“Comfortable ZaZa”

Ranked #6 of 515 Hotels in Houston
Calgary
“Comfortable ZaZa”
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Nice place. Very trendy interior design. Restaurant was very good with good ambience. The food was not typical Texas food (large in volume, but nothing exciting). The food was tastefully presented in reasonable portions which was very surprising for Texas. I was upgraded to a suite which was very nice and very comfortable. I'm not sure what the regular rooms look like, but I'm sure they are equally comfortable.
I was here on business, but would return and stay here if I was travelling for pleasure.

• Liked — Trendy decor.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Cleveland Tx
Reviewed January 16, 2009

It was cheaper than going directly to the hotel website. But I would tell them to check into the hotel further and if they are going for a specific reason to call first so they aren't dissappointed like I was.
Review Text: I was extrememly unsatisfied! It didn't live up to the website. There were pictures throughout the hotel and on the headboard, and in the room that were of women and men not dressed. In the lobby during check out the tv had a naked man on it. The website said turn down service and votive candles nightly which we never recieved. The website said pets welcome but there was a $100 non-refundable fee. (Glad I called first) The parking was over $20 a day and you had to park there or you would of gotten a ticket. (wasn't expecting) The room was too small for the price. I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone. I am not a complainner and normally do not leave bad reviews but I wanted everyone to know this is not the hotel to stay at!

• Liked — It was classy
  • Disliked — The nude people everywhere
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Truthspeaker2u
South Kensington, London
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I am staying in ZaZa Houston becauase last time I was in Houston I had dinner in the Monarch Restaurant in the Hotel. I remember being very impressed with the food at the restaurant and thinking the hotel was very funky and trendy.

Now that I am staying in one of the rooms I am sorry that I was so shallow!

My first room, 602, was so small you could barely walk around the bed. You could not sit in the chair at the desk- rather it was easier to sit on the bed at work at the the desk. The doorway into the bathroom was so small I could barely fit through it- please don't think I am some sort of giant- I am not. Its just the room that is of Lilliputian proportions!

The following day, after 4 conversations I managed to get my room changed to 319. This room is much bigger, but the bathroom is very, VERY small. To close the door you have to stand on the toilet... Simply rediculous.

The service is abysmal. Whilst at the front desk I asked that they change my restaurant reservation from 3 persons to 4. The response- call them yourself from your room!!!! No hotel of this purported quality should ever treat its paying guests in this fashion.

Getting through to room service, the restaurant or housekeeping is impossible on the internal phone system. No one answers the phone.

The restaurant used to be fantastic and I had booked a table for a business meeting. Now that part of the building is used for private functions and the main restaurant is part of the bar. Its noisy, cramped and has an exceptionally limited menu. I really cannot understand the merits of turning a good restaurant into what can best e described as 'bar food'.

I travel a lot and stay in a wide variety of hotels. Whilstthis hotel has the visual wow factor, the fact it gets the basics wrong makes it too painful to stay in. I will now have to find a different downtown hotel for my regular trips to Houston...

• Liked — The decor is fantastic and very novel
  • Disliked — It is not fit for purpose and the staff are poorly trained/rude
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
11 Thank Bon_Viveur1975
Katy, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I was a bit unsure what I would discover at the Hotel Zaza after reading some tripadvisor reviews; but I must say that the Hotel Zaza was amazing!

At every stop, we felt overly pampered by the staff. The valet parking team ran like a well-oiled machine. They were extremely quick, effecient and courteous. The front desk staff was extremely pleasant at check-in, check out and each time we approached them in between. And if we were just passing the desk, they always acknowledged our presence and wished us their best. EVERY staff memeber we passed in the hall (from maid staff, bell-boys, maintenence etc) always spoke to us and wished us a good day.

The most amazing service this hotel offers is it's courtesy drivers. We had a decked out Cadillac Escalade drive us wherever we wanted to go, and then we waited less than 10 minutes for the driver to come and get us once we called him after we were finished with our outing. And...the driver was so pleasant. He seemed to really enjoy driving us around!

Our room was a bit small, but was decorated beautifully and was extremely clean! The lobby was beautifu AND smelled perfectly acceptable. The bathrooms in the lobby have warm cloth towels to use after washing your hands! The bar is dark, with candlelight and the service was quick (once we got someone's attention). The breakfast was very good, (but very expensive!). The pool area is beautiful, and has separated private lounge areas with couch, chair and T.V. This was amazing after dark and alone with my love! The location is PERFECT for visiting many different venues in the museum district. A short, comfortable and beautiful walk!

All in all, I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Mainly the service! Not only would I stay there again if the need arose, I think I will make a point to return!!!

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Traveling-Taylors
New York City
Reviewed December 30, 2008

Houston's museum district is one of the nicest areas in the city to stay, and ZaZa couldn't be better situated less than a block away from Herman Park. Apart from the ghetto lighting in the lobby, I'm a fan of the outrageous decor. The bathrooms are spacious, and the basic rooms are pretty nice.

Sadly, the service sucks big time. First off: Don't tip! You'll regret your generosity once you see that room service comes with a hefty delivery charge and valet parking (which you are shamed into accepting) costs a whopping $21. When we arrived tired and anxious to get to bed after midnight on our first day, the clerk had to take down all of our information again because the system had "rolled over." We finally got settled, but the next day when we came back for a nap at 4pm, the room was not ready. The hotel boasts of its "Butler's Closet," which is a coffee and tea station on each level. Unfortunately, it's only available until 10 a.m., and there's no coffee in the room. Finally, at night, the ZaZa is a real party scene with revelers of all stripes lounging on the front steps and lobby.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rf976
new york city
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I stayed at the Zaza for work from Dec 2-5th. this place is likea haunted castle- its old and musty and even feels dirty.
I was given a handicapped room- which i didnt want or request- then moved to a suite- there were pictures of naked women on the walls (they were literally ripped out of magazines) and there was a glass shower in the middle of the room and in the bathroom, just a tub. the room service is gross and the business center has a broken printer.. the lobby looks a abandoned motel with a srtung up mannequin display.. so strange. i have no idea what the concept is- wont stay here again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank maddeline
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed November 23, 2008

I booked my fifth stay at this hotel thru Orbitz for a petite king. When I arrived I asked for an upgrade and they could not accomodate, no problem .. just let me pay for the upgrade and they said they couldn't do that either. Ok well I'll stay with my original reservation, not a big deal.

Here is my problem, this was a great hotel with very accomadating staff and great service. But it seems they have slipped...the lobby has a very funky smell, like garbage, I hated walking thru it. The butlers pantry for coffee each morning was not set up when I was leaving at 7:30 - 8:00 am, wondering when they think their business travelers are waking up? The room desk does not have an outlet for plugging in your laptop. The shower is tiny and no water pressure.

At the bar the bartender is great, but if you sit in the outside the waitresses are extremely slow, I think they are hired for looks and not skill.

Anyway, I would stay here if you can get a balcony rook with a king for under $200.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business