“Loved it!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Houston
“Loved it!!!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Great hotel. Small, beautiful, old world, great service, incredible location in the heart of the galleria. Great value on weekends - I will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
MaryGraceGray, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Guest

We are so delighted you enjoyed your stay with us in Houston. We do hope you will return again soon.

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us.

Hotel Granduca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I arrived at the hotel around 8:30 pm after a day of a long flight, followed by business meetings and dinner. I parked my rental car in a row of cars across the hotel's front entrance, but rather to the left, not directly across from it. I actually looked out for any valet parking signs, but did not see any in the dark. I was walking to the front entrance with the anticipation of finally relaxing at what promised to be a great hotel.

So, imagine my disappointment when I walked into the hotel, and the doorman immediately started telling me that I had parked in the wrong spot. He was insisting that I haul my luggage back and move the car right away. I asked him if he could help? No. All this time, the front desk personnel was rather disinterested. No one greeted me. Finally, I insisted that I was going to check in first. I expressed by disappointment to the guy checking me in, explaining that this level of service, or rather lack of service, is not befitting to a hotel that is listed among the Distinctive Hotels of the World. This got their attention. And they finally moved my car further two spots to the left of its current spot.

The room was rather nice and large, so was the bathroom. At other times, their service erred on the end of being extremely solicitous. They have a lovely pool area. Overall, it's a nice hotel, but too hyped up, and not remotely deserving of being among the Distinctive Hotels of the World.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JasmineMarti
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to share your comments on your recent stay with us in Houston. We are sorry you were not completely satisfied with your experiences. We look forward to your return to enjoy all that Granduca has to offer.

Sincerely

Netherlands
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Excellent personal service. Small however tastefully decorated rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
MaryGraceGray, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay at Hotel Granduca. We are delighted you enjoyed our surroundings. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Have a great Summer!

Best regards,

General manager
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Thought the hotel was very stylish and very pricey, but wished I stayed for the entire weekend. Has a beautiful pool area, complete with a covered outdoor lounge and cabanas. Unusually laid out restaurant whose food was extremely tasty. The service throughout was polite, but I thought rather stiff--no personality! I knew this was high end elegance, but the staff could loosen up, it won't disappoint the clients I promise. Overall, it was very expensive, but probably not to the type of guests they cater too. Room was very spacious and complete (get one with a balcony overlooking the pool). I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is prepared to pay top dollar!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whyaskme3
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear about your stay in Houston at Hotel Granduca. We look forward to your return to enjoy the Pool, Veranda and our wonderful surroundings. Have a great Summer!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I had high hopes for this hotel which promises an "Old World" experience. No one was there to open the door and help me with my car when I arrived. No one was there to open the door when I left either. I ordered their signature Granduca Burger for $29, but the truffles were obviously from a can and had no fragrance or flavor. The chef didn't bother to show his face. I left without checking in.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank denise5807
MaryGraceGray, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your experience at Hotel Granduca. I am truly sorry you were not pleased with your hamburger as well as the front desk services. I do hope you will return to allow us another opportunity to welcome you in our usual manner.
We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We were at the Granduca from Thursday to Monday. The staff is friendly had a wonderful suite with kitchenette. Very clean and front desk staff was so nice friendly. The TV in the bedroom could have been bigger though. Pool area was nice and so was the food. All in all a great experience. Unfortunately, we were there during Final 4 basketball tournament so rates were sky high! Close to Galleria Mall and lots of restaurants 5 minutes away!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Hotel Granduca. We are always delighted to know our guests enjoy the serenity of our peaceful oasis. We do hope you will return again....We look forward to seeing you soon!

Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I have been a frequent guest at the Granduca. I guess I kept hoping it would improve, but it hasnot. The Granduca has disappointed me for the last time and I will not return.

1. Do not order room service. I called and ordered a chesse plate one evening when I was working late. The menu desribed three types of cheese and grapes. An hour passed- no cheese plate. I called. The woman who answered the phone promised to look into it. She never called back. Another 15 minutes passed and I called. She said she was looking into it. She never called back. After another 15 minutes, I called. The waiter answered and explained he had delivered it to the wrong room. I suggested he make another and he seemed surprised at my suggestion. Finally, he brought me the "cheese plate" -- three large hunks of some white cheese a few crackers and some relish. When I complained that it was not what was described in the menu, he shrugged and left. I called the front desk and ask them to have the General Manager call me. She never did.

2. Do not use the laundry service. They are incapable of accounting for clothing. Most recently, they lost my navy blazer for a day before finding it and they lost all of my laundry for the last night of my stay and then argued with me about whether I gave them any laundry. When I explained that I personally gave the bag to the front desk at 7 am, they acted as if they did not believe me and began calling people who were on duty at that time. After three more calls, I walked down to the front desk and asked to see where they kept the laundry. They refused me. The finally found my laundry at the clearners they use. They told me I would have it by 9 am the next day because it was "in a machine and wet." I explained that a suit should be dry cleaned and it best not be "wet.". They again said I could get my laundry by 9 am--small comfort since my flight was scheduled to leave before they wanted to return my laundry. After makiing me wait for a couple of hours, they finally brought me my laundry. It was not wet. It was finished and hanging. So, they kept me up for a couple of hours waiting on my laundry and they did not seem to care. Again, I asked to speak to the General Manager. She did not call me.

3. Do not use the mini bar. They only re-fill the mini bar when they want to do so. During my most recent stay, they tried to do so only once-- when I had the privacy sign on the door. Indeed, they just opened the door and attempted to come right in. They never tried to re-fill it again. On the last day of my stay, I took a soda bottle from the mini bar and when I tried to open it, it exploded and glass cut my lip. I grabbed a towel and tried to stop the bleeding and when I finally got it under control, I called the front desk and explained what had happened. They said they would send a maid to clean up the glass and a first aid kit if I needed one.The maid did not arrive in the 30 mins that passed before I had to leave. Nice eh? If I ran the hotel and a guest had a soda bottle explode from the mini bar, I think I would have gone to the guest's room and apologized and expressed concern. The General Manager never called me to explain how a soda bottle might explode or why and they charged me for the beverage that exploded.

4. They are greedy. I stayed for almost a week before the Final Four in Houston and needed to stay for five more days starting on the Sunday when no game was played, including Monday-Wednesday nights. I have a regular corporate rate with Granduca that is reasonable and I am a frequent guest. Yet, the Granduca jacked up my rate to $650 a night for Sunday and Monday and refused to reduce it claiming the Final Four generated demand for the rooms. That might have been true before Butler and U Conn won their semi-final games and there were cancellations all over Houston by fans of other larger programs who hoped to see their teams in the finals. The Granduca has no customer loyalty at all and they took advantage of me and they know it.

5. There is no management. I have asked the front desk staff to see a manager on a half dozen cocassions. Most of those were met with blank stares. The only place I ever saw the General Manager was on the hotel channel on the TV where she promised to take care of my every need. I have never seen her on property in any of my visits and she has never once responded to any of the messages I left at the front desk to have her call me to discuss each of the aforementioned experiences.

6. They are unresponsive. If you call the front desk, the standard reply is "I will look into it." Apparently, "looking into it" rarely involves calling you back to let you know what they are doing about it. There is no sense of urgency in responding to my requests.

7. They are unreliable. You might get business packages addressed to you or they may end up in another guest room. It is a crap shoot. Sometimes, your TV's work and sometimes, they do not. Sometimes, your bedside clock is right and sometimes, it is not. Occassionally, the bedside clock alarm goes off because they forget to clear it before giving you a room.

The Granduca has good bones-- a nice building; great rooms with lots of space and small kitchens; and a good location. But bones do not make a great hotel. A great hotel is about the service and there is no service at the Granduca.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
11 Thank Gutreaction
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your last visit to our hotel. I am truly sorry Hotel Granduca disappointed you. I do welcome the opportunity to speak with you at your convenience. I was able to leave a message in your suite during your stay. I am certain you did not recieve my message as I was inviting you to join me for breakfast to address your concerns. The entire team looks forward to making your next visit a memorable one.