“Great Fun with Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel ZaZa Houston

Hotel ZaZa Houston
Ranked #5 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Great Fun with Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We checked into this hotel right at 4 PM to find out that they did not have our room ready. However, the front desk immediately offered us complimentary drinks at the hotel bar while we waited. We never made it the bar because the concierge offered us champagne and cookies in the lobby when we gave them our luggage and 10 minutes later we had our room. The room was great and the bed very comfortable. The pillows on the bed were so awesome that we requested the information on the manufacturer. All of our dealings with staff, including front desk, room service and valet was very professional and friendly. I would recommend this hotel without a second thought.

Room Tip: It was definitely worth waiting for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kcandedgardo
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
kcandedgardo!

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent Hotel ZaZa experience! I am happy to read that you had a wonderful time at the hotel. The beds are definitely comfy!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my staff whip up a signature experience for you! We love ya!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our one year anniversary with ZAZA after hearing so many wonderful things about the hotel. We were completely amazed with the level of service we received from the moment we pulled up till we left. The front desk service was especially phenomenal. Our room was upgraded since we were celebrating our 1 year anniversary by a young lady who’s name started with a Z. We were also given a voucher to use at the bar while we waited for our room to be set up with roses, chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The hotel staff was great and didn’t mind going above and beyond for our requests. I will definitely stay at ZAZA when I’m in Houston. Thanks for the amazing experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Joel J!

Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent visit at Hotel ZaZa! I am happy to read that you and your wife had a fantastic one-year anniversary celebration at the Za. I will definitely commend Zalika for providing superb service to you during your stay at hotel!

Please touch base when you would like to z-scape back to ZaZa, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya!
Nederland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I were on our one year anniversary. We of course brought our little one with us. I like to personally thank Mary (front desk) for being very helpful and providing us with an amazing upgrade to our room. I must say, if you ever get the chance to stay in the Black Label Penthouse, I highly recommend it. Our stay was like home away from home. We had such an amazing experience here from the front desk, bellman, to room service and the rest of the staff. They all made us feel like royalty. The only issue we had was the water pressure and temperature was not working due to some unforeseen event. They however compensated us with discounts to our stay and room service which definitely made up for it. I highly recommend ZaZa of Houston and will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Tony N!

Thank you for the great feedback! I am pleased to read that you had a wonderful first year anniversary celebration with your wife at Hotel ZaZa! The Black Label Magnificent Seven Suite is definitely a delightful space. In regards to service, I will definitely commend Mary for providing superb service to you during your visit at the hotel!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I'd say if you are in the 20-35 years old age range, have no children in tow, and are looking for an alcohol-laden party-type weekend with your significant other, this would be an interesting and bearable choice. It is funky, sophisticated, hip and interesting. The poolside, when we were there over summer, was packed with party-going happy people. Not a kid-friendly pool (no shallow end, and crowded with a posing, smoking crowd). The lobby and rooms are decked out in a kind of W Hotel type funky modern-museum meets NY dance club style hip-ness. They have tried to make this into a family-friendly place by introducing candy and little toy-gifts at the front desk but this really doesn't mask the obvious target segment for this hotel. The room we booked was OK- not the cleanest, and we had a disgustingly dirty bathrobe hanging in the closet and damp-ish carpets, dark, unfurnished corners and no bath-tub .... Getting your car out of valet is probably the worst experience ever- it takes forever as the car has to be parked very far away. Call down early to get your car.

We stayed only a weekend and had fun looking at the museums around and it was an interesting experience.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room over-looking the pool if you are planning to get any sleep at all.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Globaltattler,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit at Hotel ZaZa. In regards to your comments about the target group at ZaZa, the hotel caters to families, business groups & individual travelers. We are a hot spot for wedding receptions and other special events, so I can understand how you may feel as though the hotel is a fantastic place to party.

As for your room, I apologize for the cleanliness issue you encountered. I will definitely have a word with my housekeeping team so that such an issue does not arise again in the future.

The valet crew members inform guests to call fifteen minutes in advance for the retrieval of their vehicles. Because of events throughout the day, the valet team is on the go parking and retrieving cars constantly. The cars are parked right across the street from the hotel; not far at all.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments. Stay ZaZa!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was traveling to Houston with my wife for her birthday. I found this hotel online and decided to give it a try, the best decision I could have ever made. I started with a phone call to the concierge named Justin who assisted me with everything from a limo ride from the airport to flowers, balloons, candles and a complimentary birtday cake for my wife.
We arrived early and Zalika at the front desk along with the head concierge Rida were very friendly and helpful. Not only did they have the room ready, we could not believe the amazing job they did in decorating the room. Rida checked everyday to see if there was anything else he could do to enhance our stay. He also hand delivered a birthday gift from the hotel which was unexpected and greatly appreciated.
The hotel staff by far were the best of any hotel we have stayed from the bellman Shane to the complimentary shuttle drivers Sammie and Ash. Also Carlos who made sure everyday that we had a ride to wherever we needed to go to Mamaduke who had water waiting for us after our morning run and who also greeting us with a big smile everyday. Now there is no way I could leave out Trevor and Lee who did everthing they could to insure that our stay was a memorable one, they suceeded. (Thx 4 the bbq) lol
Thank you hotel ZaZa for your attention to detail and great customer service. You and your staff should be commended on how you take care of your guests!!!! See you soon
Washington, DC

• Stayed November 2013
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
brian518!

Thank you for the great feedback! I am pleased to read that you and your wife had a lovely time at Hotel ZaZa recently. The Z staff members are definitely stellar! I will make a point to commend Justin, Zalika, Rida, Carlos, Sammie & Ash for providing superb service to you during your stay at the hotel.

San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I’ve stayed at ZaZa twice now and have had both good and bad experiences.

First time it was terrific, completely met my expectations for the room and service and I was quite happy. Great boutique hotel convenient to Rice, and I looked forward to my next return visit.

Second time it was a totally different story. I reserved a king room and when we arrived that night they insisted that I had reserved a queen. They then proceeded to give us a queen in one of the tiniest most bizarre hotel rooms I’ve ever seen in a regular hotel – it apparently was a theme room and supposed to be like a ship’s cabin – all I know is that it was so small that the bed was pushed up against a wall and was completely dysfunctional for a couple. We headed back down to the front desk and eventually managed to get moved into a normal queen room.

The next morning when we complained, they looked at the computer records and determined that I had in fact booked a king but someone at the desk had changed the reservation – presumably to cover their tracks after giving our room to someone else. I wouldn’t have had a problem if they had just admitted that they oversold – it happens, I get that – but I hated that they had tried to make it my fault.

I did get a note from a manager afterwards apologizing and a discount on the room rate. I'll probably stay there again, but if I do I plan to call the front desk to reconfirm the reservation and get it flagged so that someone doesn’t try to pull the same stunt again.

Room Tip: Avoid the pool if you want a quiet room.
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
K J!

Thank you for the feedback regarding your summer visit at Hotel ZaZa. I apologize for the less than stellar experience with your hotel room! I will make sure such an incident does not occur again in the future.

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team create a signature experience for you. We love ya!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Hotel ZaZa is a great place in the middle of the clogged freeways of Houston. It is quiet and you feel like (or at least I do) a queen when there. The staff is extremely professional, service oriented and remember your name if you are a repeat customer. Love, love, love the concept rooms--if you can make a reservation for one, it's definitely worth the spend. On every floor there is coffee and tea available in the morning and they encourage you to wear your ZaZa slippers and robe when going out to the hallway to get it--although I've never seen anyone do so, but it's fun and whimsical.

Food is good in the restaurant (Monarch), the gym has all you need and it overlooks the fantastic pool area. Great place to stay and in a great neighborhood--views of the fountains at night are beautiful. ZaZa staff and management know what they are doing--from large banquets to individual guests. Can't wait for ZaZa in Austin!

Room Tip: Any of the concept suites on 11 or Magnificent Seven on 12--live like a king or queen for a night!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
CeeVeeTX!

Thank you for the great feedback! I am pleased to read that you had a wonderful visit at Hotel ZaZa recently! The concept suites are definitely awesome. I am happy you enjoyed the Butler's Pantry coffee & tea service as well.

In regards to the Monarch, I am happy you enjoyed the food! The restaurant definitely serves delish food & drinks.