked #5 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Katy TX
“Loved it inspite of big conference”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I just finished my 10th stay at Hotel ZaZa! Best one yet! The hotel was extremely busy with some sort of conference going. That was so cool! They had a big party at the pool and invited all the guests then had a singer/piano player on Monday night. It was awesome! The staff could not have been nicer even though it was obvious the conference had some attendees that were over the top rude! I will be back in a couple of weeks for stay number 11! Great job, ZaZa!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Nice hotel, in a good location, with a hip vibe and great service. The dramatic dark color schemes and quirky decor (e.g. picture of screaming spider monkey hanging behind toilet) are a bit much - esp. for a business trip with colleagues, but overall the hotel was nice and I'd consider staying there again

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
houston
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This is a hotel with wonderful potential. Its been renovated beautifully. The food is fabulous!! The Terrace is a lovely restaurant!! The place is lovely but for some reason they allow trashy young people to come in and use the pool for the day that just walk in off the street. They bring in a beach bag and get very drunk and begin acting sexuallly inappropriately.
We had this experience last year and were told they had stopped the "pool pass" so we came again only to find the same situation only worse. The pool crowd stagger out of the hotel and high five the attendants and chat with them like they know them. The hotel staff seem to know them too. They spill drinks and leave cigarette butts out all around the pool. Since they come through the hotel it affects everything. We had someone have a loud party below us in a ppol cabana and kept us awake all evening. The hotel put a stop to it. We complained again and were told they would look into it. I would not take my children there. Its so lovely that if you speak to the hotel about this issue and ask they guarantee they have addressed this problem once and for all you may be ok. Its probably ok in the winter when the pool is closed but we have not stayed there in the winter. They have definitely attracted a lower class element though through this unfortunate pool pass policy and the hotel staff are all frriends with these people.

Colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I hated this hotel. Simply put, it is a phony chic venue for a bachelor/bachelorette party attended by late 20-somethings who falsely believe they have "made it" because they are staying at the Hotel Zaza. While you can take the girl or boy out of the sorority or fraternity, you cannot take the sorority or fraternity out of the girl or boy. My wife renamed this hotel "Delta Kappa Zaza."

Allow me to sum up my stay with the following observations.

1. After my wife and I arrived, we decided to check out the pool area and have a drink. The very tiny pool was surrounded by a bunch of said 20-somethings with overlarge sunglasses and vaguely Asian-inspired tattoos. We sat down by the bar, yet the cocktail waitress did not bother to serve us for 10 minutes. Eventually, we obtained two glasses of red wine that were literally over 100 degrees. We rejected them, but the waitress seemed surprised. I think the usual clientele at the Hotel Zaza will simply drink anything that contains alcohol.

2. So we went to the bar area at the Monarch Restaurant downstairs to obtain a decent glass of wine that was not piping hot. First of all, the wine list was terrible, but we ordered two glasses of a wine that should have worked. Regrettably, the wine had obviously come from a bottle that had been opened quite some time ago. Inexcusable for wine that costs $20/glass, and the inexperienced waitress seemed shocked that wine could go bad.

3. After we sat down in the bar with glasses of wine from a new bottle, a host named "Sebastian" started asking various parties in the bar area (including my wife and me) to move to different locations because he wanted to "make effective use" of the bar space and because a VIP had allegedly reserved a certain area of the bar. This seemed kind of unlikely at 7 PM. Regardless, he was completely obnoxious and unapologetic. I also note that the bar was giving out gummy finger rings with flashing lights.

4. The hotel's walls are littered with pointless fashion photography spreads (perhaps they appeal to the bachelorette party crowd) and black and white portraits of celebrities ranging from Mikhail Gorbachev to Paul Rubens, neither of whom are likely identifiable by the typical clientele of the hotel.

5. Our room (a fairly large suite) had a great view of Houston, but it was in need of attention. The drain in the shower was clogged, there was only one robe, and the bedding was a bit stained and frayed.

6. During checkout, a twentysomething dude in the lobby was speaking way too loudly to his friends about how excited he was to hit the Hotel Zaza's pool. He bragged about his "banana hammock" and "manscaping" to all within earshot. What a gem!

The best thing (or perhaps, only good thing) about this hotel is its location. My wife and I did have a great morning run around Hermann Park and Houston's museum district.

My recommendation is to stay the heck away from this place.

3 Thank jaybear
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I have to say, the location of this hotel is great! And the sheets are great...but that's about it.
The pool was completely filled with bridge and tunnel types---and this, in HOUSTON. It seems like the management just wants to make a buck off of anyone who will come through the door.
My husband was freaked out that there was a cop (albeit an off duty HPD cop) at the pool at 3pm. Plenty of drunk, half nude college types--so if that's your bag, then go for it!
The concierge seemed burned out. The hostess at the restaurant seemed like she was just waiting for her shift to end.
I do have to say that there were some really good employees at the front desk who were efficient and cheerful and helpful.
The hotel itself seems dinged up---like the high style + the rowdy crowd =hard to maintain. There were Lamborghinis and Ferrari's a plenty in the drive, but there were also hookers in the restaurant. They may have been guests of guests, but they were definitely being paid. And the chef who prepared the mac and cheese should be fired. If you stay here, definitely make plans to eat elsewhere--we ordered 3 apps and a bowl of mac and cheese that came very quickly and it was STILL cold!
Anyone over 30 with a brain should avoid this hotel on weekends. Not sure about during the week.

1 Thank happytravelleraustin
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Have stayed twice in the past month (my client's choice) w/at least 2 more stays coming up in the next month. Of all the hotels I've ever stayed in, this one has by far has the loudest in-room air conditioning system I've ever heard, at these are not the old fashioned under the window AC systems either! First room, the auto function on the AC worked, but the problem was that when it kicked back on it sounded like a car starting up right in the room-not conducsive to a good night's sleep. Auto function in the 2nd room on my 2nd stay didn't work, which meant it was either on or off & even when on, still extremely loud. Maybe a little less money on artwork & a little more on the basic hotel infrastructure would be money well spent?

Check-in for the first stay was a breeze-can't say the same about the 2nd thanks to 'Cat' @ the front desk. My client booked the rooms &, apparently, both rooms ended up in a single name-unfortunately, I was the first to arrive @ the hotel while my colleague, in who's name both rooms were, was still in the air. Cat was not the least bit interested in anything I had to say about the reservation, refused to speak w/my client when I got her on the phone & flatly refused to call or even speak w/Chris in her own reservations dept w/whom my client was on the other line attempting to resolve the issue. I understand things happen w/hotel reservations, but I've never seen a hotel employee as uninterested in rectifying the situation as Cat was-in fact, she seemed bent on making it worse. When I asked, after she finally deigned to check-me in, where my colleague's room was, as we were supposed to be in proximity to each other, she refused to tell me citing 'hotel policy', but assured me we were in proximity to each other. I guess if you consider being on 2 different floors 'proximity', then we were. Interestingly, after all this, when the bill was slipped under my door the morning of check-out, it was still in my colleague's name.

Rooms themselves vary greatly in size & decor, but the common issue I've found in both rooms I've had so far is that the pot lights in the bedroom & bathroom burn VERY hot-so I hot I do wonder whether they are safe. I've heard of 'over-sized furniture', but I think the desk chairs take the prize for the most over-sized in a hotel. While comfy for watching tv or reading, not so much for actually working at the desk. Tent card in the room w/the usual request to 'be green' & re-use towels, but in my 2nd bathroom, literally no place to hang them in order to do just that. Each room I've had thus far has had a large window in the shower itself facing either onto the pool area or a balcony-while most of the window is frosted, there are large decorative cut outs which allow for a clear view into the shower, especially 834 which faces directly onto another room's balcony. Some people might think this is 'trendy'-I just found it creepy. Bed was quite comfy, though I now bring my own pillow as the Zaza doesn't seem to have anything other than feather available. I also quite like the 3-way bedside & desk lighting in my 2nd room (first room needed 3-way bulbs in the lamps). TV line-up is quite limited & disappointing, but at least the internet is complimentary & worked quite well on both stays.

Restaurant is good but pricey, though Wednesday night is half-price menu night. My colleagues are especially fond of the brandy ices brought at the end of dinner each night. Menu is a bit limited, though the sliders & fries are quite yummy. The restaurant/bar gets pretty noisy in the evenings & the only alternative is the outdoor patio which can be uncomfortable depending on the weather but worse, allows smoking, so the choice is either the rowdy bar or a hot, humid, smoky patio-not my ideal place to have a relaxing dinner after having worked all day. Unbelievable number of very helpful staff in the valet area. Hotel shuttle drivers are also outstanding-it is worth noting that the hotel's complimentary 'shuttle' is not the typical mini-bus found in most hotels, but a fleet of SUV's & towncars complete w/drivers in suits & ties. BTW-if you or someone you know is a chocaholic, be sure to ask the shuttle drivers to take you to the Chocolate Bar in Rice Village (it's in their radius); definately worth the trip!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We didn't stay in the hotel. I work in the Medical Center in Houston, which is less than a mile away from Zaza. My wife and I aquired a coupled of coupons for free appitizers at the Monarch Restaurant in the Zaza hotel, so we decided to go on my lunch break. To start, the restaurant was beautiful, elegant, quiet, and very neat, clean, and trendy. We only wanted appitizers for lunch, and fully expected a hassle for that from the waiter. We were very wrong. We told the waiter up front that we had the coupons to make sure they were valid and would be accepted without any fine print limitations. We ordered the peperonni pizza and nachos appitizers. The pizza was huge, way big enough for a full meal for two. The nachos were barely vissible from the meat, cheese, and sauses that covered them. The food, even for just being appitizers, was amazing.
We discovered neither of us had cash for a tip, so I thought I would order a drink, which would be extra, and then pay and leave the tip on my credit card, After ordering two drinks, and finishing our meal, we were told that the coupons covered everything, not just the food. That was a change from experience at other restaurants that seem out to nickel and dime you. We finally were able to seek out change for a ten to leave a well deserved tip.
I should also mention that we needed changed for the parking meter. The bar didn't have any, so the bar tender sweetly went into her own purse to give us the change we needed. The service was incredible. To be fair, we were not guests at the hotel, so we can't comment on the service in general. But if the service in the restaurant was any indication, we will stay there very soon. Thanks Zaza, we went looking for a free lunch, and we actually got one.