“Stay away from the Zaza”

Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District
Ranked #6 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 8, 2008

This hotel is very poorly run. Everything from check in to check out was a hassle. I had no help getting my bags up to my room. My room had a broken window in it and the pool was so filthy it was disgusting. By filthy I mean the pool had cigarette butts, cans, old newspapers, and other trash in it. On the third day of my stay a housekeeper let herself into my room without knocking while I was getting dressed and then claimed she thought I was gone for the day. The promotional pamphlet inside my hotel room claims the Zaza is in the top ten for business travelers but the desk in my room had no plug available. Very hard to be a business traveler with no laptop or cell phone charged. I tried to buy a t-shirt in the hotel gift shop and even the girl working there was too busy on a pesonal phone call to help me find my size. Given the quality of the staff, I absolutely believe the story from the girls earlier who left a review. I had a hard time even getting in touch with a manager to talk to about my stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank txhorn22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed July 28, 2008

Our experience at ZaZa was great. The place is the refurbished Warwick hotel, enjoying an excellent location near several major museums and the medical center. The staff was friendly and attentive. We had a suite which, while not cheap, was good for the price. In other cities a suite with this much room and furnishing would have been much more expensive. It was clean and in good condition, although the couch bothered my wife and mine's allergies (we're allergic to dogs and the hotel does allow pets though they charge a fee for cleanup after they leave).
We brought 2 small children and enjoyed ourselves even though the hotel appears to cater to a more adult clientelle. The pool area was excellent but we were there before mid-morning when it became swamped with adult guests. It might be a different place at different times of day. I had a deep tissue massage in the spa which was great but did cost more than it would have in other spas. The spa itself is beautifully decorated and was heavily booked with guests so be sure to reserve in advance if it's important to your stay. Some free amenities and treats in the room were appreciated given the overall cost of the place, giving a welcome feel. The food in the hotel is excellent. We're looking forward to going back soon but I don't recommend this place to anyone who's trying to travel on a tight budget.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel ZaZa in Houston while attending the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference last week and could not have been happier. The staff were great and the hotel ambience was very chilled out, fantastic music in the lobby and by the pool in the afternoons. When I arrived there were greeters in the lobby with "zazatinis" tiny shot glasses of zaza martinis. The restaurant Monarch within the hotel is not to be missed. Superb service and wonderful food.

The room itself had a large flat screen tv and free wired internet access, a great comfy robe and Molton Brown amenities in the bathroom. The special touches in the rooms, like the turndown service with a quote of the day and funky gift (I got pez dispensers and chocolate covered sunflower seeds), and with a small votive candle left in the room were lovely and unexpected. The flower arrangements around the hotel were stunning. The black and white photos of celebrities and the subdued lighting contributed to the overall glamour.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Wickedgoodyoga
Reviewed June 12, 2008

After the Perfect wedding, my wife and I spent our first night as Husband and Wife in the Hotel ZaZa in Houston and it was the Perfect stay!!

From the minute we pulled up we were greeted with smiles and professional service. The comtempory atmosphere and stylish decor set the mood for an enchanted experience.

Our room, the fantastico suite, was immaculate: beautiful furniture, 2 gigantic flat screen TVs, plush bed linens, trendy art work, and attention to detail in every area.

Even though we flew out the next day for Jamaica, the Hotel ZaZa was the topic of conversation for my wife and I through out the trip......"wasn't the room awesome?"........"I am so glad we chose the ZaZa"........."I can't wait to go back some day"..........."I'll never forget our honeymoon night at the ZaZa".

Our one year anniversary is this next Monday, and we are going back to the ZaZa. We can't wait to spend several nights in the hotel that defines "EXCELLENCE". We whole-heartedly recommend it to everyone!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happycampertyler
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed at ZaZa while visiting Houston for four nights. It is a beautiful hotel located in a great area of Houston, the Museum District, with a large park, lovely neighborhoods and Rice Univ. as well as being near many restaurants and shopping. We arrived too early to check in but were able to sit by the beautiful 2nd floor pool patio until our room was ready. We had a deluxe petite queen, it was small but done perfectly. The bathroom is very beautiful and had Molton Brown products, there was a very large desk area with many office essentials provided. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens and a great throw at the bottom. The turn down service in the evening is a nice touch as is the coffee in the morning located near the elevators on each floor. The gym on the 2nd floor is nice a little small but had complimentary water and fruit available. The bar on the first floor was fun and had a fantastic patio. Valet parking is the only option, seems to be the norm in Houston, there is a $22 charge each day, but they were very quick and courteous about it. Over all a great hotel experience, classy and quirky!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SibbyGirl
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Hotel ZaZA has the worst customer service you will find in the hotel industry. I just recently went on an annual girls trip and we thought we would stay at a nice hotel. Four of the six of us had money stolen out of our wallets and we were treated as if we had stolen the money from our friends. They did absolutely nothing to help. You would expect more from a five star hotel, but we received absolutely nothing. They were incompetent and rude and I would not recommended this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank wannarun
ZaZaGM, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2008

Unfortunately, these ladies either lost or had money stolen from them. Following my investigation I found no one had entered their room who was not authorized to do so and those who entered were interviewed. I found no evidence that any staff member took the missing money. These ladies could have lost this money elsewhere or had it stolen when they were not in the hotel but we will never know for sure. At the end of the day they were still inconvenienced and lost money and I do not want them or anyone thinking we at Hotel ZaZa do not care. After several conversations with one of the group members and emails to the others I did offer compensation as a good will gesture. We can assume no liability but wanted to do right by our customers. Based on the review date, this review was likely written prior to my conversations with the guests and in all fairness should have been changed to show the hotel did act in good faith and good service. We will always try to do the right thing.

Reviewed May 26, 2008

I have to say that the atmosphere at this hotel is FUN, FUN, FUN!!
Yes, if you want quiet this might not be the place for you, but if you are looking to have a good time with your friends, they are top notch. The Fantastico suites are very big and spacious, the bathroom is a little on the small side and lacks counter space, but those are minor things.
The staff is amazing, they go out of their way to help you and make sure you are happy. Great place to stay for a bachelorette party, there was a wedding downstairs the night we were there and it looked BEAUTIFUL, too bad they chose a fish entree, it smelled awful..sorry.
The Monarch bar and lounge is very nice, it was quiet when we went but it was only 10, things get livelier as the night progresses. We still enjoyed our drink and the decor is pretty nice.
The pool is on the small side, I saw very little shade and it looked like the walk out suites had their own outdoor beds, so you can't use those. They have cabanas, but they were all taken and I'm not sure if you have to reserve those or maybe even pay for them. Some umbrellas would be a nice addition, Texas is not the place for full sun exposure. The atmosphere was great, they have a dj and the music is nice. Once again, if quiet is your thing, don't come here, but you don't have to be a Paris Hilton follower to appreciate a good time.
Room service is on time and very accomodating, the food is good but I would try to make it downstairs to eat so you can have the whole experience.
Location is key, we were minutes from Midtown and Downtown. I will definetaly stay here again, maybe next week just for fun.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends