“Love the decor!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 501 Hotels in Houston
texas
“Love the decor!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I went to the ZaZa for our anniversary. What a nice change from your
"typical" hotel decor!!! The shabby chic and elegant rooms made me feel like royalty!! Great location to the local sites!!! You gotta try it......you'll love it!

Room Tip: Choose a bigger room for a small upgrade price!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
kabryant!

Thank you for the great feedback! I am pleased to read that you and your husband had a fantastic anniversary celebration at Hotel ZaZa! We are definitely not a cookie cutter hotel; I am glad you enjoyed ZaZa's eclectic atmosphere!

Please touch base when your travels return you to H-town, as I would love to create a signature ZaZa experience for you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Irvine, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love staying at the ZaZa. The location is wonderful and I never need to worry about the room. It's always very clean and dependable with TV, internet, & refrigerator. Beds are heavenly. My daughter was at Rice for 4 years and I stayed there at least 15 times. If you want a bathtub, you'd better ask for a room with one. Most rooms have only showers.

Room Tip: Pool bungalows are great. They are lower level rooms and you have a balcony to sit on overlooking th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Mary B!

Thank you for the review. I am pleased to read that you love staying at the ZaZa! We definitely aim to provide guests with a luxurious experience. Whenever your travels return you to Houston, please touch base! I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have a child at Rice and for almost all of our visits to Houston we stay at Zaza. The style is a bit on the silly side, but the energy level is high and the hotel gets all the important things right: super comfy beds, lovely linens, plush bathrobes, and luxurious bathrooms. On every floor there is a station with tea and coffee in the morning, and every afternoon the hotel sets out iced tea and a plate of cookies (albeit boxed cookies) in the lobby. Breakfast outdoors on the porch of the Monarch restaurant is a great way to start the day. All of the rooms along the south side of the hotel look out over the medical center and the Main Street fountains. At night, when the fountains are illuminated, the view is one of the most glamorous in Houston.
All of the museums, Hermann Park with the zoo, golf course and science museum, Rice, and the medical center all are adjacent to Hotel Zaza. Light rail transportation to downtown runs right by the hotel.

In the plus/minus catergory, the valet parking and hotel lobby are often overrun with people who are attending functions at Zaza: wedding guests, bridesmaids carrying their dress bags, ladies who lunch carrying off the flowers after a luncheon, oil and gas execs or NRA members in town for a national convention. The downside to the high energy level is fighting your way through the crowds and occasionally having to wait to be seated for breakfast.

The only real minus I would chalk up against Zaza is their concierge staff. They are all terrible. We have asked for restaurant advice on almost every trip--where is the best local BBQ? can you recommend a good bistro or seafood restaurant? what is the best new restaurant in Houston? where is there a sports bar where we can watch the Bruins game tonight?--and each time we have found the concierge clueless, with only generic and obvious recommendations. Good thing there's Trip Advisor!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Ellen D!

Thank you for the feedback. I am pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoy the amenities and comforts of Hotel ZaZa! The Monarch is definitely the perfect way to start your day!

In regards to the concierge service you experienced, such service is definitely not the standard at the Za! I apologize! I would definitely like to wow you at your next visit to the Z. Please touch base when your travels return you to H-town, as I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

For Memorial Day, my fiance and I decided we wanted to get away, but didn't want the hassle and wasted time of driving or flying out of town. We decided to spend a long weekend at Hotel ZaZa in Houston.

The Hotel is decorated in an outrageously fanciful array of colors, rich fabrics and large photographs of famous people. It is a visual cornucopia of whimsical genius....truly, one of the most fun and beautifully decorated hotels I have ever been in. This is NOT your Mother's hotel. Definitely!

The rooms are extremely comfortable and quite roomy. Some of the higher priced suites are theme-decorated (go on-line to check these out...they are amazing and perfect for a special occasion where you really want to "WOW" your loved one!). But the regular rooms are very tastefully decorated, some with views of the pool, and some with balconies. They are quite lovely!

The hotel rooms are very quiet. I was amazed by this, because there were a LOT of little kids at the pool (and obviously staying at the hotel). I can't say I really liked this, as I was looking for more of an adult getaway, but the hotel was so great, and service by the pool so outstanding, I was willing to overlook the overabundance of little kids at the pool. The beds are large and exceptionally comfy. There are no bathtubs in the rooms (at least not the standard rooms)....but the showers and baths in general are quite nice. But no place to have a champagne bubble bath which was a bit of a disappointment.

There is coffee and tea service in the mornings on every floor which is wonderful and the coffee is very good. It's perfectly OK to wear one of their soft, cozy bathrobes down the hall to get your morning beverages...and they encourage you to do so with a sign in your room.

The pool side service was very good. In between our drink orders we were offered wonderful ice cold wash clothes (scented from the spa no doubt)....those were luxurious and a wonderful idea! They also passed around samples of some of the frozen concoctions they were selling at the bar, and also, a huge tray of (on the house) frozen ice cream bars and popsicles (now THAT was a pretty nice touch!).

The restaurant downstairs (The Monarch) was horribly understaffed and our service one of the days was beyond sub-par. We had 5 different people waiting on us, and when meeting some friends for brunch, half the group got their meal a full 30 minutes before the other half. This was totally unacceptable and beneath the quality of the otherwise very impressive hotel. We went again the next day, and it was pretty empty....food and service were very good. So maybe they were having an off day, but hey people, STAFF UP on holidays. This is not rocket science!

This hotel is pet friendly so you can bring along your furry friends with you should you so desire (and fido will be greeted at the hotel entrance with a big bowl of dog treat and fresh water which is a very nice touch!).

All in all, this is a great place to stay in Houston. The major museums are within walking distance (we say the Picasso exhibit during our stay and it was fantastic!). Golf and walking trails are close by at Memorial Herman Park.

Whether you are in town for business, to visit friends or just want a unique and very fun "staycation"....you can't do much better than Hotel ZaZa.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise, don't get a room on a lower floor looking out over the pool. T...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
MOWLUSA!

Thank you for the detailed review! I am pleased to read that you and your fiance had a wonderful stay at Hotel ZaZa over Memorial Day. Comfort is key at ZaZa! I am happy you enjoyed your cozy room. Check out one of our many Concept Suites on your next visit; they are all a delight to experience!

In regards to your experience at the Monarch, I sincerely apologize for the less than stellar service that you received. Definitely not the standard at ZaZa! I will make certain such an incident does not arise again in the future.

The Z staff would love to create a signature ZaZa experience for you in the future! We love ya!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

What an amazing experience! I spent a solo weekend at Zaza to celebrate my birthday, and from the moment I pulled up to the valet until the moment I left, I felt like royalty! They offered champagne in the lobby, and when I got up to my room there was wine on ice waiting for me. The staff was absolutely phenomenal, very attentive and always looking for ways to make your experience memorable. Damien the valet lead was wonderful! And thanks to the front desk staff for making sure my room had one of the best views in the hotel.

I loved the unique decor of the room, and having the mini-bar was super convenient! The bed and pillows were super comfortable, and I got some of the best sleep I've gotten in a while!

I also got a massage at the ZaSpa, and it was worth every penny. They do everything to make you comfortable from the time you walk in until you walk out. Definitely worth taking the time out of your stay for it.

All in all, it was a fantastic stay, and I can't wait to go back! I'm also excited to try out the one in Dallas.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FocusedJ
FocusedJ!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback! I am pleased to read that you had an amazing stay at Hotel ZaZa recently! Comfort is key at the Z. We want our guests to have an almost mystical experience! I am glad you had a great night of rest.

In regards to ZaSpa, I am happy your body treatment at the spa was thoroughly enjoyable! Please touch base when you would like to experience ZaZa Dallas, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival! We love ya!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was so, so disappointed in this hotel. My boyfriend lives outside the country and we will only get to see each other about 3 times per year for the next two years, so each time is very precious. Because he has paid so much money in coming to see me, I wanted to make his most recent visit extra special. Neither of us have much money, so we usually just stay at my house when he is here, but we both had always talked about splurging one day and getting a really nice hotel for a couple of nights.

My plan for his one-week visit a few weeks ago was to spend the first two nights at Hotel ZaZa so that we could not only experience a "luxurious" hotel, but also be walking distance from the museums and Hermann Park. The only reason I am giving them two stars instead of one is because the location was the highlight of Hotel ZaZa for both of us. Oh, and the one other positive is the bedding was comfortable.

Even so, this experience definitely had me crying on the first night. When I booked the hotel on Booking.com, I made a special request for the room to be romantic with a great view. I live in SW Houston and adore it, but beautiful views may be where it is lacking most. So I wondered, "Will we be seeing the light-filled skyline? Or the lovely fountains surrounding Hermann Park?" You can imagine my dismay when we walked in and our "beautiful view" was a parking garage. No skyline or fountains or trees...a parking garage. I can get that in SW Houston for a fraction of the cost.

As if that was not bad enough, I had read reviews about the staff making guests' stays extra special and romantic, like having chocolate-covered strawberries waiting or fresh flowers in the room upon arrival. Oh, and a refrigerator filled with snacks and drinks. Guess what we got? A bowl with fruit that appeared unwashed and only one of which I could eat. We were about to collapse from heat exhaustion when we first arrived and there was nothing at all in our refrigerator. Oddly enough, I had joined their ZIP club to get extra amenities, and the only reason I got the frustratingly unlikeable fruit bowl was because of that. Even in my special requests section of the ZIP club form, I reiterated my request for an extra romantic stay due to the little time I have with my boyfriend...Do they even read those, or do they just not care?

Another unhappy surprise for me: I do not have a functioning bathtub in my home (just a shower), so I was REALLY looking forward to soaking in a bubble bath at least once during my stay at this expensive, "luxury" hotel. Naturally, there was NO bathtub. Never, ever in my life had stayed at a hotel without a bathtub. It figures that the most expensive hotel I ever stayed at would be the one to not have a bathtub for a romantic stay.

At even the "cheap" hotels I've stayed in, there is some kind of breakfast included. The very "worst" breakfast at a hotel I had was just muffins and honey-buns, which were actually pretty good. Hotel ZaZa has absolutely no breakfast included in the ridiculous cost, and there is no coffee maker included in the room, so you have to get dressed just to go get some of the free coffee at the end of the hall (which, for us, was REALLY at the end of the hall). Also, I had planned on us having a romantic evening at their restaurant, but the menu was so limited that neither of us even wanted to go.

To top it all off, the TV was of terrible quality and appeared to be damaged. I am including a picture of that.

Lastly, I was not in love with the decor, unlike everyone else. I am an artist and definitely enjoy quirky and unusual styles, along with ornate decor of times past, but Hotel ZaZa's decor was...eh. A picture of Courtney Love did not impress me and actually annoyed my boyfriend, and was not really how I would have wanted to be greeted each time I entered my room. But maybe Hotel ZaZa lovers are more into the "heroin chic" thing.

After all the great reviews I had read for this place and the way they say that they "roll out the red carpet" for you, my boyfriend and I were actually going to see about eventually getting married at Hotel ZaZa if they "wowed" us during this visit...Needless to say, they didn't. As we were checking out, we did tell Jonathan (I believe that was his name) at the front desk about our dissatisfaction. While he was nice, the best he could do was give us a $50 voucher off an amenity during a future visit. Let's face it: Our visit was terrible and we have no reason to come back. A lot of people I know have talked about really wanting to visit Hotel ZaZa but are worried about the quality not matching the price, and I am glad I can at least inform them about my experience so that they do not waste their money.

Room Tip: If you do not have insane amounts of money to burn, do not come here. But if you are going to visit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear SherryTA,

I finally had time to reflect on your review and our subsequent emails. My apologies for the delay as I was traveling on business. Thanks for giving us a chance to dialogue and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I thank you for bringing the broken TV to our attention; we replaced it immediately. We should have noticed that with our daily cleaning and inspections. We have revisited our processes with housekeeping - always nice to have an extra set of eyes.

Along with the TV, you mentioned not liking the fact you did not have a bathtub in your room, did not want to pay for breakfast and expected it in the rate, did not like our butler pantries on each floor with freshly brewed coffees each morning and was expecting a coffee maker in your room, not liking the dinner menu, not liking the art and decor, not liking the view from your balcony and not liking that we did not get your notes stating you wanted a romantic weekend.

Rather than discuss each one of your points individually, I will leave it with we probably are not right for each other. We would have loved to hear from you during your stay to try and make things better before your departure. Jonathan does remember chatting with you at check out and he did offer a $50 food and beverage credit as well as noting we do have rooms with bath tubs. He also remarked that you did not seem as disappointed as you were in your review. Obviously we had a disconnect. Again, my apologies.

Matthew Nuss
Executive Vice President
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

From the moment you check in, the service was stellar and all about you. The staff goes out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. Makes going to Houston on business worth the trip! Make sure you sign up for their rewards program - definitely worth it. Great 'turn down treats' at night. Yummy!

Room Tip: There is a coffee station on each floor, no in-room coffee pot. Just check with the from desk for t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Meetingtravelgal!

Thank you for the excellent feedback! I am pleased that you had a fantastic overall experience at Hotel ZaZa recently! The ZIP program is definitely an awesome rewards program; I am glad you are reaping the benefits!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival! We love ya!