“Interesting Atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 500 Hotels in Houston
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Interesting Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

I was at the ZaZa for a business meeting and at first appearance it's not your ordinary business hotel. However, the service we received with our meeting was over the top! Very attentive staff. Food was diverse and tasty. Everything was kept well stocked. I was very pleased and impressed with the service by all of the staff. We did have to wait a bit for the shuttle to take us to dinner but, the ride was in a nice Denali equipped with Texas style antlers that were a real hoot!!! The restaurant recommended by the manager was perfect and provided us with a real Houston experience. The decor is unusual but all the photos etc. definitely warranted some exploring. Fitness center and spa were excellent and the pool area well appointed. Thank you ZaZa staff for making my rather quick and intense business trip fun.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Denise F!

Thank you for the awesome review! I am pleased to read that your business trip was enjoyable at Hotel ZaZa! The Z is a fantastic place to spend any kind of trip! I am glad you enjoyed the Magic Carpet Ride shuttle service & the longhorns!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

There are a lot of great things going for this hotel, but the negative was so bad, it made my stay at Zaza one of my most negative hotel experiences in recent years. The executive summary: Great rooms, great bed, great breakfast food, but poor staff and it is absolutely impossible to find transportation anywhere out of the hotel in a timely manner. Leaving the hotel was an unpleasant affair, with an unacceptable wait each time each time.

First the good: The hotel has a nice vibe to it. Not your boring decor that plagues typical hotels but rather a very lively and fun look and feel. The room was large, the bed and sleep quality was excellent, the internet was quicker than most hotel internet (including when you pay premium) and free, the toiletries are very nice (but not replenished). Breakfast was a pleasant surprise: nothing was greasy, the eggs were cooked in butter, the "American breakfast" came with perfectly steamed asparagus (nice surprise), food was really good. Finally they have a station with fresh brewed coffee and Numi tea placed at every floor to save a trip down to the lobby. If I was staying at the Zaza with a car, I might have even enjoyed my stay.

But, I did not have a car and hence this trip was a disaster:

First time we tried to leave for dinner, we were a party of 4, we went outside in the sweltering heat. There were 7 staff members (bell boys, valets, supervisor), but no concierge. They ignored us and only the 3rd person we asked said he could order a taxi for us. We waited for 10 minutes, no taxi came, so we asked when the taxi was expected "don't know", can you call them and ask "no, don't know". Did you call them "yes". "so where is the taxi", "don't know". We waited a total of 20 minutes, the staff were unhelpful, didn't care and eventually a taxi randomly drove by and said he was not answering a call, but rather happened by chance and if the hotel would have actually made a call, it would not have taken 20 minutes.

When I complained about this the next day at the reception and stressed that I have to be at the medical center for business and need to be able to travel. The receptionist said there was a free hotel car service (which the staff did not mention to us the day before) and we would need to wait a maximum of 15 minutes for this service. She also said the manager would get back to me to compensate me for my troubles and I should expect no more problems with transportation. A manager never got back to me and troubles continued.

The next morning we came down in a timely manner, aiming to go to the medical center with their car service. We were told there was a long 25 minute wait for the car! Far from the "at most 15 minutes" advertised the day before. All the staff did not seem to care, did not seem to want to make our stay comfortable and projected a constant "I don't care" attitude. Fortunately one of my colleagues had Uber and this time we had good luck with it.

When I came back, I found that neither my toiletries, nor my toilet paper were replenished (and I was given less than a full roll to begin with). I complained about this at the reception on my way out to dinner (with Uber again), but neiter the toiletries nor the empty toilet paper roll were replenished, even after I complained about it explicitly, thank god for tissue paper.

The second morning was even worse, we again needed to get to the medical center for a meeting. This time we were told a car could take us in 5-10 minutes, 10, 15, 20 minutes passed and went. Each time we were told "the shuttle is almost here, 5 more minutes". 40 minutes later!!!!! already late for our meeting with an entire room full of people waiting for us, I really started raising my voice and finally the "director of operations" came to talked to me. He had no apology, and did not see anything wrong with our situation "the shuttle is busy and if we estimated 5-10 minutes and were wrong, thats life" (not in those words, but that was his general gist and attitude towards us). In the end they ordered a taxi for us (and when they actually ordered one, it indeed came within minutes). It was very embarrassing to keep an entire room full of people waiting 25 minutes for us, as we waited over 40 minutes in the lobby for a ride.

If this is a business hotel, they need to make it their priority so that it is easy to get out of the hotel in a reliable and timely manner, we had serious trouble, wait and frustration every time. And their entire staff (except restaurant and room service, which were excellent) needs to change their attitude.

Nice room, nice bed, nice breakfast and all, I would not come back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank peerster
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
peerster,

Thank you for the speaking me regarding your recent experience at Hotel ZaZa. We dropped the ball, and I can assure you that your next stay with us with be almost mystical, sometimes whimsical, always memorable!

Please touch base with me when you are ready to return for your next visit, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya at ZaZa!

Ian H. Bush
Hotel Manager
Hotel ZaZa
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

I do not recommend this hotel for business travelers -- it's better suited for weddings, etc. The hotel is pretty isolated from "things". It's in the museum district, which is lovely. It's also near a huge park -- so if you're a walker or a runner, it's a good location.
Upon check in I asked the woman at the front desk if there was a coffee shop or restaurants nearby -- she said no -- but I could get coffee in the hotel restaurant. (she failed to mention that there is a coffee service on every floor).
I was there on business and were meeting for dinner at the hotel's restaurant. I asked if there was a "dress code" she said yes -- no jeans, shorts, or open toed shoes. (which turned out not to be true).
The décor is nice but forced. It's kind of a movie/tv theme that doesn't seem to fit Houston -- it's more LA or even Palm Springs.
I was on the 5th floor and the room was pretty small, but comfortable.
Nice toiletries though.
The cable package is HORRIBLE -- this is my pet peeve. If you're a high end hotel -- get a decent cable package. No Bravo, HGTV, Lifetime or Food Network. Honestly, it's basic cable, which doesn't cut it.
The restaurant is nice - especially if you sit "outside". The service was good and the food tasty -- nothing too imaganitive, but we had a nice meal.
It looks like I will be going to Houston on a regular basis -- I don't think I'll opt for the Zaza again. It's too busy trying to be hip to be comfortable. I think it caters to weddings and special occasions -- not business travelers.

kaj2600,

Thank you for communicating with me via private message regarding your recent experience at Hotel ZaZa. We are a popular destination for business travelers! I apologize for your unsatisfactory visit. Please rest assured that your next stay will be spectacular; I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival!

Please touch base with me when you are ready to return to the hotel! We love ya at ZaZa!

Ian Bush
Hotel Manager
Hotel ZaZa
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

this hotel was pricy but worth it. Its located in a great area of Houston close to the medical center the Reliant stadium the zoo and also the museum district. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were super nice the pool was great with a bar and plenty of places to lay out in the sun or chill in the shade. The bar was nice but expensive. The décor was nice and the staff was great. Room service food is the only thing I think should be better for the price it wasn't very good.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
tonyatom!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback. I am pleased to read that you had a delightful experience at Hotel ZaZa! Comfort is key at the Z. In regards to room service, I will investigate the issue!

Please touch base when you would like to z-scape back to ZaZa, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya!
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

The Hotel ZaZa Houston is a Fabulous Hotel! Friendly personal service, great bar with outstanding jazz singer, excellent food, great pool area with excellent service...best in class. Vic was dynamitic!

Mark M

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Mark M!

Thank you for the great review! I am pleased to read that you had a fantastic experience at Hotel ZaZa recently. The hotel is all about comfort & excellent service!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya at the Z!
Friendswood, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stayed at Hotel ZaZa for the One Direction concert. It was our first time staying there. The service is above and beyond. We were treated like VIP's. Upon check in we were upgraded to the Warwick Apartment. It was amazing!!! The minute we walked through the door, all of our jaws dropped. We will definitely go back to this amazing hotel. My only complaint is the fact that no one in the restaurant informed us that Dr. Pepper refills were not free. We were shocked when we got the bill and paid $21 for Dr. Pepper. Only 2 of our girls were drinking it. I think they each had 2 refills. The wait staff didn't ask us if they wanted a refill they just kept bringing them. Won't make that mistake again. Aside from the Dr. Pepper bill, everything else was perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Kristina H!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback. I am pleased to read that you had a great visit at Hotel ZaZa recently. Comfort & excellent service are key at the Z! I am happy you thoroughly enjoyed the upgrade to the Warwick Apartment! The suite is definitely spectacular.

In regards to the Dr. Pepper refills, I apologize for the miscommunication! I will have a word with my team regarding your experience so that such an occurrence does not arise again in the future.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

From the moment we arrived, the Hotel ZaZa's staff made certain everything for our stay was perfect. The Houston We Have A Problem Suite was an out-of-this-world experience. The cocktails at the Monarch bar were amazing and the room service did not disappoint. What a great way to celebrate a special occasion! #WeLoveYa

Room Tip: The Houston We Have A Problem suite is at the end of the hall on the 11th floor and super quiet. Fro...