“Very pleasant hotel, let down by average service”

Hotel Granduca Houston
Ranked #2 of 507 Hotels in Houston
London, UK
“Very pleasant hotel, let down by average service”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

The hotel is themed on a Tuscan villa despite being in the middle of a Houston business and shopping district - a little bizarre - but far more interesting than your average hotel in such areas. The rooms are large and comfortable with interesting and attractive free-standing furnishings. There is a very pleasant pool area and terrace.

The service is very hit and miss with some staff clearly undertrained. When staying in such a good hotel it is a little frustrating that the staff are unable to be attentive to the requirements of guests or even pour wine properly.

That said it is a minor fault and I shall certainly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I stayed at the Granduca while I was moving to a new location in Houston, so I lived there for about ten days. I got a very good deal via an online so I can't complain, but, the website said that self parking was free, and they charged me $20 a day because of my special rate, so my advice is to watch for hidden fees if you do go there on a special package. The website also said free breakfast, but they charged me around $20 for that as well (cereal, a croissant, and yogurt). The decorations were a bit on the heavy side for my taste, but the rooms were beautifully done. The bathroom is very nice. I had a room with a view of the pool which I liked. Housekeeping was excellent. I liked the little sink, fridge, and set of dishes that they had there, since I was living there; that made it much more convenient. I would recommend staying there again as an alternative to corporate housing. It is very close (walking distance) to Uptown Park which has a Starbucks, several nice restaurants, and shopping, and also it is quite convenient (short drive) to the Galleria.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
southern states
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This review is long overdue, but I'm just starting to recover from a lengthy illness. My first stay here was in Jan. 09. I have stayed many times since then, sometimes as many as 4 days a week. First of all I would like to say that the staff of this hotel are the best! I was always greeted by name and in a warm and welcoming manner. Every request was handled immediately. A very special thank you to Omar and Umer for always having a room for us and upgrading us every single time to a 1 bedroom suite @ no extra charge! We also greatly appreciated the complimentary fruit and cheese plates and fresh apples that were sent to our room after a long day @ the medical center.
Our room was always spotlessly clean and all furnishings seemed brand new. We especially liked the full kitchen and the huge bathroom and walk-in closet. Very handy when your staying for several days at a time! We ate at the restaurant a couple of times and the food was really good. The mushroom risotto and shrimp cocktail are yummy! The only thing I would change would be to add some more dishes from the restaurant to the room service menu. I would suggest a steak dish, a chicken dish, some sort of seafood dish and a couple of pizza options. All in all a fabulous stay and we will definitely be back in the future!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tripjunkie8
Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I have stayed in the the four seasons and st regis and this hotel is better for families. The two and three bedroom suites are very spacious. They seemed to go out of their way to make our children feel at home. Generally I love the four seasons brand but the houston property falls short. This is definitely the best hotel in houston...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We booked the King Suite for the night. We were treated exceptionally well by the entire staff. Received a couples massage in the room, plus champagne and chocolates. The continental breakfast was included the next morning.
The room itself was huge and overlooked the beautiful swimming pool area. Everything was pristine. The restaurant’s food was exceptional. Yes, the service is slow, but it is more European style than American. The servers did not interrupt you, but the second you looked up for one, they were at your table. The lamp chops were exquisite as was the vanilla panacotta!
Across the street is Uptown Park with many attractions, including the Tasting Room. We did not go there this particular night, but have been many times previously. There is a lot to do in the area!
It was an amazing romantic getaway on our first wedding anniversary! I loved it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
West Monroe, LA
Reviewed June 26, 2009

I totally agree with the last person who reviewed this hotel. Our front desk snob was Aleandra...... she informed us that there was no continental breakfast or valet parking "at this rate".... we made the reservations through Expedia. Money is not and was not the issue....however, common courtesy has no price tag!
The other hotel personnel were quite nice and pleasant, the room very nice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank b28xsf
NY
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I recently stayed at Hotel Granduca and I was pleased with the atmosphere of the hotel. However the restaurant cavour was far less than satisfactory. The food took exceptionally long even though the restaurant was empty. I asked to speak with the chef and she was blatently rude to me in front of all my guests. I would rather go to McDonalds then eat there again. Very overpriced! Waitstaff was decent but the wait for the food was ridiculous. The nerve of the chef to treat me like that, she should be fired I forgot her name something with a C. I believe this can be a great place. It is very nice and cozy, but the meal completely ruined the experience for me.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business