“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #6 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Zaza while participating in a conference downtown. Though many hotels are located closer to the conference center, I was time and again grateful that I chose Zaza! The decor in the lobby is really over the top, which I personally enjoyed as I had never seen anything like it. All the staff I encountered were extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating. I stayed in a basic room which was fairly straightforward - all the amenities you'd expect in an upscale, modern and stylish hotel. The room was spotlessly clean and well-stocked with minibar items and toiletries.

I ate regularly in the Monarch restaurant and enjoyed the food, though the quality varied (from excellent to good, if uninspired). If I had been personally footing the bill I would almost certainly have opted to eat at a local restaurant instead as it was fairly expensive - for the same money you can get a phenomenal breakfast elsewhere.

The single best thing about the Zaza, though, is the free shuttle service offered to guests! Just ask at the valet and they'll arrange a shuttle to take you anywhere you want to go (within a five-mile radius after 14:00). It's certainly a unique experience to ride around in a massive SUV with a bullhead attached to the front! The drivers are also extremely friendly, outgoing, helpful and just nice to talk to. (Remember to tip!) In a city like Houston this was an enormous help for a business visitor without my own car.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool or facing south.
1 Thank bjork_13
Matthew_Nuss, Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Wonderful! I am happy you chose to stay at Hotel ZaZa also! My team is definitely stellar; I am glad to read you received top notch service during your visit! Hotel ZaZa aims to provide guests with an eclectic, enjoyable experience at every visit. From the bullhorns on the Magic Carpet Service shuttles to hot and sweet treats in the lobby, ZaZa has a little something special for all guests! Please let me know when your travels return you to H-town, as I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

customer service was great since i was purchasing this for my best friend getting married mid june. i have had problems with other hotels and sending me an authorization form, the rep was super helpful explaining the suites to me. only con i have is that there is no romance or honeymoon or wedding night packages!!??!?!? i really expected with how lovely this place seems for wedding and celebrations and the fact they had their own beautiful spa that there would be an enhancement package of some sort available to make their night amazing :( Im having to book on such short notice within nearly 2 weeks of wedding because of a super bad experience the couple had with another hotel and their reservations :( its hard having to purchase separate add-ons now and using an authorization form for each :( and my husband and i will now have to beat the bride and groom to their own room to fill it with candles and strawberries and champage. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ZAZA its summertime and wedding season please make a romance package and offer maybe a bath butler and breakfast in bed and a late check out and a spa couples package!!! its such a hassle doing this all separate, but as far as i can tell the hotel is beautiful and hopefully the suite "splendito" is equally as beautiful :)

Room Tip: ask the reservation specialists to go through the different amenities :)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dacia80
Matthew_Nuss, Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
dacia80!

Thank you for your constructive feedback! Hotel ZaZa offers a variety of unique stay packages throughout the year; however, a specific romance package is not currently available. I will definitely consider your request for future package ideas!

Please touch base when your travels return you to the ZaZa as I will have my staff roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival!
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here with my family a few times, Funky hotel in the museum area, bar and restaurant were great. Advertisement for the "divorce party weekend" made us smile.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the great feedback! I am happy you enjoy Hotel ZaZa! Please let me know when your travels return you to H-town, as I would love to create another signature ZaZa experience for you!
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

When I called to make a reservation, the reservation staff was rude regarding our negotiated corporate rates. I have stayed here many times before and will not return.

I also called the front desk and the girl there was rude too. Seems like it is a blessing they were not able to honor my negotiated rate so I would not experience such lousy service during my stay.

I travel to Houston from Washington DC nearly a dozen times a year. And that's sixty nights Zaza will no longer get from me!

5 Thank MinisterDizzy
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I checked into Hotel ZaZa frazzeled from a long flight to stay from May 22 to Friday May 25. I had been booked into the Hotel Granduca. However, when I arrived at Granduca, the pool was under repair and closed for the entire week, and I really longed to swim every day- so I moved to ZaZa. What a wonderful surprise.

The good news started with the front desk. Even though I showed up without advance warning, Jason accommodated my request for a quiet room with a balcony for fresh air (I can't live in sealed rooms with only AC due to bad sinus issues). He patiently showed me three rooms- the first two were rather noisy but the third (Room 944) was perfect with an expansive view of the city skyline. He was very patient and kind- many thanks to Jason!

The hotel has a "Miami style" kind of vibe without the annoying lack of service and caring most designer hotels exhibit- I can't usually stand the snarly staff who think they are cool at those kind of hotels. There was no attitude at ZaZa, which was key.

The room was spacious, offered free wireless internet was perfect for working/relaxing. I headed down outside for a swim, and found a lovely pool area, clean and modern gym, great lunch and drinks options and friendly staff. I had a hectic week of working, but was greeted each day by friendly staff. There was free tea and coffee in the hallway in the morning, which was great. I love the selection of organic teas. The restaurant offers a great breakfast served promptly, either inside or outside on a lovely covered porch.

Perhaps my favorite experience was with the spa- Lisa is an AMAZING deep tissue massage therapist- she fixed up my shoulder and is understandably booked heavily regularly. I was able to work with her twice. She is amazing.

The only downside for me was the free car service offered for rides five miles or less from the hotel is very busy, and since I was on a tight schedule I was never able to catch a ride in the free car. Houston's cabs are not the best, and they love to go the long way for out of town people who don't know the city. The car service I booked to the airport through the hotel was great.

The hotel is located in the museum district; you can walk across the street to a number of fabulous museums. Although I did not have time to do so, I appreciated the location.

For the money, ZaZa is a great value. They really offer good service, nice perks (free internet and organic tea or coffee in the am) and very good staff. I plan to stay regularly when I am in Houston at ZaZa-they have everything you need to work/play well in style.

Room Tip: Room 944 is quiet and has a nice balcony.
1 Thank C P
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Having stayed at Hotel ZaZa, Dallas many times I was very excited to check out the Houston location.
While the ZaZa style and vibe are here in full force it is lacking the same energy as the Dallas location.
The service was very good, especially the Bellmen and Valet's.
The guests in the room next to me had a raging party that went all they way into the morning. Not a huge disturbance to me noise wise, but it gave off a cheesy spring break feel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The location of this hotel can't be beat. You can walk to all of the museums, or stroll around and see the huge mansions, or ride the metro rail. It's very trendy and a place to see and be seen, if you will. I loved the pool area, relaxing lounge chairs and great food and beverage service. Even if you don't stay here have dinner here, great food!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Nuss, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Wow! Thank you for the fantastic feedback! Hotel ZaZa Houston is nestled in a beautiful area of the Museum District. I am happy you enjoyed relaxing by the ZaZa pool and savoring some of Monarch's delish cuisine! Please let me know when your travels return you to Texas, as I would love to create another exotic ZaZa experience for you!