“Like staying at a friend's house”
Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #67 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Brownsville, TX
“Like staying at a friend's house”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This B&B is unique and inviting. The sign is hard to view from the street, which is indicative of its unassuming environment. The owner, Lisa, is down to earth and makes you feel welcome from the moment of arrival. There are two living rooms and two kitchens, which you are free to access at your leisure. I took a nap on a lovely lounge chair in the living room with a record player. My parents and I stayed in the Cayman/Chickadee rooms with a shared bathroom and it was PERFECT for us. The accommodations are not super plush but incredibly comfortable. I didn't make it to breakfast but had some leftover home made blueberry coffee cake that was heavenly! When you return for the evening there is always wine and some sort of snack set our for you. Factor in free off street parking and this place becomes quite the bargain. It is located right around the corner from the West Alabama Ice House, where anyone from businessmen to bikers to hipsters convene for great beer and tacos from the adjacent food truck - a must if you are in area. Several of the other patrons at the B&B were repeat customers and late night/breakfast conversations with them only added to the experience. I, too, cannot wait to return for another stay. I am already planning a trip for January. I look forward to seeing you there! p.s. the cat previously mentioned is no longer around. :( But there is a patio cat that makes an appearane from time to time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Denver, CP
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while in town for business. The descriptions of the rooms on their website are spot on, so go there first to select. Lisa (owner) is a great host and makes this place feel like it's your own flat or home away from home.

I can't say I love Houston, but this place is a clean, fun, modern, and unique refuge from the madness (i.e. strip malls, traffic, attitudes, etc). While I didn't get to check it out this trip, the hotel is very close to the Rothko Chapel and Menil collection. There are also a number of choice bars and restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel itself is modern, but inviting and not pretentious. It has a very European feel to it with everyone gathered around the kitchen table sharing food, drink, and very (sometimes VERY) interesting stories.

I think I've found my new Houston "go-to" when in town for work. Thanks Lisa and staff, see you next round...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Austin, TX
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. Our room was spacious and had a glamorous bathroom. The bed was super comfy, the owner very friendly and the breakfast yummy. The location in a quiet neighborhood is close to everything. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012
Oklahoma City
Reviewed August 23, 2012

When I booked my room at the Modern B&B, I was mainly looking for a place to stay off of Westheimer, where I was planning to spend most of the time hanging out with friends and checking out the hot spots. I certainly couldn't have picked a better location! The Modern B&B is right in the heart of town, very close to Rice University, museums, restaurants, bars, parks, and even downtown. I wasn't more than a five-minute, non-highway drive from any of these places except downtown (which was about 10 minutes away), and the less driving around on highways you have to do in Houston, the better! Added to the great location is the b&b itself. It looks like it was originally a small apartment building, but it's now a 14-room guesthouse with some great modern architecture and furnishings -- such a pleasant change from the typical Victorian b&b's and you see everywhere. The place is bright and airy with all kinds of books and records to look through and interesting people to chat with. I also liked the fact that there was free parking right outside my room. Speaking of rooms, mine was a nice size with a private entrance and a truly monstrous jacuzzi tub/shower that was the centerpiece of the room.

The kitchen downstairs was well equipped with homemade muffins and cookies to munch on upon my arrival, and when I came downstairs for breakfast the next morning, I was greeted with fresh juices and smoothies, assorted coffees and teas, lots of fruit, some delicious homemade granola, a plethora of yogurts, bacon, and eggs any way I wanted them.

Finally, the staff was very friendly and helpful and seemed to genuinely enjoy running their very inviting, if a bit unconventional (and pleasantly so), b&b. When I arrived on a not-so-busy Thursday, Lisa graciously offered to upgrade my room, and she and the rest of the staff were eager to offer up restaurant and tourist suggestions during my short stay in Houston. Thanks to their hospitality, the fantastic location, and the funky modern decor, I'll highly recommend the Modern B&B to others and will plan to stay there again myself.

As for restaurants, I would highly recommend The Raven Grille on Bissonet for a meal, The Royal Oaks for a drink/yummy bar food, the pavillion at Rice University (not so much for the food as for the great architecture and atmosphere), and London Sizzler for the best Indian food ever!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We really wanted to stay in the Montrose area of Houston because our sole reason for visiting was the Art Car Museum (okay, and one of my friend's brothers).

We found the Modern by accident (talking to some people at an icehouse nearby) and loved it so much we stayed two nights (instead of the one we had initially planned).

Anyhow, the building is lovely and, well, modern, not what you usually expect out of a b and b.

This has to be the only place to stay in Houston, a huge and sprawling town, with the best part of it at the center (the Montrose area).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Huntsville, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My first impression of this place was, wow. It's location is amazing. Perfect distance from down town to avoid the noise but still have a view. Also, a plus is that you get your own driveway to park in (free of charge). Other hotels in Houston charge $15 or more just to park. The room I stayed in is known as their treehouse room. It was so modern and the bed was cozy. The balcony is awesome and the room even has it own private entrance. The bathroom is not shown in any of the pictures on their website but the walk in shower that is all tile is amazing with 4 shower heads. The spa tub for two feels amazing. When we headed down stairs for breakfast in the morning we could smell it when we stepped foot out of the door. Breakfast itself was amazing. Homemade granola and smoothie with expresso strait from their own machine. The chef will custom make any type of egg or omelette you request, and the ingredients for the omletes are never ending. Asparagus is different but amazing in your fresh omletes. Overall AMAZING place.

Room Tip: The treehouse is the highest price, but in my options the best room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I travel to Houston for work frequently and found the Modern B&B when all of the hotels downtown were booked because of conventions (which happens frequently!). The house, the rooms, the hospitality, the food (and wine) is always great and is such a welcome change from staying in a standard hotel. In addition, the neighborhood is fantastic. There is so much to do within walking distance - restaurants, bars, shops all in a friendly neighborhood atmosphere.

Room Tip: Love the Treehouse and Skyline! You'll feel like you are truly on vacation!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business