“Hotel ZaZa”

Ranked #5 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Hotel ZaZa”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Located conveniently in the museum district, this boutique hotel provides an alternative to the big chains. The staff are young and full of energy making this an ideal stay for either business or pleasure. I loved the pool area, the spa and the bar. My room wasn't that great, a bit tired and the air conditioning was noisy otherwise I'd have given a higher score. The restaurant was good and I enjoyed everything I had there. Try eating out in the conservatory providing its not too humid.

Room Tip: Try a suite. I hear they are ace.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
PijuDo!

Thank you for the review! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal at the Monarch! In regards to your room, I apologize for the less than stellar atmosphere. Definitely not the ZaZa standard!

Please touch base when you would like to z-scape back to ZaZa, as I would love to create a signature experience for you! We love ya!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I spent 2 days / 1night in Houston to attend Tristan and Isolde at the Opera House and visit museums and galleries.
I have a really good experience at Zaza Hotel. The location is absolutely perfect, close to all the main museums and the metro.
The check in was fast and efficient. The check is at 4pm but they gave me a room at 2pm, very nice. My bedroom [king + balcony] was absolutely perfect, spacious, clean with a wonderful view. Room service is very efficient and fast [dinner and breakfast].
A few negative points: because the hotel is "fancy" and host "fancy guests" reception desk staff has a kind of attitude, with a forced smile or simply very cold. Same with the valet staff: if you don't have a car they don't expect a tip from you, so they clearly won't help you. I was waiting for the hotel shuttle for almost 15mn - which never came - and no one was ready to assist me.
Also there is a very nice swimming pool. I went there on sunday morning [10am] but i had to leave soon after: a small group of "fancy guests" arrived, [after party or pre-brunch party] drinking, smoking and speaking loud. In addition there is speakers all around the pool, with a kind of techno house dance music. The level is not very loud but definitely not a quiet sunday morning ambiance.
Zaza offers good services but definitely should think more about relationship with costumers. The fancy attitude is not a sign of luxury. Simplicity is luxury.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank luzzien
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
luzzien!

Thank you for the feedback! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your first visit to Houston! The arts scene in H-town is definitely something worth experiencing! Hotel ZaZa is located in a lovely part of H-town's Museum District, and the metro is an excellent transporation option; however, if you are looking for a swanky, smooth ride through town...look no further! Hotel ZaZa's complimentary Magic Carpet Ride shuttle service provides guests with elite transporation within a five-mile radius of the hotel. The latter is quite a popular gem of ZaZa and is used on a first come, first serve basis only. Sorry for the delay that you encountered! The Z team makes a point to provide all guests with first-class service at the hotel as is evident by the quick check-in you received! We love ya at ZaZa!
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I got a room here for my wife and I for our anniversary because everyone said it was the place to go. I'll get to the two things I always make a point to talk about in any review of a hotel or B&B, the bed and the shower.

The bed was comfortable. Not the best bed I have every been on, but it was not anything I would ever complain about. The shower was 5 star all the way. The water came out as heavy as a water fall, and temperature was never an issue. So if those are two deal breakers, you are okay here.

The service was great. There was a party being really loud at 2 AM that woke us up, but we called to the front desk after giving them about 20 minutes to bring the volume down and the front desk was up there within 2 minutes tops. I also thought it was really cool how at turn down they put a rice crispy treat on your pillow instead of a cookie. My wife is the sweets aficionado, and she said it was pretty dry, but I still thought it was cool.

One big plus was that they had a shuttle service that would take you anywhere. You obviously need to tip the driver, but it is way more comfortable and convenient than taking a cab. Plus when we called to have them pick us up from dinner they were there within 15 minutes. Big points for that.

The negatives I would say were that you have to valet there overnight, and it costs $30 after tax. Plus because of where the hotel is there is constantly traffic and it can take about 10-15 minutes to get your car for you. Plus one of the guys working there was like a New York street hustler the way he grabbed my wife's bag out of her hand to walk it 10 feet to the car when we were leaving, of course expecting a tip for all the hard work. Please. Another negative was the bar. Everyone told us it was really great, but it was a dime a dozen hotel bar to me. Nothing to get excited about and overpriced drinks ($6 for a Fat Tire....whatever). The bartender was great, but the bar itself just wasn't anything special.

If you are trying to do a special getaway weekend I would recommend this place to anyone. It has it's pros and cons, but every place does. I do feel that they go out of there way to accommodate you, but I can't give anyone 5 stars unless they blow me away. Some places have definitely done that, but for whatever reason Hotel ZaZa just didn't.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MTSUDaff
MTSUDaff!

Thank you for the review. I am happy to read that your anniversary celebration at ZaZa was enjoyable! The showers and beds are definitely top notch at the Z!

In regards to the Magic Carpet Ride, I am pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary shuttle service! The Z team is happy to drive guests anywhere within a 5-mile radius of the hotel. As for the overnight parking fee, it is commensurate with other top tier hotels in Houston.

I am sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at the Monarch bar! The place is typically a very lively, eclectic place to enjoy a good ol' cocktail! Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival!
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My personal experience at the Hotel ZaZa was a nightmare. I was attending an evening celebration at the Hotel ZaZa. There had been multiple celebration events on the main floor that evening between 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm (est.). Upon leaving the event that I had attended. I could not find my valet ticket. I addressed the issue at the valet desk and the manager had asked me if I could identify my keys. After, identifying my car keys, the manager had told me to go outside and they will be bringing my car.
Just as I had proceeded to exit the lobby into the valet area, there was a security officer whom had asked me to step over to the left side of the entrance and he had stated that he would like to conduct a test (i.e., similar to what officers conduct when pulling over a drunk driver.).I had already started feeling embarrassed and for reasons that I had been profiled and I was the only one during that time that they had pulled to the side to interrogate. I had asked the security officer, where is this coming from? I had also stated that I am willing to co-operate but, I refuse to let him embarrass me in the front of the hotel where my colleagues/friends, and guest were waiting at the valet as well.
Security had asked me how many drinks did I have, and my response to the security officer was; are you serious? I had stated that there were many celebrations conducted at the hotel this simultaneously and all of them had included wine food and drinks. The security officer had stated that I could call a cab, ride or book a room at the Hotel ZaZa. However, I did explain that the hotel was completely booked for that night and after being embarrassed in front of guest/ friends, that I would refuse to walk-in and or stay at this establishment. The Security Officer had stated that I could get arrested for public intoxication even though I had been a guest one of these events. I had cooperated with security and had consistently continued to inquire the reasoning for what has prompted this issue? In addition, I had explained that I had not been profiled by anyone in over 30 years since 1981
About 10 minutes after conversing and cooperating with the officer. A female employee (nationality unknown) had stated to the officer that she felt that I was inebriated. I had stated that I had no interaction/conversation and had never seen this lady until now. Anyway, I had called a friend and the security had stated that I could wait in the hotel or stay outside. I did choose to stay outside for the simple fact that, I have not been profiled by any law enforcement in over 30 years and I was highly embarrassed about how this situation was handled. I did not see security taking anyone else and providing this embarrassing treatment to other guest during the remaining 40 minutes while waiting for my ride.
From a distance any from the main entrance estimated about 75 feet. I was distraught and was explaining the sequence of events/proceeding that had occurred to one of my Vietnam Veterans and the instructions to the Hotel ZaZa. Some guy (i.e. bouncer) and an entourage of men approached me and had stated that I needed to leave the premises. I had explained to the gentleman that I am a law abiding citizen and security had stated that I could wait outside for someone to pick me up. If, I must leave the premises? I had explained to the gentleman that he must go and address his concerns to the security officer. I am grateful to my friend whom had just arrived before another issue had escalated with this bouncer.
My recommendation for the management the Hotel ZaZa. This situation could have been handled by communicating with the guest first hand. In the event that employees have suspicions and or feel from a personal perspective about any guest deemed under the circumstances of afore mentioned (inebriated). Let then guest know prior instead of greeting him/her with a security officer without question. This type of harassment is embarrassing to any guest especially, in front of his/her colleagues and friends. This situation could have been avoided. I had cooperatively agreed to comply with security in spite of the surprisingly approach conducted in front of people whom had known me for several years. I have had no blemishes on my profile illegally and I am a law abiding citizen, whom has fought to protect my country with pride. I will at any means necessary, do whatever it takes to preserve and prevent the likes of any character assassination on my behalf.
I will never step foot in this establishment based on the experience.

In addition, I will tell all and relay my experience to my business associates, colleagues,friends and family.
Please feel free to respond and I may be contacted via email: klausc@live.com for additional details.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
11 Thank Klaus C
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Klaus C,

Thanks for your review. A little background for the audience. We have a dedicated security team for our guests' safety as well as contracting with local law enforcement for traffic control, etc. Both work in tandem to ensure a secure environment for our guests, a very secure environment. When one person's idea of fun infringes on another or creates a possible safety hazard, then we politely intervene so all patrons can enjoy the hotel, safely and securely.

After reviewing statements from our security team and the police officer with whom you became belligerent, the situation was handled very professionally. Once local law enforcement becomes involved, they have a standard protocol when dealing with situations such as yours. He informed us not to let you drive and we always follow the direction of local law enforcement.

Again, statements from all witnessing the dialogue between you, our team and the police officer state our staff and police officer were calm and professional at all times and offered to take the discussion to a more private setting. The police officer was surprised that you chose to escalate the dialogue and would not take his direction. Obviously, that was your choice to continue your interaction with the police officer.

So, in summary, our team and local law enforcement handled the situation very professionally and I apologize if you feel differently.

Best,

Matthew Nuss
Executive Vice President
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at the ZaZa and unfortunately had to go home early due to unexpected death. Staff was very kind and understanding. It was very much appreciated by my wife and myself. The hotel itself was very nice and has an "attitude" which was very refreshing in these days of computer generated decor. Hope to return some day.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Colin L!

Thank you for the review. I am pleased to read that my staff provided fine hospitality to you and your wife during your recent visit at Hotel ZaZa. Also, I am glad you enjoyed the decor of the hotel! ZaZa is definitely not your typical hospitality establishment. When your travels return you to H-town, please touch base. I will make sure my team rolls out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival! We love ya!
Bracknell
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed for several nights to recover from our transatlantic flight and to visit the museums. The location was perfect for the Museum of Fine Art which is just across the road from the hotel entrance.
Our first impression of ZaZa was the very dark lobby area followed by the relatively small size of our room for an expensive upmarket boutique hotel. However we were pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff we encountered.
We experienced only short delays for the valet parking service but like others thought the cost was quite high.
Would give the hotel a higher rating if the room had been of a better size for the price. It does not compare with similar hotels in other cities which we visited on this trip

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
rjg4321,

Thank you for the review! I am pleased that you received great service from the ZaZa team during your time at the hotel. In regards to the lighting, a few adjustments have been made to provide a brighter atmosphere for guests! I am glad you enjoyed the location of the Z! As for the valet price, Hotel ZaZa's rate is commensurate with other top tier hotels in Houston.

All in all, thank you again for your feedback! We love ya at ZaZa!
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our one night stay at the ZaZa hotel was enjoyable. On the Saturday in question there were three wedding receptions in the hotel. It is to the hotel's credit that we were not really aware of this apart from the fact that the cocktail bar was a little busier than usual. The valet parking was slick and professional. We also made use of the courtesy limo. Although you can't book this in advance it was immediately available for our departure and there was only a small delay in collecting us from our restaurant - understandable as it was at a peak time on a Saturday night. We did not use the pool or the pool area but both looked inviting. The breakfast was well up to standard with a choice of dining inside or on the terrace. If you want to stay in downtown Houston then Hotel ZaZa should be on your list.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SlowDance!

Thank you for the excellent feedback! I am pleased to read that you had a fantastic experience at Hotel ZaZa last month! The complimentary Magic Carpet Ride service is one of the many gems of ZaZa; I am glad you found the service efficient. Come on back soon and dive into ZaZa's refreshing Poolside area, or escape to the serene world of ZaSpa! We love ya!