“Modern B&B: Break from the norm and home to the human "Energizer Bunny"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #69 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Washington, DC
“Modern B&B: Break from the norm and home to the human "Energizer Bunny"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Traveled short notice to Houston for business and previous reviews for the Modern caught my attention. Called just 2 days before arrival date and spoke with Lisa, the owner of the property. She was able to accomodate me and even bumped me up a notch to a nicer room at my per diem rate.

Now for those expecting a lavish, uber luxury experience, this is probably not the place for you....however, this establishment is more about fostering the relationships that people can experience when they actually have the opportunity to meet and talk together at a relaxed pace. Many unique conversations have taken place (based on my short stay) over early evening wine/gin and tonic "hour(s)'" around the B&B's dining table. During stay met and talked with a couple from Denmark here after attending a conference in San Antonio now looking for good BBQ and a rodeo, a grandfather in from Winipeg in to visit his grandkids and listening to one of them playing drums at a local bar, multiple different corporate lawyers, a young couple from Greece and even a renovation/landscaping pair in from Lake Charles LA in for the night picking up a very specific slate for a project. Many of Modern's clientele are extremely loyal repeat customers and are drawn here to the level of service Lisa and her staff provide.

Location of property makes it ideal for those looking to visit the museum district of Houston but what is even more appreciated is the abundant food and nightlife options . Many locations are actually close enough to walk to even in Houston's heat and humidity. Just tell Lisa what kind of food you're looking for and I'll guarantee that she can provide you with more options than you can imagine.

Having a chef on staff for breakfast is a really nice touch especially for early risers like myself but don't expect "McDonald's" speed so plan accordingly. Good food takes TIME.

Though I have been told by many that I am an extremely "high-speed" person, I felt like the proverbial tortoise in comparison to the Modern's owner Lisa. She'd give the Energizer Bunny a real run for the money amazed me throughout my visit with her desire to engage with her guests. She cooks for the guests on her chef's day off and even baked cookies one afternoon...just because. To top it all off, she even got up at an ungodly hour to personally prepare fresh coffee and a package of said cookies for me to take to the airport for a 6 AM flight. Try to find that level of commitment at other places!

To Lisa and her staff, kudos and hope to see you all again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Astoria, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. The proprietor is one of the rudest people I have ever dealt with. After receiving confirmation of my reservation she called and cancelled it saying she had someone more important to rent it to. I love to give business to people who actually want it but...I never give business or recommendations to people that ride brooms and wear hats. This proprietor is definitely the latter. If your ever in Houston, TX take your business elsewhere.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank She O
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

I have traveled extensively for business for about 10 years. I tired of the upscale business hotels years ago and then tried the small classic and then the hip boutique hotels but never found a way to enjoy business trips. Lisa's Modern B&B is the best solution I have found. Its a perfect balance of comfortable and posh. I can relax with Lisa and the fascinating group of guests and friends at breakfast or over a glass of wine or I can get complete privacy and comfort in my room. The place is spacious and light. Everything is clean and comfortable.On longer trips I enjoy having a full kitchen available for my meals. The showers are fantastic, breakfast is great. The new kitten is crazy cute.

Room Tip: Tree top room is so relaxing, but all the rooms are comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Liverpool, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

Modern B& B is off Montrose Boulevard in a great area of Houston for restaurants- try Marks American Cuisine and Hugos!
On arrival, Lisa greeted us with a gin and tonic and great conversation- very relaxed and friendly
We stayed in the Skyview room which was huge- balcony view of the city- large high ceilings, comfy bed, huge bathroom with walk in slate shower
After British Airways lost one of our bags- Lisa was more than helpful dealing with the courier to accept delivery for us
Breakfast was communal and omelettes cooked to order by the charming Roxanne, conversation flows and its a great way to start the day
Highly recommended

Room Tip: go for the sky room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

Last February we stayed for two nights in the Modern B&B. It is a very nice place to stay in a great, quiet location. Lisa was very helpful and gave us a very nice room. The breakfast is very good! When in Houston, stay there!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Took my wife to Houston for the weekend to see some of the great museums and art in the city. Location was most important, as I did not want to drive around the city once we arrived and was the main reason we settled on Modern B&B. My main concern was being overly pandered and catered to, which was not the case. In fact, when we showed up, no one was even there to check us in! However, that was not a problem, as we enjoy our privacy, and this place provided a unique experience, a beautiful room (we stayed in treetops and it was WELL worth the extra $$ to book the primo room) and a great location where we could walk or take a short cab to dinner/museums/hermann park, etc. Lisa was very friendly and non-ostentatious, and we both enjoyed the company for breakfast, our only time of interacting with the other guests. If you require extra-special attentive service you might find this place lacking, but for us it was perfect and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foremanna
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

I am a native Houstonian who moved away many years ago. When I go back to visit my family, it's easier to stay in a hotel. While Houston has a lot of hotels (all the major chains are well-represented), they seem to be located either downtown or in the congested Galleria-area or (shudder!) out in the sticks.

I found the Modern B&B here on TripAdvisor and I was immediately intrigued both by the modern style and the Expobar espresso machine. I don't typically stay in b&b's because I am allergic to the overly frou-frou'd decor that you tend to find in the average b&b.

The Modern B&B, fortunately, is far from typical. My SO and I booked one of the larger rooms with access to a private deck. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was much larger than a typical hotel room and had adequate desk space and free Wi-Fi for my boyfriend to work. The bathroom was also very large and had two sinks and a great walk-in shower (with fantastic water pressure).

Breakfast was served around 8am each morning and consisted of a hot quiche or frittata along with fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee. You can make your own cappuccino or espresso. My boyfriend loved the fruit smoothies. We enjoyed talking with Lisa, the owner, and the other guests at breakfast, too.

The b&b is in a great part of Houston (IMO), inside the Loop and convenient to the best restaurants and attractions. I was literally no more than 15 minutes from all the places I like to go. Parking is really easy, either in the driveway of the b&b or on the next street.

I would heartily recommend the Modern B&B and look forward to my next stay!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple