“ZaZa Rocks” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 497 Hotels in Houston
Atlanta, Georgia
“ZaZa Rocks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stay number 2, was ready for a let down... and was only staying one night, on business. The staff at ZaZa anticipates your every need.. and then some. The pool was relaxing at the end of the day, and even got to play some pingpong.. which was unexpected and fun. The oreos in the lobby were dangerous. free oreos doesn't make one look good at the pool. Not let down here - Wished I could have hung out longer.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Gerard M!

Sorry to let you down about looking forward to being let down! We pride ourselves on our consistency so we won't ever be a let down no matter the number of visits! Please enroll in our ZIP program so your preferences can be recognized as well as earning free stays...after the 6th no let down visit!

Seriously, thanks for your business as well as your kind words!

All the best,

Matthew Nuss
Executive Vice President

PS
Thanks for sharing some of our quirky pics!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband recently won the battle of cancer so I wanted to celebrate his life by surprising him with one of the most romantic nights he would never forget. I knew Hotel ZaZa had extraordinary suites so I booked a room with them online. I wrote a brief comment letting the hotel know I was celebrating my husbands life by surprising him with this romantic night so if there was anything they could do to make it special I would greatly appreciate it. I get a call from Justin 2 nights before we check in letting me know he promises to make it a special night. All I have to say is, WOW! Simply, WOW! Not only did Justin beautifully and artistically place rose petals all over the suite, he also gave use champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and a delicious chocolate cake on the house. I had tears in my eyes when I saw how much ZaZa went above and beyond to make my husbands surprise the ultimate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jodimc2510
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Jodimc2510!

Thank you for the fantastic review! I am happy to read that your husband won his cancer battle! Woohoo! I am also glad that Justin provided you both with the ultimate ZaZa experience! I will definitely commend Mr. Sparks for his superb service.

Please touch base when you would like to z-scape back to ZaZa for another celebration or visit, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival! We love ya!!
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was one of the most beautiful properties I've stay at on business. I highly recommend the Monarch for breakfast and concierge services were above and beyond all expectations. If you are looking for a boutique hotel that is radiant, regal, and funky...this is the place to be!

1 Thank Sara J
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Sara J!

Thank you for the great review! I am pleased to read that you had a fantastic time at Hotel ZaZa recently! The Monarch is the perfect place to enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival! We love ya!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Excellent service. Staff was very welcoming and warming to all their guests! Front desk had everything that I forgot from home. The rooms were very clean, inviting, and just home away from home. The bed and bedding was very comfortable. Slept like a baby. Would stay there again without thinking twice. The only thing is we did get a discounted rate being that we were there for a wedding and the rooms were blocked, otherwise, I did find the regular rate is a little to steep for my wallet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JGraff77!

Thank you for the excellent review! I am happy you had a very enjoyable & comfortable visit at Hotel ZaZa recently. Weddings at ZaZa are always a fabulous affair!

Come on back to H-town soon and z-scape back to ZaZa! I will have my team create a signature Z experience for you!

We love ya!
AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I don't rate this hotel average. I rate it terrific in some categories and terrible in others. If the things that bothered me don't bother you, great. You'll love it. If you're like me, you might try another hotel, or lower your expectations.
The great is the service. With the exception of the valet, which was a bit of a nightmare, the hotel service was really excellent. There were quite a few problems that required service during my stay and the hotel staff was relentlessly helpful and cheerful. There were some other nice things about the hotel, including the location. If you need to be near the Museum of Fine Art, Rice University, Methodist Hospital, this is a perfect location. You can walk to any of them (the museum is literally across the street.)
The rooms are a large size and the common areas of the hotel are nice, including the restaurant and bar, the lobby, and the pool.
Now to the ugly: at a hotel like this, I want my room to be perfect because I'm paying for perfection. I was in a poolside room and it was really noisy, including piped music until 9 at night even though there was no one outside. One night, at 2 a.m. I had to go outside and ask a noisily romantic couple to get a room! I mean, the rooms are that close to the pool.
The room itself was bizarre and ugly. My room had a shower right in the middle of the room. If you want to use this shower, you have to close the drapes, making the room VERY dark. If you don't, you will be seen in the shower and wind up on YouTube.
Adding to the bizarre vibe was the decor, which included 1/2 a wagon wheel wrapped in raffia, a painting of two monkeys in wedding garb, holding a dog as a bouquet, the actual stuffed hind end of a deer, a paint by numbers seaside scene, oars, a rocking table made of boat parts, and on and on. It was hideous, the ugliest room I've ever seen. Also, the furniture and bed weren't that comfortable. I'd have traded all the "art" in the room for one cozy chair and a table not so covered with gewgaws so I could put down my briefcase on it.
The bed and pillows weren't the "Heavenly Bed" model that we have come to expect from four-star hotels. A little too hard on both counts.
The nitpicks that drive me nuts:
1. There is a tiny class shelf in the bathroom, and it was COVERED with items FOR SALE, so that I literally had to put my sundries either in the sink or on the floor. Plus I had to look at the soap before I opened it to see if there was a pricetag on it! Hotel designers: if you are putting only a narrow glass shelf in the bathroom, leave me room for my ziplock bag. Could I have moved them out of the bath? Sure. But if the guy who refills the minibar can't find them, I have a $48 charge on my business card and a lot of explaining to do to the bookkeeper.
2. If the safe is on a shelf in the closet that is 6 feet off the ground, there better be a chair I can move to get to it. Here, nothing moved except the trash can, so I stood on that.
Finally, the room service was just awful. A bad sandwich and cold fries for $20 is not what I expect from a hotel that touts its fabulous restaurant.
3. The valet service for the car is a lot of work. You can call down but there is no guaranty that your car will be ready when you get there. Apparently the parking is far away and there is no self-parking at all and no street parking, so prepare to pay a fortune for parking and tips. There is a hotel car but it's first come, first served so it won't get you to a meeting on time.
So there you have it. And although I was warned by the hotel management in an e-mail to bring all problems up with them so I could leave only excellent ratings here, that's just not TripAdvisor, dear, so deal with it.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay near the pool unless you plan to use the pool throughout your stay. It's way too noi...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BuffCrone
BuffCrone!

Thanks for the very detailed review! We would have loved to move you to a different room if you were not happy with the one you were given upon check-in. We have some quirky rooms around our pool that usually are a hit such as Love Shack (your room), Hard Times (jailhouse themed) or Ship's Captain (nautically inclined). A lot of people get a kick out of these rooms but obviously you did not.

All the best,

Matthew Nuss
Executive Vice President
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Fabulous spaces, great restaurant, and overall an excellent experience. This feels like a posh NYC hotel in the heart of Houston's museum district. The suites are fantastic, and the service is exceptional. The lobby is just beautiful, so if you want a special stay in Houston, this is the place for it.

MoonlightRainSO!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback! I am happy you find Hotel ZaZa to be the "Best in Houston"! The Z is definitely one of a kind in the Houston Museum District.

Please touch base when your travels return you to H-town! We love ya!
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Arrived with no booking and reception went out of their way to accomodate me. I was given a great room but warned I may have to move, but I was lucky to have the same room for all 4 nights. Very good nights sleep. Service was excellent. Location seemed a little remote, but with the free shuttle or car it made no difference. Pool area was fabulous. Aircon was very noisy and probably needs work. Carpets in common area a little tatty and I saw paper lying on the floor for more than 12 hours. Restaurantvwas great. Be warned, Huge portions!
Overall I think perhaps it is trying to be boutique but missing the point a little, but I will happily recommend it and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Craig S!

Thank you for the great feedback! I am pleased to read that you had a very pleasant four-night stay at Hotel ZaZa recently! The ZaZa Pool area is definitely a fabulous spot to unwind.

In regards to the A/C & carpet, I will touch base with my team immediately.

All in all, thank you again for the review, Craig. Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya!