“oddly different, but very nice”
Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #72 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Henderson, Nevada
“oddly different, but very nice”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I travel extensively for business and have never stayed at a B&B for work. My experiences with B&B's had always been with more of a classic victorian style place where it is quaint, etc and more for personal experience than anything. All of the hotels in Houston were booked for a tradeshow I attended last minute so this place looked pretty neat. When I arrived by cab, I was very confused. No sign out front to let me know I was at the right place and the cab driver was afraid to leave me. I wasn't sure where the entrance was so started knocking on doors which I found out to be the rooms of guests. I called the number I was given and Lisa was on site and met me within minutes and very nice and friendly and made me feel reassured. She gave me the Deluxe room as I wanted a quiet place where I could do work at night and wanted a private bath. Unlike the B&B's I'm used to, there was nothing overwhelming attractive about the rooms, but had everything I needed. Although it was quiet, my room was right near the entrance to this building so luckily I am up early, but when the other person in the building came and went, it would have woken me up. So take note of that. One thing I was really impressed with is I never bring a hair dryer and shampoos, etc when I travel because I utilize those at the hotels. They had everything here I needed. And big bottles of Biolage shampoo and conditioner ladies! Very nice! The only other downside of the room itself is no ability to adjust temperatures. So the first night I was chilly and could not adjust and in the morning was warm. There is a ceiling fan which helped. I also chose a downstairs room because I have a bad back and did not want to carry my luggage up the stairs. When Lisa gave me the rules of the place, there was a lot to remember but I don't think she mentioned there was wine, etc we could help ourselves to. Nice touch, would have taken advantage and just read that on someone else's review. Oh well. The shared areas were very nice and inviting, but I never had time to use them. The breakfast array looked awesome but I had to leave too early to eat. Grabbed some coffee (Lisa even offered to get me flavored cream which she had for me for the week), smoothies, fruit, granola, pastries, fresh cooked breakfast each morning too! Wish I could have indulged more. I think I wanted to find fault with this place because of its oddities, but it really was quite nice. It's not like being in a hotel so for some that's great and for others not so much. But I had a very nice stay and would recommend it, but not sure I would choose this type of stay for work next time.

Room Tip: Ask Lisa which room she recommends depending on what your needs/wants are. My room was fine, but if...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chelly12364
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
I greatly appreciate how thoughtful your review was. You stayed in our Fantain room Which is a ground floor room with an insuite bath and you are right that if another guest goes up to their 3rd floor room you will hear then. Sound is always a big worry for me but, sort of the nature of the Bb. There can be noise in a hotel but, less likely they have more carpet and sound proffing with concrete construciton. We have some quirks but, peopel stay here because we are quirky and the neighborhood and table converstaion is awesome.

Sorry about no big sign. We have debated this over the years but, do not want solicitors walking up even to guest doors so no sign is the choice for now.

To help with the confusion in March we started sending out a checkin notice the day of your arrival with lots of info about the neighborhood my phone number and how to get in.

The rooms in our main building are much more unique than the traditional ones at our townhomes next door. We only have 2 ground floor rooms with in suite baths so with the modiblity issue that was our only choice. So sorry you missed breakfast.

Please try us again some time.

Take care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
College Station, Texas
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was in town for a two day workshop in the Montrose area of Houston and I love staying in B & Bs. After checking out the offerings in the Montrose area and considering my budget I chose The Modern. Good choice. After dialing the number on the door, as reported by others, Lisa answered immediately and she had one of her staff to welcome me. She was sweet, attentive and offered some good suggestions for vegetarian restaurants. She also offered me some wine and snacks. One of the housekeepers was also there and she was so sweet as well. I chose the Mod room 2 given that it had its own private bath up a staircase. The price was right, the room was good, and the private bath was great. The only thing I would recommend is adding some some blackout curtains behind regular curtains to reduce the intrusive night lights on the private entrance. During the day all the windows and private entrance are great. At night, the curtains could not block all the outside bright lights, had difficult time sleeping.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jorge G
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thanks for your awesome suggestion about blackout curtains we added them to the Mod 2 room and it is a great improvement.

Come back and see us again some time.
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was excited when we booked Modern B and B as the reviews were so good but sadly we were disappointed by the overall experience. First the good things: the room ( Treehouse) was enormous; huge bathroom and separate dressing room, two balconies overlooking the city, good breakfasts and some nice chatty people, the position is also good for Menil collection and supermarkets...by car though as far too hot to walk. Now the not so good! We arrived at specified time and first impressions not great....dirty stairway with cigarette ends and bits of old BBQs and dead plants in pots. No one home but a note stuck to the door told us to phone a number which we did. Given the door code and told which was our room and left to drag 3 heavy suitcases up 3 flights of stairs..later told we should have used the elevator which we didn't know existed. Lots of space in the reception rooms but didn't know if we could help ourselves to drinks or water so were forced out again immediately to find a drink. When we returned Lisa was there, perfectly nice but also entertaining members of her family so we felt as if we were intruding on a family gathering. Everyone talking between themselves (understandably) and we felt slightly awkward. 'happy hour' is advertised but again not sure of the protocol ...help yourself or rummage in the fridge. Overall it felt like staying with slightly mad cap friends who were not really expecting you. When we checked out Lisa much more interested in talking to another friend about investment opportunities rather than see us off. Disappointing and would not stay again. Had to remind ourselves we were paying for this!

Room Tip: Tree house is a great room space wise but be warned there are no curtains on the top windows so earl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PatanAl
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We cleaned up the porch based on your feedback and I think it looks much better now. We were 100% full when you stayed with us. Of twenty-two guests I had two family members that week. Many of the people that you saw and thought were my family were regular guests, used to being at the Modern and seeing me as well as each other. We try not to exclude new guests as evidenced by our asking you to join us at the table one evening. I did notice you waiting for me upon checkout; I just could not seem to extract myself from the conversation I was in and for that I do apologize.
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This accommodation was booked for me, so I didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. The b&b consists of three adjacent townhouses built in a fun, contemporary style. I arrived after 8pm and was surprised, not pleasantly, that no one was there, but I called the number on the note left on the door and Lisa was able to talk me through finding my room which was in the third townhouse. You should know there are a fair number of stairs to climb as the entrances to each building were on the second floor. It seems each room is unique and has a name to match, but my room was still being worked out, so unfortunately I missed out on that added character. That said, it felt like staying in someone's house which I really liked in contrast to sleeping in a random, monotonous hotel. The breakfast table was full the first morning, so I sat at the bar by myself. Everyone was very chatty, and there seemed to be a lot of repeat guests. The second morning, just the opposite was true - I was at the table all by myself and had a tasty made-to-order omelette. Overall, I had a nice stay and would come back again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ciaosole
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thanks for your cool review. We have people at the BB most of the time to check folks in but, 8pm and later is a bit tough because we try to have a little personal life. I am glad you were ultimately cool with me guiding you in. I was very likely either at the Harp for trivia which we often take guests to as well or out with my running group on a Wednsday night.

Hope you come back and stay with us again. We do have lots of regulars and once you get the lay of the land you will love this place.

All the best to you.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have stayed here twice: in April, 2012, when our son was considering Rice University, and again in the following August when he enrolled. The staff was very friendly; our room (the Cayman-Chickadee) was spacious, and the excellent breakfast included baked goods right from the oven. Both times we stayed, we found the conversation with the other guests around the breakfast table to be a very enjoyable part of our stay. We'll certainly stay here again whenever we return to Houston.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We love our Rice University familes. Thank you for the nice review and cannot wait to welcome to back to the Modern.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I recently had 16 out of town family guest come to Houston for a wedding. Instead of having everyone stay at a hotel, they all stayed at the Modern B&B. Everyone of my guests thanked me for the recommendation as the experience exceeded expectations. The rooms offered privacy when needed but the common areas were a great gathering place or the entire group. That combined with the wonderful hospitality, great location in Houston, outstanding customer service and the awesome breakfasts are reasons why I highly recommend Modern B&B

Room Tip: Talk directly to Lisa to explain your needs and she will find the right room for you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Utrecht
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed in Modern B&B for business during the OTC with several colleagues and we especially liked the uncomplicated atmosphere, good breakfast and Lisa, the owner. Additionally, it is located in a neighbourhood that is very open, green and has some nice places to drink a beer and eat some food.

You have your own room in one of the three houses, with your own bathroom. Each house has its public area with kitchen but breakfast is served each morning in the main house. Wonderful eggs, cakes, lots of fruit.

The place is a good option for families as well.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business