Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District
  • Restaurant
Modern B&B(Houston)
Very Good 4/5
1,779 results
All reviewsmonarch restaurantblack labelherman parkrice universityroom serviceturn down servicemedical centercar servicefavorite hotelwithin milesmile radiusthe entire staffgreat customer servicefree shuttlesuitevaletconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed at ZaZA on my Bday last weekend just to get away. had a great experience. laid by the pool, had a few drinks and had a great room to relax come back to after a great night on the town. the room gets super cold and dark... that is the perfect sleeping and relaxing environment for me.

Kat was my Rep at the front desk and she was AWESOME! there were a few glitches with the reservation but she fixed it and made it even better!

i will definately be back in the near future when i need much needed R&R

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

jasonwbtx!

Thank you for the awesome review! I am happy that your birthday weekend was a fantastic experience at Hotel ZaZa! Comfort is definitely key at the Z. I will commend Kat for providing excellent service to you during your stay at the hotel.

Come on back soon for a phenomenal getaway! We love ya at ZaZa!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed at ZaZa as part of a conference I was attending at Rice University (which is a 10 minute walk away).

Hard for me to describe the ZaZa other than it felt like it was trying way too hard to be sophisticated and hip. The decor is dark (lots of chocolate), drapped in fabrics and zebra prints, and esoteric artwork. House music pumps through the lobby 24/7 which, although is better than muzak, is only marginally. The vague aroma of contrived naughtiness hangs in the air.

The room was nice, although the decor does tend to lean towards rich frat boy sophisticated. A friend of mine had a full size astronaut space suit in the corner of his room. Another had artwork of a naked woman lying on a sofa bed as his headboard. I walked off the elevator and was greeted by a life size photo of a naked woman lying suggestively on a red satin bed, a sheet strategically draped over her body.

The layout is confusing. Lots of hallways, drapes concealing doorways, and stars that lead not to the main floor, but actually to the basement and into the service hallways. It's not a big hotel, but I got confused and lost a few times trying to find my way around the hotel.

One night the ZaZa hosted a party (Polo chic dress code) on an outside patio which just happened to be below my room - actually just below everyone's rooms. It was loud. I felt the bass. Fortunately, the DJ's stopped the thumping eurotrash at 10pm, just as I was about to call the front desk and ask them how long it would go til.

For the love of all things good, don't ever bring your kids here. Actually, I doubt the ZaZa would even let you in the door with kids in tow.

Shower was nice, bed comfortable. But the whole time I was at ZaZa I felt slightly icky - like I was someplace I didn't belong. Someplace inhabited by 30 year old multimillionaire CEO's with an appetite for decadence and indulgence. ZaZa loves you (as I was repeatedly told every night before I fell asleep as the logo was emblazoned across my pillow), but that love isn't flowing both ways.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook bar on ZaZa party nights if you need to get to sleep before 10pm
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Bit to (sic) cool for me...

These are the tough responses to write as, unfortunately, ZaZa may not be for everybody. BTCFM, we apologize that you did not find our brand to your liking. Taste is indeed an individual preference and we respect your's much like we respect all opinions shared via this and other social media outlets. We don't necessarily agree with you but certainly respect your opinion, nonetheless.

You are correct. We are not typical. It feels to me that is what you want out of your hotel experience, typical. We are different, whimsical, unexpected, thought provoking, interesting yet reliable...very reliable and comfortable...like a best friend on the road - the eclectic best friend, of course!

In any event, we can agree to disagree! We thank you for your business and your comments and apologize you got lost in the hotel, to boot!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel does not know if it is a hipster hotel, a boutique hotel a business hotel or what. I say they need to find out and head in one direction. First the valet is the hardest working part of the hotel, good job and friendly. The front desk is OK, we did not get a room that was said to be offered in our reservation ( Pool Villa) and the room was right next to the maids room and elevators so it was extremely noisy in the morning. The room was not very clean and looked like a Vegas room, run down from use by thousands of visitors. Of course the items that are in the room for the guest and need to be paid for are all in place but the other items that should be in the room for the guest were not, the robe (we had only one) and the fruit that was included in our package was no where to be found. The pool was right outside our patio and they insisted on having the pool music on at 9:00am and on loud even though there were no people at the pool you could hear the music in the room with the door shut and drapes pulled. The AC/heating is terribly loud in the room. Oh the coffee that is self serve in the hall, went out in the robe in the morning and no coffee in the coffee dispenser, told the maids, they called, I waited about ten minutes with other guest coming and going and still no coffee. Really for this price either put coffee in the rooms or just have us order it through room service this is ridiculous. Food room service was OK. The bar downstairs is nice and the service was good. So this hotel has part of the service handled, parking and bar. As for the rest they need to train the staff in housekeeping and front desk further if they are trying to be an upscale hotel this means the manager needs to do a better job. No one wants to check into a hotel and spend their time trying to fix all the issues. In the future we will stay at the St. Regis hotel for mini vacations in Houston, they know service and luxury!

Room Tip: If you want to stay here you may want to pay for the suites because the other rooms are not worth the price.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freak4travel
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

The Price is Not Right...don't like to read those words.

We have reviewed as a team and definitely took away some very valuable lessons. We need to tighten up our reservation processes with Luxury Link (with whom you booked your reservation) as there is some glitch between our two systems that does not allow for "real time" viewing of our room inventory. In other words, their side is showing availability for a room type while we do not have that room type available. That is why we were not prepared for your arrival. We moved you to another room which was set for one traveler and your robe and amenity did not catch up to your move. A lesson learned on our end. Your room immediately went into out of order and we have since addressed the quality issues of your room. Thanks for the heads up and my apologies for the less than stellar experience.

Thanks for the review and we hope to see you back!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had a great time staying at Hotel ZaZa while in Houston for a business trip. The room is spacious and very quiet. I am able to get a lot of work done during my stay out here. The shower amenities are very nice, and it is right across the street from Museum of Fine Arts, which is equally a nice place to zen out and relax. The hotel staff was very friendly, and made me feel very comfortable. I especially liked the complimentary coffee service provided at each floor of the hotel. During my stay the weather was not that great so I was unable to enjoy the pool, but from the looks of it, it looks very relaxing and pretty. Will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Houston area. It is a 10~15 minute drive to downtown and the convention center. (which I frequented everyday during my stay)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Nice to hear from SoCal!

Thanks for the great review. Love the title, "quiet, clean and friendly staff"...don't know if I can write a better mission statement than that! Thanks for pointing out the strengths of our location, as well. We are a hop, skip and jump from just about anywhere in the city but we are in a very serene setting, not the norm for city hotels, indeed!

Again, thanks for the review and we look forward to your return. As with many reviewers who come back, please don't hesitate to call on me if I may be of assistance!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was the first butique hotel I ever stayed in, but I liked it. Lovely, clean with the good eye to details.Fantastic cocktails at the bar, food was great too - especialy the breakfast.
The hotel itself, it's design - maybe not everyone's taste, but I like it.

Room Tip: Rooms are clean and ambient.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Violeta G!

Thanks for the insightful review! We pride ourselves on being a destination boutique hotel. I certainly appreciate your words regarding Monarch. We have a different take on "hotel restaurants" than most in that we like to make each one unique and competitive with the best free standing restaurants in the city. Nice to see we hit the target!

Also, you are right. Our design is not for everybody. We are unexpected, fun, and whimsical but at the same time we are a quintessential business hotel during the week and an unbuttoned collar to an expensive blouse on the weekends. WOW! How is that for wordsmithing!

In any event, thanks for your kind words and hope to see you back!