“great find, will stay there again for sure”
Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #67 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Tokyo, Japan
“great find, will stay there again for sure”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

my wife and i stayed there for a week. houston was totally overcrowded and overbooked, and we reserved late. so we only spent half our stay in the main b&b, which was lovely and fun. the second half was in an associated apartment a mile+ away, which was functional.

the b&b is a great very modern space of white walls, variously angled, with glass and steel over soft wooden floors and stairs. it has eight very nice to great rooms, good folk, good food, fun international guests, good wifi (hey, i am a geek and had to work), ... there is even a large very large and luxurious suite for the mod honeymooners.

the food was really good and they accommodated my low carb needs as a type-2 diabetic. good wine and snacks were laid out for the evening. a subset of the guests seem to go party in the evenings (we had family obligations).

as i am an engineer, i have to mention that there are small gl!iches. housekeeping is not impeccable, so ask for another towel if you want one. it is not organized with military precision, go stay at the intercontinental. another reviewer complained of the lack of someone to carry one's luggage, but we don't expect this of a b&b (there is a lift to get to upper floors).

we will definitely stay there again. it is now our preferred houston stay.

• Liked — rooms, feeling of place, food, folk
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
San Francisco
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hosts were just wonderful and really wanted to make sure I had a great time. The building itself was beautiful. They were prepping for a magazine shoot when I stayed and they made sure none of the preparations got in the way of the guests. Some of the rooms they have are wonderfully unique so be sure to ask about them. I walked from there to the Menil collection and the Rothko Chapel. Do NOT miss the restored Byzantine Chapel just south of the Menil. Liked it better than the Rothko. I'm a little horrified at some of the negativity I've seen in other reviews. I found both the place and the people completely charming.

• Liked — The hosts were wonderful. The building was beautiful. It was a great location.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
Anonymous
Reviewed May 21, 2008

My wife and I stayed for the always stressful week of visiting family. We rented the apartment around the corner from the B&B (1837 Branard) and had our meals in the B&B itself. We live in a stressful crowded city with tiny apartments the SPACE in the apartment was like a cool salve on our frayed nerves. There was a couch for each of us to fall asleep on before retiring to the King sized bed. Proper TV with proper cable, full kitchen (but I think pots and pans are upon request -- we didn't cook) and what's better than ordering a pizza and a sixpack and watching Scifi on teh couch after a long flight? It was literally like having our own apartment in Houston. Only place I want to stay now.

• Liked — Friendly - ANYTHING you need is a cellphone call away to the owner.
  • Disliked — You need a car - but that's Houston.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We were visiting Houston for a friends wedding and wanted to avoid the large, characterless hotels of downtown. I was pleased to find the website for the modern B & B as it seemed to fit the bill, little did I know that our stay would exceed our expectations and provide some great memories of our holiday. We arrived late and very tired from Scotland and were given a warm welcome from Lisa who was extremely helpful in getting us settled. Little things make all the difference, like the fact that I had a splitting headache from the journey and was immediately provided with painkillers and a glass of iced water (as well as the option of a large glass of wine).
We opted for a “top shelf” room and were not disappointed. It was spacious, clean, had a huge bathroom with a plethora of toiletries as well as candles romantically placed around the spa bath. Our balcony was very private and had downtown Houston as a distant sky line.

We were told to help ourselves to snacks and drinks, which in most places would have been charged as extras. The look of the place may be very cool and artsy, but the welcome and service is homely and personal. Breakfast is a communal, laid back affair with plenty of food; delicious home made bakes, smoothies, and a cooked option. We were blessed with very interesting co residents, with whom we passed a long and enjoyable morning over pancakes and coffee. The hotel is in a smashing area: all leafy and remarkably quiet considering its proximity to major sights. We walked around the museum district with ease and encountered no problems at night when walking to local bars and eateries.

If you’re hung up on crisp “turn down” service, folded toilet paper and formal dining of a morning, then give this one a miss. If however you want to feel like you’re staying with a friend who happens to be a very good host, look no further, you won’t be disappointed.

• Liked — Friendly hosts and homely sevice
  • Disliked — Lack of blinds on rear balcony let in light in morning
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Taos
Reviewed January 29, 2008

My wife and I were lucky enough to stumble across the Modern B and B near the Montrose area of Houston. Liza is a charming hostess that will change the way that you see Houston for the better. She is located within walking distance of some of the best restaurants that Houston has to offer. The b and b is centrally located to downtown, the museum district, the Galleria area (famous shopping area), Greenway area. Close to freeway. The architecture of the b and b is enough to merit a stay. In addition, Liza has notable original art in the common areas that has been the subject of local art tours. Claire, the breakfast master, assures that breakfast will be memorable. Liza is likely to drag her guests off to eat with her or to meet with her buddies from Rice U for a beer or two. All in all, a very inviting experience that should not be missed.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 5, 2007

If you go on the website of this B&B or you talk to the owner, you'll think you have just discovered a gem. Supposedly the place will be featured in Southern Living, which leads me to believe that they have lower standards than I expected.
Upon staying in the place, I would tell a different story. Two townhouses are joined to create this bed and breakfast. Lots of stairs (some on the outside), of course nobody to help with luggage or to welcome us, the car stays parked in the street (in a city with major auto burglary issues). The bed was uncomfortable, the linens had some small holes. Imagine my surprise upon returning the second day when I found out that the bed had not been made. The amenities in the bathroom were very limited and the cleanliness marginal. Breakfast is supposed to be a special affair at the communal table. The first day I could not get scrambled eggs because they did not have the right pan, the second day the orange juice had gone bad. I don't think that for the money this place represents value--there are lots of hotels in Houston that are more convenient and offer a better experience. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — stairs and bed
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank AGrassini
texas
Reviewed May 16, 2007

It's an okay place to stay. We wanted a room with a private entrance so we could come and go -- we are late night people. Our room was under the kitchen and it was loud in the morning. Our sheets were not clean upon arrival and we requested clean ones. It was an awkward moment but they changed the sheets. Kinda odd place in general but the location is great. We wanted a place near Montrose, galleries and the museums so you can't really beat it for that. If you are a picky person, it's probably not the place for you. I was thinking it would have better decor too.

Stayed February 2007